Testing and imposing Slutsky symmetry in nonparametric demand systems
Maximization of utility implies that consumer demand systems have a Slutsky matrix which is everywhere symmetric. However, previous non- and semi-parametric approaches to the estimation of consumer demand systems do not give estimators that are restricted to satisfy this condition, nor do they offer powerful tests of this restriction. We use nonparametric modeling to test and impose Slutsky symmetry in a system of expenditure share equations over prices and expenditure. In this context, Slutsky symmetry is a set of nonlinear cross-equation restrictions on levels and derivatives of consumer demand equations. The key insight is that due to the differing convergence rates of levels and derivatives and due to the fact that the symmetry restrictions are linear in derivatives, both the test and the symmetry restricted estimator behave asymptotically as if these restrictions were (locally) linear. We establish large and finite sample properties of our methods, and show that our test has advantages over the only other comparable test. All methods we propose are implemented with Canadian micro-data. We find that our nonparametric analysis yields statistically significantly and qualitatively different results from traditional parametric estimators and tests.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1991. "On the asymptotic normality of Fourier flexible form estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 329-353, December.
- Brown, Bryan W & Walker, Mary Beth, 1989. "The Random Utility Hypothesis and Inference in Demand Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 815-29, July.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1995. "Consistent nonparametric hypothesis tests with an application to Slutsky symmetry," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 379-401, June.
- Richard Blundell & Alan Duncan & Krishna Pendakur, 1998. "Semiparametric estimation and consumer demand," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 435-461.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1999.
"Estimation in large and disaggregated demand systems: an estimator for conditionally linear systems,"
- Blundell, Richard & Robin, Jean Marc, 1999. "Estimation in Large and Disaggregated Demand Systems: An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 209-32, May-June.
- R, Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1997. "Estimation in Large and Dissagregated Demand Systems : An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems," Working Papers 97-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Arthur Lewbel & Krishna Pendakur, 2006.
"Tricks With Hicks: The EASI Demand System,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
651, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 26 Nov 2008.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Bickel, Peter J. & Stoker, Thomas M., 2001. "Goodness-of-fit tests for kernel regression with an application to option implied volatilities," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 363-412, December.
- Hoderlein, Stefan, 2011.
"How many consumers are rational?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 294-309, October.
- Stefan Hoderlein, 2009. "How many consumers are rational?," CeMMAP working papers CWP32/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stefan Hoderlein, 2009. "How Many Consumers are Rational?," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 748, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tripathi, Gautam & Kim, Woocheol, 2000.
"Nonparametric estimation of homogeneous function,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2000,85, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1982. "Consistent model specification tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 105-134, October.
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & A. TSYBAKOV, 1995.
"Local Polynomial Estimators of the Volatility Function in Nonparametric Autoregression,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1995,42, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hardle, W. & Tsybakov, A., 1997. "Local polynomial estimators of the volatility function in nonparametric autoregression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 223-242, November.
- Gozalo, Pedro L., 1997. "Nonparametric bootstrap analysis with applications to demographic effects in demand functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 357-393, December.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Yatchew, Adonis J., 1985. "Non-parametric hypothesis testing procedures and applications to demand analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 149-169.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2001. "Demand Systems with and without Errors," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 611-618, June.
- Herman J. Bierens & Werner Ploberger, 1997.
"Asymptotic Theory of Integrated Conditional Moment Tests,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1129-1152, September.
- Bierens, H.J. & Ploberger, W., 1995. "Asymptotic theory of integrated conditional moment tests," Discussion Paper 1995-124, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, July.
- Li, Q. & Wang, Suojin, 1998. "A simple consistent bootstrap test for a parametric regression function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 145-165, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:153:y:2009:i:1:p:33-50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.