Semiparametric indirect utility and consumer demand
A semiparametric model of consumer demand is considered. In the model, the indirect utility function is specified as a partially linear, where utility is nonparametric in expenditure and parametric (with fixed- or varying-coefficients) in prices. Because the starting point is a model of indirect utility, rationality restrictions like homogeneity and Slutsky symmetry are easily imposed. The resulting model for expenditure shares (as functions of expenditures and prices) is locally given by a fraction whose numerator is partially linear, but whose denominator is nonconstant and given by the derivative of the numerator. The basic insight is that given a local polynomial model for the numerator, the denominator is given by a lower order local polynomial. The model can thus be estimated using modified versions of local polynomial modeling techniques. For inference, a new asymmetric version of the wild bootstrap is introduced. Monte Carlo evidence that the proposed technique's work is provided as well as an implementation of the model on Canadian consumer expenditure and price micro-data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deschamps, Philippe J., 1988. "A note on the maximum likehood estimation of allocation systems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 109-112, March.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J & Stoker, Thomas M, 1980. "Welfare Comparison under Exact Aggregation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 268-272, May.
- Pendakur, Krishna, 2002.
"Taking prices seriously in the measurement of inequality,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 47-69, October.
- Pendakur, K., 1999. "Taking Prices Seriously in the Measurement of Inequality," Discussion Papers dp99-7, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Haag, Berthold R. & Hoderlein, Stefan & Pendakur, Krishna, 2009. "Testing and imposing Slutsky symmetry in nonparametric demand systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 33-50, November.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- Arthur Lewbel & Krishna Pendakur, 2009. "Tricks with Hicks: The EASI Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(3), pages 827-863, June.
- Arthur Lewbel & Krishna Pendakur, 2006. "Tricks With Hicks: The EASI Demand System," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 651, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 26 Nov 2008.
- Krishna Pendakur & Stefan Sperlich, 2010. "Semiparametric estimation of consumer demand systems in real expenditure," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 420-457.
- Camilo Sarmiento, 2005. "A Varying Coefficient Approach to Global Flexibility in Demand Analysis: A Semiparametric Approximation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(1), pages 38-47.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.
- Richard Blundell & Alan Duncan & Krishna Pendakur, 1998. "Semiparametric estimation and consumer demand," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 435-461.
- Slottje, Daniel, 2008. "Estimating demand systems and measuring consumer preferences," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 207-209, December.
- Mazzocchi, Mario, 2006. "Time patterns in UK demand for alcohol and tobacco: an application of the EM algorithm," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2191-2205, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:54:y:2010:i:11:p:2763-2775. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.