Time reversibility of stationary regular finite-state Markov chains
We propose an alternate parameterization of stationary regular finite-state Markov chains, and a decomposition of the parameter into time reversible and time irreversible parts. We demonstrate some useful properties of the decomposition, and propose an index for a certain type of time irreversibility. Two empirical examples illustrate the use of the proposed parameter, decomposition and index. One involves observed states; the other, latent states.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott S. L., 2002. "Bayesian Methods for Hidden Markov Models: Recursive Computing in the 21st Century," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 337-351, March.
- Sims, Christopher A., 2003. "Implications of rational inattention," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 665-690, April.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1988. "A Theory of Dynamic Oligopoly, II: Price Competition, Kinked Demand Curves, and Edgeworth Cycles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 571-99, May.
- Serge Darolles & Jean-Pierre Florens & Christian Gourieroux, 2004.
"Kernel-based nonlinear canonical analysis and time reversibility,"
- Darolles, Serge & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Gourieroux, Christian, 2004. "Kernel-based nonlinear canonical analysis and time reversibility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 323-353, April.
- Serge Darolles & Jean-Pierre Florens & Christian Gourieroux, 2000. "Kernel Based Nonlinear Canonical Analysis and Time Reversibility," Working Papers 2000-18, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- William McCausland, 1999.
"Using the BACC Software for Bayesian Inference,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
833, Society for Computational Economics.
- Fong, Wai Mun, 2003. "Time reversibility tests of volume-volatility dynamics for stock returns," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 39-45, October.
- Chib, Siddhartha, 1996. "Calculating posterior distributions and modal estimates in Markov mixture models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 79-97, November.
- McCAUSLAND, William J., 2004.
"Time Reversibility of Stationary Regular Finite State Markov Chains,"
Cahiers de recherche
09-2004, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- McCausland, William J., 2007. "Time reversibility of stationary regular finite-state Markov chains," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 303-318, January.
- McCAUSLAND, William, 2004. "Time Reversibility of Stationary Regular Finite State Markov Chains," Cahiers de recherche 2004-07, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- P. M. Robinson, 1991. "Consistent Nonparametric Entropy-Based Testing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 437-453.
- Ramsey, J.B. & Rothman, P., 1993.
"Time Irreversibility and Business Cycle Asymmetry,"
93-39, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- John F. Geweke, 1998.
"Using simulation methods for Bayesian econometric models: inference, development, and communication,"
249, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- John Geweke, 1999. "Using simulation methods for bayesian econometric models: inference, development,and communication," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 1-73.
- Chen, Yi-Ting & Chou, Ray Y. & Kuan, Chung-Ming, 2000. "Testing time reversibility without moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 199-218, March.
- Eckert, Andrew, 2003. "Retail price cycles and the presence of small firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 151-170, February.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig & Michael Clements, 2000.
"Business Cycle Asymmetries: Characterisation and Testing based on Markov-Switching Autoregressions,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2000-W32, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Michael P & Krolzig, Hans-Martin, 2003. "Business Cycle Asymmetries: Characterization and Testing Based on Markov-Switching Autoregressions," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(1), pages 196-211, January.
- Clements, M.P. & Krolzig, H-M., 1999. "Business Cycle Asymmetries: Characterisationand Testing Based on Markov-Switching Autoregression," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 522, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Melvin J. Hinich & Philip Rothman, .
"A Frequency Domain Test of Time Reversibility,"
9706, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Andrew Eckert, 2002. "Retail price cycles and response asymmetry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(1), pages 52-77, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:136:y:2007:i:1:p:303-318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.