Copulas and Temporal Dependence
An emerging literature in time series econometrics concerns the modeling of potentially nonlinear temporal dependence in stationary Markov chains using copula functions. We obtain conditions that imply a geometric rate of mixing in models of this kind. A geometric rate of beta-mixing is shown to obtain under a rather strong condition that rules out asymmetry and tail dependence in the copula function. Rho-mixing, which implies a geometric rate of alpha-mixing, is obtained under a much weaker condition. We verify one or both of these conditions for a range of parametric copula functions that are opular in applied work.
|Date of creation:||22 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (858) 534-3383
Fax: (858) 534-7040
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsdecon/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gagliardini, Patrick & Gourieroux, Christian, 2007. "An efficient nonparametric estimator for models with nonlinear dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 189-229, March.
- Lorraine Dearden & Emla Fitzsimons & Alissa Goodman & Greg Kaplan, 2007.
"Higher education funding reforms in England: the distributional effects and the shifting balance of costs,"
IFS Working Papers
W07/18, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lorraine Dearden & Emla Fitzsimons & Alissa Goodman & Greg Kaplan, 2008. "Higher Education Funding Reforms in England: The Distributional Effects and the Shifting Balance of Costs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(526), pages F100-F125, 02.
- McCAUSLAND, William J., 2004.
"Time Reversibility of Stationary Regular Finite State Markov Chains,"
Cahiers de recherche
09-2004, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- McCausland, William J., 2007. "Time reversibility of stationary regular finite-state Markov chains," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 303-318, January.
- McCAUSLAND, William, 2004. "Time Reversibility of Stationary Regular Finite State Markov Chains," Cahiers de recherche 2004-07, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Xiaohong Chen & Lars P. Hansen & Marine Carrasco, 2009.
"Nonlinearity and Temporal Dependence,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Xiaohong Chen & Lars P. Hansen & Marine Carrasco, 2009. "Nonlinearity and Temporal Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1652R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Hansen, Lars Peter & Carrasco, Marine, 2008. "Nonlinearity and Temporal Dependence," Working Papers 48, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Xiaohong Chen & Lars P. Hansen & Marine Carrasco, 2008. "Nonlinearity and Temporal Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1652, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Brendan K. Beare, 2007. "A New Mixing Condition," Economics Series Working Papers 348, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- P. Gagliardini & C. Gourieroux, 2008.
"Duration time-series models with proportional hazard,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 74-124, 01.
- Patrick Gagliardini & Christian Gourieroux, 2002. "Duration Time Series Models with Proportional Hazard," Working Papers 2002-21, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation of copula-based semiparametric time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 307-335, February.
- Rustam Ibragimov, 2005. "Copula-Based Dependence Characterizations and Modeling for Time Series," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2094, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsdec:qt2880q2jq. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.