Copulas and Temporal Dependence
An emerging literature in time series econometrics concerns the modeling of potentially nonlinear temporal dependence in stationary Markov chains using copula functions. We obtain conditions that imply a geometric rate of mixing in models of this kind. A geometric rate of beta-mixing is shown to obtain under a rather strong condition that rules out asymmetry and tail dependence in the copula function. Rho-mixing, which implies a geometric rate of alpha-mixing, is obtained under a much weaker condition. We verify one or both of these conditions for a range of parametric copula functions that are opular in applied work.
|Date of creation:||22 Sep 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0508|
Phone: (858) 534-3383
Fax: (858) 534-7040
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsdecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCausland, William J., 2007.
"Time reversibility of stationary regular finite-state Markov chains,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 303-318, January.
- McCAUSLAND, William, 2004. "Time Reversibility of Stationary Regular Finite State Markov Chains," Cahiers de recherche 2004-07, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- McCAUSLAND, William J., 2004. "Time Reversibility of Stationary Regular Finite State Markov Chains," Cahiers de recherche 09-2004, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- P. Gagliardini & C. Gourieroux, 2008. "Duration time-series models with proportional hazard," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 74-124, 01.
- Patrick Gagliardini & Christian Gourieroux, 2002. "Duration Time Series Models with Proportional Hazard," Working Papers 2002-21, Center for Research in Economics and Statistics.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Hansen, Lars Peter & Carrasco, Marine, 2010. "Nonlinearity and temporal dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 155(2), pages 155-169, April.
- Xiaohong Chen & Lars P. Hansen & Marine Carrasco, 2008. "Nonlinearity and Temporal Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1652, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Xiaohong Chen & Lars P. Hansen & Marine Carrasco, 2009. "Nonlinearity and Temporal Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1652R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Xiaohong Chen & Lars P. Hansen & Marine Carrasco, 2009. "Nonlinearity and Temporal Dependence," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-17, CIRANO.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Hansen, Lars Peter & Carrasco, Marine, 2008. "Nonlinearity and Temporal Dependence," Working Papers 48, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Lorraine Dearden & Emla Fitzsimons & Alissa Goodman & Greg Kaplan, 2008. "Higher Education Funding Reforms in England: The Distributional Effects and the Shifting Balance of Costs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(526), pages 100-125, February.
- Lorraine Dearden & Emla Fitzsimons & Alissa Goodman & Greg Kaplan, 2007. "Higher education funding reforms in England: the distributional effects and the shifting balance of costs," IFS Working Papers W07/18, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Gagliardini, Patrick & Gourieroux, Christian, 2007. "An efficient nonparametric estimator for models with nonlinear dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 189-229, March.
- Rustam Ibragimov, 2005. "Copula-Based Dependence Characterizations and Modeling for Time Series," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2094, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation of copula-based semiparametric time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 307-335, February.
- Xiaohong Chen & Wei Biao Wu & Yanping Yi, 2009. "Efficient Estimation of Copula-based Semiparametric Markov Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1691, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Mar 2009.
- Brendan K. Beare, 2007. "A New Mixing Condition," Economics Series Working Papers 348, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Arcones, Miguel A., 1995. "On the central limit theorem for U-statistics under absolute regularity," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 245-249, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsdec:qt2880q2jq. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.