School quality, educational attainment and aggregation bias
Data from 31 countries participating in the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) is used to estimate education production functions for reading literacy.The analysis suggests that the probability of finding tatistically significant and correctly signed class size effects increases the higher the level of aggregation used to measure class size.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2002.
"The Role of Background Factors for Reading Literacy: Straight National Scores in the PISA 2000 Study,"
IZA Discussion Papers
545, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M, 2002. "The Role of Background Factors for Reading Literacy: Straight National scores in the Pisa 2000 Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 3544, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hanushek, Eric A & Rivkin, Steven G & Taylor, Lori L, 1996.
"Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 611-627, November.
- Hanushek, E-A & Rivkin, S-G & Taylor, L-L, 1995. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," RCER Working Papers 397, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Eric A. Hanushek & Steven G. Rivkin & Lori L. Taylor, 1996. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," NBER Working Papers 5548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanushek, Eric A., 2006. "School Resources," Handbook of the Economics of Education, Elsevier.
- Christian Dustmann, 2003. "The Class Size Debate and Educational Mechanisms: Editorial," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages 1-2, February.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-1177, September.
- Hanushek, E.A.omson, W., 1996. "Assessing the Effects of School Resources on Student Performance : An Update," RCER Working Papers 424, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:88:y:2005:i:1:p:109-114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.