School Quality, Educational Attainment and Aggregation Bias
Data from 31 countries participating in the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) is used to estimate education production functions for reading literacy.The analysis suggests that the probability of finding statistically significant and correctly signed class size effects increases the higher the level of aggregation used to measure class size.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M, 2002.
"The Role of Background Factors for Reading Literacy: Straight National scores in the Pisa 2000 Study,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3544, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2002. "The Role of Background Factors for Reading Literacy: Straight National Scores in the PISA 2000 Study," IZA Discussion Papers 545, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eric A. Hanushek & Steven G. Rivkin & Lori L. Taylor, 1996.
"Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources,"
NBER Working Papers
5548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanushek, Eric A & Rivkin, Steven G & Taylor, Lori L, 1996. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 611-27, November.
- Hanushek, E-A & Rivkin, S-G & Taylor, L-L, 1995. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," RCER Working Papers 397, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hanushek, E.A.omson, W., 1996. "Assessing the Effects of School Resources on Student Performance : An Update," RCER Working Papers 424, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Christian Dustmann, 2003. "The Class Size Debate and Educational Mechanisms: Editorial," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F1-F2, February.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:dpaper:0009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.