The Oaxaca decomposition generalized to a continuous group variable
Almost universally, the Oaxaca (1973) decomposition is used to compare the outcomes between two discrete groups, e.g., black and white. In many applications, however, groups are not readily divided into discrete bins. The purpose of this paper is to extend the Oaxaca decomposition to examine differences amongst groups that are most naturally modeled as at points in a continuum. The gap can vary by values of the group variable.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donohue, John J, III & Levitt, Steven D, 2001. "The Impact of Race on Policing and Arrests," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(2), pages 367-394, October.
- Stephen V. Cameron & James J. Heckman, 2001. "The Dynamics of Educational Attainment for Black, Hispanic, and White Males," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(3), pages 455-499, June.
- Hugo R. Ñopo, 2007.
"An Extension of the Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition to a Continuum of Comparison Groups,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6850, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Ñopo, Hugo, 2008. "An extension of the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition to a continuum of comparison groups," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 292-296, August.
- Nopo, Hugo R., 2007. "An Extension of the Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition to a Continuum of Comparison Groups," IZA Discussion Papers 2921, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hugo Ñopo, 2007. "An Extension of the Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition to a Continuum of Comparison Groups," Research Department Publications 4532, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Mats Bergman & Malcolm Coate & Maria Jakobsson & Shawn Ulrick, 2010. "Comparing Merger Policies in the European Union and the United States," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 36(4), pages 305-331, June.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:115:y:2012:i:1:p:35-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.