The uncertain moral context of price changes
The purpose of this paper is to motivate a microeconomic model of consumption in which there is uncertainty that is not resolved ex post regarding the moral context of price changes. We show that neoclassical microeconomic theory can yield a result in which expected utility falls when a consumer who is sufficiently concerned for the uncertain moral context of production is faced with a falling price.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1908, David K. Levine.
- Julian Rode & Robin Hogarth & Marc Le Menestrel, 2004.
"Ethical differentiation and market behavior: An experimental approach,"
Economics Working Papers
779, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 2006.
- Rode, Julian & Hogarth, Robin M. & Le Menestrel, Marc, 2008. "Ethical differentiation and market behavior: An experimental approach," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 265-280, May.
- Julian Rode & Robin Hogarth & Marc Le Menestrel, 2005. "Ethical differentiation and market behavior: An experimental approach," Working Papers 112, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Kjell Arne Brekke & Snorre Kverndokk & Karinen Nyborg, 2000.
"An Economic Model of Moral Motivation,"
290, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Bruno S. Frey & Alois Stutzer, .
"Beyond Outcomes: Measuring Procedural Utility,"
IEW - Working Papers
076, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Frey, Bruno S. & Stutzer, Alois, 2002. "Beyond Outcomes: Measuring Procedural Utility," Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series qt7qp9q1js, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Eugene Beaulieu & James Gaisford, 2002. "Labour and Environmental Standards: The 'Lemons Problem' in International Trade Policy," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 59-78, 01.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Evans, William N, 1990. "Utility Functions That Depend on Health Status: Estimates and Economic Implications," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 353-74, June.
- Matthew J. Kotchen & Michael R. Moore, 2004.
"Private Provision of Environmental Public Goods: Household Participation in Green-Electricity Programs,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2004-07, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Kotchen, Matthew J. & Moore, Michael R., 2007. "Private provision of environmental public goods: Household participation in green-electricity programs," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-16, January.
- M. Bilodeau & N. Gravel, 1997.
"Voluntary provision of a public good and individual morality,"
THEMA Working Papers
97-31, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Bilodeau, Marc & Gravel, Nicolas, 2004. "Voluntary provision of a public good and individual morality," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 645-666, March.
- Bilodeau, M. & Gravel, N., 1997. "Voluntary Provision of a Public Good and Individual Morality," Papers 9731, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Kyle Bagwell & Michael Riordan, 1988.
"High and Declining Prices Signal Product Quality,"
808, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- W. Viscusi & Harrell Chesson, 1999. "Hopes and Fears: the Conflicting Effects of Risk Ambiguity," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 157-184, October.
- Teisl, Mario F. & Roe, Brian & Hicks, Robert L., 2002. "Can Eco-Labels Tune a Market? Evidence from Dolphin-Safe Labeling," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 339-359, May.
- Evans, William N & Viscusi, W Kip, 1991. "Estimation of State-Dependent Utility Functions Using Survey Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 94-104, February.
- Bruno S. Frey & Matthias Benz & Alois Stutzer, .
"Introducing Procedural Utility: Not only What, but also How Matters,"
IEW - Working Papers
129, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bruno Frey & Matthias Benz & Alois Stutzer, 2004. "Introducing Procedural Utility: Not Only What, but Also How Matters," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 160(3), pages 377-, September.
- Bruno S. Frey & Matthias Benz & Alois Stutzer, 2003. "Introducing Procedural Utility: Not only What, but also How Matters," CREMA Working Paper Series 2003-02, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard, 1986. "Fairness as a Constraint on Profit Seeking: Entitlements in the Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 728-41, September.
- Jeffrey Wagner & Luiz Freitas, 2007. "Capturing moral economic context," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(14), pages 1-10.
- Jones-Lee, Michael W, 1974. "The Value of Changes in the Probability of Death or Injury," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 835-49, July/Aug..
- Anderson, Johan & Vadnjal, Dan & Uhlin, Hans-Erik, 2000. "Moral dimensions of the WTA-WTP disparity: an experimental examination," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 153-162, January.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Magat, Wesley A, 1992. " Bayesian Decisions with Ambiguous Belief Aversion," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 371-87, October.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1975. "Macroeconomic Constraints, Economic Efficiency and Ethics: An Introduction to Kantian Economics," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(168), pages 430-37, November.
- Truffer, Bernhard & Markard, Jochen & Wustenhagen, Rolf, 2001. "Eco-labeling of electricity--strategies and tradeoffs in the definition of environmental standards," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 885-897, September.
- Philippe Mahenc, 2007. "Are green products over-priced?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(4), pages 461-473, December.
- Trudy Ann Cameron, 2001.
"Updating Subjective Risks in the Presence of Conflicting Information: An Application to Climate Change,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2003-8, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 14 Jul 2001.
- Trudy Cameron, 2005. "Updating Subjective Risks in the Presence of Conflicting Information: An Application to Climate Change," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 63-97, January.
- Nyborg, Karine & Howarth, Richard B. & Brekke, Kjell Arne, 2006.
"Green consumers and public policy: On socially contingent moral motivation,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 351-366, November.
- Nyborg, Karine & Howarth, Richard B. & Brekke, Kjell Arne, 2003. "Green consumers and public policy: On socially contingent moral motivation," Memorandum 31/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Abeysuriya, Kumudini & Mitchell, Cynthia & White, Stuart, 2007. "Can corporate social responsibility resolve the sanitation question in developing Asian countries?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 174-183, April.
- Bulte, Erwin H. & van Kooten, G. Cornelis, 2001. "Harvesting and conserving a species when numbers are low: population viability and gambler's ruin in bioeconomic models," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 87-100, April.
- Asher Wolinsky, 1983. "Prices as Signals of Product Quality," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 647-658.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:14:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cason, Timothy N. & Gangadharan, Lata, 2002.
"Environmental Labeling and Incomplete Consumer Information in Laboratory Markets,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 113-134, January.
- Cason, T.N. & Gangadharan, L., 1999. "Environmental Labeling and Incomplete Consumer Information in Laboratory Markets," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 708, The University of Melbourne.
- Edi Karni & Zvi Safra, 2002. "Individual Sense of Justice: A Utility Representation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 263-284, January.
- Webb, Deborah J. & Mohr, Lois A. & Harris, Katherine E., 2008. "A re-examination of socially responsible consumption and its measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 91-98, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:68:y:2009:i:4:p:1100-1105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.