Investment creation and diversion effects of the ASEAN–China free trade agreement
The ASEAN–China free trade agreement went into effect January 1, 2010 and became the world's third largest FTA by trade volume after the European Economic Area and the North American Free Trade Agreement. This paper focuses on highlighting the impacts of the reduction of barriers to trade on investment in a dynamic general computable equilibrium framework. We present and compare two alternative views/models of investment which yield different investment creation and diversion effects. As a first step, we adapt the dynamic GTAP model to take account of bilateral ownership of investment. Two versions of the model are considered. The first version is an example of applied models of investment demand, while the second is a model of investment supply. The two versions are based on different assumptions in their determination of cross-border investment. We simulate the implementation of ACFTA and we focus on the welfare impacts of investment creation and diversion.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Richard E, 1992.
"Measurable Dynamic Gains from Trade,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 162-74, February.
- Swenson, Deborah L., 1994. "The impact of U.S. tax reform on foreign direct investment in the United States," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 243-266, June.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tingsong Jiang & Warwick McKibbin, 2009.
"What Does a Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific Mean to China?,"
in: Chinaâ€™s Integration with the Global Economy, chapter 5
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Tingsong Jiang & Warwick McKibbin, 2008. "What Does A Free Trade Area Of The Asia-Pacific Mean To China," CAMA Working Papers 2008-10, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ianchovichina,Elena & Walmsley,Terrie L. (ed.), 2012. "Dynamic Modeling and Applications for Global Economic Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107011694, June.
- Jung, Hong-Sang & Thorbecke, Erik, 2003. "The impact of public education expenditure on human capital, growth, and poverty in Tanzania and Zambia: a general equilibrium approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 701-725, November.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth, 2002. "On the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries: Is Africa Different?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 107-119, January.
- Ianchovichina,Elena & Walmsley,Terrie L. (ed.), 2012. "Dynamic Modeling and Applications for Global Economic Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107002432, June.
- Springer, Katrin, 1998. "The DART general equilibrium model: A technical description," Kiel Working Papers 883, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Yvan Decreux & Jean-Louis Guérin & Sébastien Jean, 2002. "MIRAGE, a Computable General Equilibrium Model for Trade Policy Analysis," Working Papers 2002-17, CEPII research center.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Powell, Alan A., 1984. "A Critique Of The Constant Elasticity Of Transformation (Cet) Linear Supply System," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(02), December.
- Hugo ROJAS-ROMAGOSA & Arjan LEJOUR & Gerard VERWEIJ, .
"Opening Services Markets within Europe: Modelling Foreign Establishments in a CGE Framework,"
- Lejour, Arjan & Rojas-Romagosa, Hugo & Verweij, Gerard, 2008. "Opening services markets within Europe: Modelling foreign establishments in a CGE framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1022-1039, September.
- Arjan Lejour & Hugo Rojas-Romagosa & Verweij. G., 2007. "Opening services markets within Europe; modelling foreign establishments in a CGE framework," CPB Discussion Paper 80, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685, March.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991.
"Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-26, May.
- Arjan Lejour & Paul Veenendaal & Gerard Verweij & Nico van Leeuwen, 2006. "Worldscan; a model for international economic policy analysis," CPB Document 111, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Offerdal, Erik, 1989. "Capital markets and computable general equilibrium models: Comparative statics without apology?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 191-212.
- Joel Slemrod, 1989.
"Tax Effects on Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: Evidence from a Cross-Country Comparison,"
NBER Working Papers
3042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joel B. Slemrod, 1990. "Tax Effects on Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: Evidence from a Cross-Country Comparison," NBER Chapters, in: Taxation in the Global Economy, pages 79-122 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- François Bourguignon & William H. Branson & Jaime de Melo, 1989. "Macroeconomic Adjustment and Income Distribution: A Macro-Micro Simulation Model," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 1, OECD Publishing.
- Hiro Lee & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 2001. "A General Equilibrium Analysis of the Interplay between Foreign Direct Investment and Trade Adjustments," Discussion Paper Series 119, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Jul 2001.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6497 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard E. Baldwin & Rikard Forslid & Jan I. Haaland, 1996. "Investment Creation and Diversion in Europe," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(6), pages 635-659, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:29:y:2012:i:3:p:766-779. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.