A General Equilibrium Analysis of the Interplay between Foreign Direct Investment and Trade Adjustments
The theoretical literature on trade and foreign direct investment (FDI) indicates that they could be either substitutes or complements. The empirical evidence on U.S.-Japan and Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) countries suggests that trade and FDI exhibit a complementary relationship. In this paper, we employ a multi-region, multisectoral computable general equilibrium (CGE) model that incorporates FDI to evaluate the impact of APEC trade and investment liberalization on economic welfare and the interplay between FDI and trade adjustments.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2001|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford & David Tarr, 2000.
"Foreign Direct Investments in Services and the Domestic Market for Expertise,"
NBER Working Papers
7700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David, 2000. "Foreign direct investment in services and the domestic market for expertise," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2413, The World Bank.
- Linda Low & Eric D. Ramstetter & Henry Wai-Chung Yeung, 1996.
"Accounting for Outward Direct Investment from Hong Kong and Singapore: Who Controls What?,"
NBER Working Papers
5858, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda Low & Eric D. Ramstetter & Henry Wai-Chung Yeung, 1998. "Accounting for Outward Direct Investment from Hong Kong and Singapore: Who Controls What?," NBER Chapters, in: Geography and Ownership as Bases for Economic Accounting, pages 139-172 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George Verikios & Xiao-guang Zhang, 2004. "The Economic Effects of Removing Barriers to Trade in Telecommunications," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 435-458, 03.
- Terrie L. Walmsley, 1999. "Incorporating International Capital Ownership into the GTAP Model: Results for Asia-Pacific Trade Liberalisation," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-72, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kob:dpaper:119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office of Promoting Research Collaboration, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.