Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment Inflows: Time Series Evidence from the US
This study investigates long run and short run relationships between the corporate income tax rate and foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows to the US. The tax rate is found to exert a significant negative effect on total FDI and transfer fund inflows in the long run. A 1% decrease in the tax rate would increase total FDI by 2.4% and transfer funds by 4.2%. Collectively, results suggest that the US can use tax policies to attract FDI from abroad. Concern over the possibility of tax competition among countries to attract foreign capital is warranted.
Volume (Year): 35 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RGER20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RGER20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Swenson, Deborah L., 1994. "The impact of U.S. tax reform on foreign direct investment in the United States," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 243-266, June.
- Joel Slemrod, 1989.
"Tax Effects on Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: Evidence from a Cross-Country Comparison,"
NBER Working Papers
3042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joel B. Slemrod, 1990. "Tax Effects on Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: Evidence from a Cross-Country Comparison," NBER Chapters, in: Taxation in the Global Economy, pages 79-122 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Cassou, 1997. "The link between tax rates and foreign direct investment," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(10), pages 1295-1301.
- Murthy, N.R. Vasudeva, 1989. "The Effects of Taxes and Rates of Return on Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: Some Econometric Comments," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 42(2), pages 205-07, June.
- de Mooij, Ruud A & Ederveen, Sjef, 2003.
"Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 10(6), pages 673-93, November.
- Ruud de Mooij & S. Ederveen, 2001. "Taxation and foreign direct investment; a synthesis of empirical research," CPB Discussion Paper 3, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2001. "Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research," CESifo Working Paper Series 588, CESifo Group Munich.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Michael J. Boskin & William G. Gale, 1986.
"New Results on the Effects of Tax Policy on the International Location of Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
1862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Boskin & William G. Gale, 1987. "New Results on the Effects of Tax Policy on the International Location of Investment," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation, pages 201-222 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myron S. Scholes & Mark A. Wolfson, 1989.
"The Effects of Changes in Tax Laws on Corporate Reorganization Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
3095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scholes, Myron S & Wolfson, Mark A, 1990. "The Effects of Changes in Tax Laws on Corporate Reorganization Activity," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(1), pages S141-64, January.
- James R. Hines, Jr., 1996. "Tax Policy and the Activities of Multinational Corporations," NBER Working Papers 5589, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:glecrv:v:35:y:2006:i:2:p:135-143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.