A review of computer tools for analysing the integration of renewable energy into various energy systems
This paper includes a review of the different computer tools that can be used to analyse the integration of renewable energy. Initially 68 tools were considered, but 37 were included in the final analysis which was carried out in collaboration with the tool developers or recommended points of contact. The results in this paper provide the information necessary to identify a suitable energy tool for analysing the integration of renewable energy into various energy-systems under different objectives. It is evident from this paper that there is no energy tool that addresses all issues related to integrating renewable energy, but instead the [`]ideal' energy tool is highly dependent on the specific objectives that must be fulfilled. The typical applications for the 37 tools reviewed (from analysing single-building systems to national energy-systems), combined with numerous other factors such as the energy-sectors considered, technologies accounted for, time parameters used, tool availability, and previous studies, will alter the perception of the [`]ideal' energy tool. In conclusion, this paper provides the information necessary to direct the decision-maker towards a suitable energy tool for an analysis that must be completed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 87 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Min & Lund, Henrik & Rosendahl, Lasse A. & Condra, Thomas J., 2010. "Energy efficiency analysis and impact evaluation of the application of thermoelectric power cycle to today's CHP systems," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(4), pages 1231-1238, April.
- Chen, Fengzhen & Duic, Neven & Manuel Alves, Luis & da Graça Carvalho, Maria, 2007. "Renewislands--Renewable energy solutions for islands," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(8), pages 1888-1902, October.
- Lund, Henrik & Duić, Neven & Krajac˘ić, Goran & Graça Carvalho, Maria da, 2007. "Two energy system analysis models: A comparison of methodologies and results," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 948-954.
- Toth, Ferenc L. & Rogner, Hans-Holger, 2006. "Oil and nuclear power: Past, present, and future," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Kikuchi, Emi & Bristow, David & Kennedy, Christopher A., 2009. "Evaluation of region-specific residential energy systems for GHG reductions: Case studies in Canadian cities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1257-1266, April.
- Al-Mansour, Fouad & Merse, Stane & Tomsic, Miha, 2003. "Comparison of energy efficiency strategies in the industrial sector of Slovenia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 421-440.
- Li, Jun, 2008. "Towards a low-carbon future in China's building sector--A review of energy and climate models forecast," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1736-1747, May.
- Vaillancourt, Kathleen & Labriet, Maryse & Loulou, Richard & Waaub, Jean-Philippe, 2008. "The role of nuclear energy in long-term climate scenarios: An analysis with the World-TIMES model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2296-2307, July.
- Münster, Marie & Lund, Henrik, 2009. "Use of waste for heat, electricity and transport—Challenges when performing energy system analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 636-644.
- Bürger, Veit & Klinski, Stefan & Lehr, Ulrike & Leprich, Uwe & Nast, Michael & Ragwitz, Mario, 2008. "Policies to support renewable energies in the heat market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 3140-3149, August.
- Cormio, C. & Dicorato, M. & Minoia, A. & Trovato, M., 2003. "A regional energy planning methodology including renewable energy sources and environmental constraints," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 99-130, April.
- Duic, Neven & Krajacic, Goran & da Graça Carvalho, Maria, 2008. "RenewIslands methodology for sustainable energy and resource planning for islands," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 1032-1062, May.
- Stadler, Michael & Kranzl, Lukas & Huber, Claus & Haas, Reinhard & Tsioliaridou, Elena, 2007. "Policy strategies and paths to promote sustainable energy systems--The dynamic Invert simulation tool," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 597-608, January.
- Kalogirou, Soteris A., 2001. "Use of TRNSYS for modelling and simulation of a hybrid pv–thermal solar system for Cyprus," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 247-260.
- Duic, Neven & da Graça Carvalho, Maria, 2004. "Increasing renewable energy sources in island energy supply: case study Porto Santo," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 383-399, August.
- Krey, Volker & Martinsen, Dag & Wagner, Hermann-Josef, 2007. "Effects of stochastic energy prices on long-term energy-economic scenarios," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2340-2349.
- Lund, Henrik & Clark, Woodrow W., 2002. "Management of fluctuations in wind power and CHP comparing two possible Danish strategies," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 471-483.
- Nguyen, Khanh Q., 2007. "Impacts of wind power generation and CO2 emission constraints on the future choice of fuels and technologies in the power sector of Vietnam," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2305-2312, April.
- Tuohy, Aidan & Meibom, Peter & Denny, Eleanor & O'Malley, Mark, 2009. "Unit commitment for systems with significant wind penetration," MPRA Paper 34849, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lund, Henrik & Munster, Ebbe, 2006. "Integrated energy systems and local energy markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1152-1160, July.
- Houri, Ahmad, 2006. "Solar water heating in Lebanon: Current status and future prospects," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 663-675.
- Lund, H. & Mathiesen, B.V., 2009. "Energy system analysis of 100% renewable energy systems—The case of Denmark in years 2030 and 2050," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 524-531.
- Rehman, S. & El-Amin, I.M. & Ahmad, F. & Shaahid, S.M. & Al-Shehri, A.M. & Bakhashwain, J.M. & Shash, A., 2007. "Feasibility study of hybrid retrofits to an isolated off-grid diesel power plant," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 635-653, May.
- Santisirisomboon, Jerasorn & Limmeechokchai, Bundit & Chungpaibulpatana, Supachart, 2001. "Impacts of biomass power generation and CO2 taxation on electricity generation expansion planning and environmental emissions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 975-985, October.
- Shafiei, Ehsan & Saboohi, Yadollah & Ghofrani, Mohammad B., 2009. "Impact of innovation programs on development of energy system: Case of Iranian electricity-supply system," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2221-2230, June.
- Son H. Kim, Jae Edmonds, Josh Lurz, Steven J. Smith, and Marshall Wise, 2006. "The objECTS Framework for integrated Assessment: Hybrid Modeling of Transportation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 63-92.
- Martinsen, Dag & Linssen, Jochen & Markewitz, Peter & Vogele, Stefan, 2007. "CCS: A future CO2 mitigation option for Germany?--A bottom-up approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2110-2120, April.
- Urban, F. & Benders, R.M.J. & Moll, H.C., 2007. "Modelling energy systems for developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3473-3482, June.
- Tsioliaridou, E. & Bakos, G.C. & Stadler, M., 2006. "A new energy planning methodology for the penetration of renewable energy technologies in electricity sector--application for the island of Crete," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3757-3764, December.
- Lund, H. & Münster, E., 2003. "Management of surplus electricity-production from a fluctuating renewable-energy source," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-3), pages 65-74, September.
- Lund, H & Münster, E, 2003. "Modelling of energy systems with a high percentage of CHP and wind power," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(14), pages 2179-2193.
- Souliotis, M. & Kalogirou, S. & Tripanagnostopoulos, Y., 2009. "Modelling of an ICS solar water heater using artificial neural networks and TRNSYS," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1333-1339.
- Rosen, Johannes & Tietze-Stöckinger, Ingela & Rentz, Otto, 2007. "Model-based analysis of effects from large-scale wind power production," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 575-583.
- Lund, Henrik, 2005. "Large-scale integration of wind power into different energy systems," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(13), pages 2402-2412.
- Iqbal, M.T., 2004. "A feasibility study of a zero energy home in Newfoundland," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 277-289.
- Blarke, M.B. & Lund, H., 2008. "The effectiveness of storage and relocation options in renewable energy systems," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1499-1507.
- Lund, Henrik & Kempton, Willett, 2008. "Integration of renewable energy into the transport and electricity sectors through V2G," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 3578-3587, September.
- Martinsen, Dag & Krey, Volker, 2008. "Compromises in energy policy--Using fuzzy optimization in an energy systems model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2973-2984, August.
- Kydes, Andy S., 2007. "Impacts of a renewable portfolio generation standard on US energy markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 809-814, February.
- Giatrakos, Georgios P. & Tsoutsos, Theocharis D. & Zografakis, Nikos, 2009. "Sustainable power planning for the island of Crete," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1222-1238, April.
- Kranzl, Lukas & Stadler, Michael & Huber, Claus & Haas, Reinhard & Ragwitz, Mario & Brakhage, Anselm & Gula, Adam & Figorski, Arkadiusz, 2006. "Deriving efficient policy portfolios promoting sustainable energy systems—Case studies applying Invert simulation tool," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(15), pages 2393-2410.
- Zoulias, E.I. & Glockner, R. & Lymberopoulos, N. & Tsoutsos, T. & Vosseler, I. & Gavalda, O. & Mydske, H.J. & Taylor, P., 2006. "Integration of hydrogen energy technologies in stand-alone power systems analysis of the current potential for applications," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 432-462, October.
- O'Neill, Brian C. & Desai, Mausami, 2005. "Accuracy of past projections of US energy consumption," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 979-993, May.
- EL-Shimy, M., 2009. "Viability analysis of PV power plants in Egypt," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2187-2196.
- Bekele, Getachew & Palm, Björn, 2009. "Wind energy potential assessment at four typical locations in Ethiopia," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 388-396, March.
- Yan, Xiaoyu & Crookes, Roy J., 2009. "Reduction potentials of energy demand and GHG emissions in China's road transport sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 658-668, February.
- Fichtner, W. & Goebelt, M. & Rentz, O., 2001. "The efficiency of international cooperation in mitigating climate change: analysis of joint implementation, the clean development mechanism and emission trading for the Federal Republic of Germany, th," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 817-830, August.
- Christoph Schlenzig, 1999. "Energy planning and environmental management with the information and decision support system MESAP," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 12(1/2/3/4/5), pages 81-91.
- Lund, Henrik, 2007. "Renewable energy strategies for sustainable development," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 912-919.
- Khan, M.J. & Iqbal, M.T., 2005. "Pre-feasibility study of stand-alone hybrid energy systems for applications in Newfoundland," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 835-854.
- Koomey, Jonathan G. & Webber, Carrie A. & Atkinson, Celina S. & Nicholls, Andrew, 2001. "Addressing energy-related challenges for the US buildings sector: results from the clean energy futures study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(14), pages 1209-1221, November.
- Tseng, Phillip & Lee, John & Friley, Paul, 2005. "A hydrogen economy: opportunities and challenges," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(14), pages 2703-2720.
- Hadley, S. W. & Short, W., 2001. "Electricity sector analysis in the clean energy futures study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(14), pages 1285-1298, November.
- Lund, H. & Siupsinskas, G. & Martinaitis, V., 2005. "Implementation strategy for small CHP-plants in a competitive market: the case of Lithuania," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 214-227, November.
- Jebaraj, S. & Iniyan, S., 2006. "A review of energy models," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 281-311, August.
- Martinsen, Dag & Krey, Volker & Markewitz, Peter, 2007. "Implications of high energy prices for energy system and emissions--The response from an energy model for Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4504-4515, September.
- Nakawiro, Thanawat & Bhattacharyya, Subhes C. & Limmeechokchai, Bundit, 2008. "Electricity capacity expansion in Thailand: An analysis of gas dependence and fuel import reliance," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 712-723.
- Lund, H., 2006. "Large-scale integration of optimal combinations of PV, wind and wave power into the electricity supply," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 503-515.
- Shilpa Rao and Keywan Riahi, 2006. "The Role of Non-CO2 Greenhouse Gases in Climate Change Mitigation: Long-term Scenarios for the 21st Century," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 177-200.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:87:y:2010:i:4:p:1059-1082. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.