Modelling rice and cotton acreage response in the Murray Darling Basin in Australia
Although water markets have been in operation for nearly 30years, previous empirical studies have ignored farmer’s land use response to water trading in the Murray-Darling Basin (MDB), Australia. A Nerlovian partial adjustment model of rice and cotton acreage response in the MDB were specified and estimated using data for the period 1965–2008. The results indicate that acreage response for rice and cotton with respect to the price of water are inelastic in both the short- and long-run. The findings of this study bring into question the effectiveness of water trading scheme as the primary means of ensuring the efficient use of water and highlight the need for other complementary measures in the MDB. The results of this study highlight the complex interdependencies of many factors that influence farmer’s land use decisions and draw an important conclusion that although water trading has increased the efficient use of irrigated water, its impact on farmers’ land use decisions has been too small to stimulate any significant reduction in irrigated water usage in the MDB.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mamingi, Nlandu, 1996. "How prices and macroeconomic policies affect agricultural supply and the environment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1645, The World Bank.
- Frank W. Agbola & Maylene Y. Damoense, 2005. "Time-series estimation of import demand functions for pulses in India," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(2), pages 146-157, May.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Productivity Commission, 2006. "Rural Water Use and the Environment: The Role of Market Mechanisms," Research Reports, Productivity Commission, Government of Australia, number 21.
- M. Ejaz Qureshi & Jeff Connor & Mac Kirby & Mohammed Mainuddin, 2007. "Economic assessment of acquiring water for environmental flows in the Murray Basin ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(3), pages 283-303, 09.
- Qureshi, Muhammad Ejaz & Connor, Jeffery D. & Kirby, Mac & Mainuddin, Mohammed, 2002. "Economic assessment of acquiring water for environmental flows in the Murray Basin," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(3), September.
- Wheeler, Sarah & Bjornlund, Henning & Zuo, Alec & Shanahan, Martin, 2010. "The changing profile of water traders in the Goulburn-Murray Irrigation District, Australia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(9), pages 1333-1343, September.
- Qureshi, M. Ejaz & Shi, Tian & Qureshi, Sumaira E. & Proctor, Wendy, 2009. "Removing barriers to facilitate efficient water markets in the Murray-Darling Basin of Australia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(11), pages 1641-1651, November.
- Russell Smyth & Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2009. "A Panel Data Analysis of the Military Expenditure-External Debt Nexus: Evidence from Six Middle Eastern Countries," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 46(2), pages 235-250, March.
- Mike Young & Darla Hatton MacDonald, 2000. "Interstate Water Trading: a 2-year Review," Natural Resource Management Economics 00_001, Policy and Economic Research Unit, CSIRO Land and Water, Adelaide, Australia.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Duffy, Patricia A. & Richardson, James W. & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 1987. "Regional Cotton Acreage Response," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Duffy, Patricia A. & Richardson, James W. & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 1987. "Regional Cotton Acreage Response," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 99-110, July.
- Brooks, Robert & Harris, Edwyna, 2008. "Efficiency gains from water markets: Empirical analysis of Watermove in Australia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 95(4), pages 391-399, April.
- Woon Gyu Choi & Seonghwan Oh, 2000. "Endogenous Money Supply and Money Demand," IMF Working Papers 00/188, International Monetary Fund.
- Deborah Peterson & Gavan Dwyer & David Appels & Jane Fry, 2005. "Water Trade in the Southern Murray-Darling Basin," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(s1), pages 115-127, 08.
- Peterson, Deborah C. & Dwyer, Gavan & Appels, David & Fry, Jane, 2004. "Modelling Water Trade in the Southern Murray-Darling Basin," Staff Working Papers 31925, Productivity Commission.
- D. Peterson & G. Dwyer & D. Appels & J. Fry, 2005. "Modelling Water Trade in the Southern Murray-Darling Basin," Urban/Regional 0506007, EconWPA.
- Gohar, Abdelaziz A. & Ward, Frank A., 2010. "Gains from expanded irrigation water trading in Egypt: An integrated basin approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(12), pages 2535-2548, October.
- Shi, Tian, 2006. "Simplifying complexity: Rationalising water entitlements in the Southern Connected River Murray System, Australia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 229-239, December.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- A. Farhad Chowdhury, 2002. "The impact of the acreage allotment program on rice farming," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 8(1), pages 49-57, February.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1994. "Markets in tradable water rights: Potential for efficiency gains in developing country water resource allocation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(11), pages 1613-1625, November.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:8:y:2002:i:1:p:49-57 is not listed on IDEAS
- M Ejaz Qureshi & Tian Shi & Sumaira Qureshi & Wendy Proctor & Mac Kirby, 2009. "Removing Barriers to Facilitate Efficient Water Markets in the Murray Darling Basin – A Case Study from Australia," Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series 2009-02, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-618, Nov.-Dec..
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Zaman, A.M. & Malano, H.M. & Davidson, B., 2009. "An integrated water trading-allocation model, applied to a water market in Australia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 149-159, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:107:y:2012:i:c:p:74-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.