Taxation under media capture
The paper investigates the implication of mass-media freedom on the level of taxation, using a panel-model approach. The data-set covers the period 2002-2010, including 120 states. The main obtained finding suggests a nonlinear cubic function, with U and inverted U-shapes. Except the minimal states, the study suggests the study suggests that a significant increase of taxes, without a major negative reaction of taxpayers, can be facile obtained if the mass-media is free or moderate controlled by govern and/or other interested groups. The policy response reaction has the same intensity in both cases.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Terence D. Agbeyegbe & Janet Gale Stotsky & Asegedech WoldeMariam, 2004.
"Trade Liberalization, Exchange Rate Changes, and Tax Revenue in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
IMF Working Papers
04/178, International Monetary Fund.
- Agbeyegbe, Terence D. & Stotsky, Janet & WoldeMariam, Asegedech, 2006. "Trade liberalization, exchange rate changes, and tax revenue in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 261-284, April.
- Terence D.Agbeyegbe & Janet G. Stotsky & Asegedech WoldeMariam, 2004. "Trade Liberalization, Exchange Rate Changes, and Tax Revenue in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 403, Hunter College Department of Economics, revised 2004.
- Mehmet Serkan Tosun & Sohrab Abizadeh, 2005. "Economic growth and tax components: an analysis of tax changes in OECD," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(19), pages 2251-2263.
- Olper, Alessandro & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009.
"Mass Media and Public Policy: Global Evidence from Agricultural Policies,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
51694, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alessandro Olper & Johan Swinnen, 2013. "Mass Media and Public Policy: Global Evidence from Agricultural Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 27(3), pages 413-436.
- Olper, Alessandro & Swinnen, Johan, 2013. "Mass media and public policy : global evidence from agricultural policies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6362, The World Bank.
- Alessandro Olper & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2009. "Mass Media and Public Policy:Global Evidence from Agricultural Policies," LICOS Discussion Papers 23209, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Marina Azzimonti, 2009.
"Barriers to investment in polarized societies,"
2009 Meeting Papers
1233, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Patrick A. Imam & Davina F. Jacobs, 2007.
"Effect of Corruption on Tax Revenues in the Middle East,"
IMF Working Papers
07/270, International Monetary Fund.
- Imam Patrick Amir & Jacobs Davina, 2014. "Effect of Corruption on Tax Revenues in the Middle East," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 24, April.
- Huizinga, H. & Nielsen, S.B., 1995.
"Capital Income and Profits Taxation with Foreign Ownership of Firms,"
9582, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Soren Bo, 1997. "Capital income and profit taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 149-165, February.
- Harry Huizinga & Soeren Bo Nielsen, . "Capital Income and Profits Taxation with Foreign Ownerwhip of Firms," EPRU Working Paper Series 95-09, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nielsen, S.B., 1997. "Capital income and profit taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Other publications TiSEM b4f6a916-7f7f-4fe1-9cf0-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nielsen, S.B., 1995. "Capital income and profits taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Discussion Paper 1995-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Katircioglu, Salih Turan, 2010. "Is There A Long-Run Relationship Between Taxation And Growth: The Case Of Turkey," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 99-106, March.
- Roshaiza Taha & Nanthakumar Loganathan, 2008. "Causality Between Tax Revenue And Government Spending In Malaysia," The International Journal of Business and Finance Research, The Institute for Business and Finance Research, vol. 2(2), pages 63-73.
- Petrova, Maria, 2008. "Inequality and media capture," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1-2), pages 183-212, February.
- Mihai Mutascu, 2011.
"Taxation and democracy,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 343-348, December.
- Odd-Helge Fjeldstad & Bertil Tungodden, 2001.
"Fiscal corruption: A vice or a virtue?,"
CMI Working Papers
WP 2001:13, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Bohn, Frank, 2003.
"Public Finance under Political Instability and Debt Conditionality,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
25, Royal Economic Society.
- Frank Bohn, 2002. "Public Finance under Political Instability and Debt Conditionality," Economics Discussion Papers 540, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Gaetano Lisi, 2011. "Job search theory and the slippery slope framework: an attempt to integration," Working Papers 2011-02, Universita' di Cassino, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00668. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.