Taxation under media capture
The paper investigates the implication of mass-media freedom on the level of taxation, using a panel-model approach. The data-set covers the period 2002-2010, including 120 states. The main obtained finding suggests a nonlinear cubic function, with U and inverted U-shapes. Except the minimal states, the study suggests the study suggests that a significant increase of taxes, without a major negative reaction of taxpayers, can be facile obtained if the mass-media is free or moderate controlled by govern and/or other interested groups. The policy response reaction has the same intensity in both cases.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Terence D.Agbeyegbe & Janet G. Stotsky & Asegedech WoldeMariam, 2004.
"Trade Liberalization, Exchange Rate Changes, and Tax Revenue in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College
403, Hunter College Department of Economics, revised 2004.
- Agbeyegbe, Terence D. & Stotsky, Janet & WoldeMariam, Asegedech, 2006. "Trade liberalization, exchange rate changes, and tax revenue in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 261-284, April.
- Marina Azzimonti, 2009.
"Barriers to investment in polarized societies,"
2009 Meeting Papers
1233, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Huizinga, H. & Nielsen, S.B., 1995.
"Capital Income and Profits Taxation with Foreign Ownership of Firms,"
9582, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Soren Bo, 1997. "Capital income and profit taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 149-165, February.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nielsen, S.B., 1997. "Capital income and profit taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Other publications TiSEM b4f6a916-7f7f-4fe1-9cf0-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nielsen, S.B., 1995. "Capital income and profits taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Discussion Paper 1995-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Harry Huizinga & Soeren Bo Nielsen, . "Capital Income and Profits Taxation with Foreign Ownerwhip of Firms," EPRU Working Paper Series 95-09, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Fjeldstad, Odd-Helge & Tungodden, Bertil, 2003.
"Fiscal Corruption: A Vice or a Virtue?,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 1459-1467, August.
- Mihai Mutascu, 2011.
"Taxation and democracy,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 343-348, December.
- Bohn, Frank, 2003.
"Public Finance under Political Instability and Debt Conditionality,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
25, Royal Economic Society.
- Frank Bohn, 2002. "Public Finance under Political Instability and Debt Conditionality," Economics Discussion Papers 540, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Mehmet Serkan Tosun & Sohrab Abizadeh, 2005. "Economic growth and tax components: an analysis of tax changes in OECD," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(19), pages 2251-2263.
- Petrova, Maria, 2008. "Inequality and media capture," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1-2), pages 183-212, February.
- Gaetano Lisi, 2011. "Job search theory and the slippery slope framework: an attempt to integration," Working Papers 2011-02, Universita' di Cassino, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche.
- Alessandro Olper & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2009.
"Mass Media and Public Policy:Global Evidence from Agricultural Policies,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
23209, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Alessandro Olper & Johan Swinnen, 2013. "Mass Media and Public Policy: Global Evidence from Agricultural Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 27(3), pages 413-436.
- Olper, Alessandro & Swinnen, Johan, 2013. "Mass media and public policy : global evidence from agricultural policies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6362, The World Bank.
- Olper, Alessandro & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Mass Media and Public Policy: Global Evidence from Agricultural Policies," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51694, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Katircioglu, Salih Turan, 2010. "Is There A Long-Run Relationship Between Taxation And Growth: The Case Of Turkey," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 99-106, March.
- Patrick A. Imam & Davina F. Jacobs, 2007. "Effect of Corruptionon Tax Revenues in the Middle East," IMF Working Papers 07/270, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00668. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.