Taxation under media capture
The paper investigates the implication of mass-media freedom on the level of taxation, using a panel-model approach. The data-set covers the period 2002-2010, including 120 states. The main obtained finding suggests a nonlinear cubic function, with U and inverted U-shapes. Except the minimal states, the study suggests the study suggests that a significant increase of taxes, without a major negative reaction of taxpayers, can be facile obtained if the mass-media is free or moderate controlled by govern and/or other interested groups. The policy response reaction has the same intensity in both cases.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mutascu, Mihai, 2011.
"Taxation and democracy,"
31592, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Petrova, Maria, 2008. "Inequality and media capture," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1-2), pages 183-212, February.
- Marco Battaglini & Stephen Coate, 2007.
"A Dynamic Theory of Public Spending, Taxation and Debt,"
1441, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Marco Battaglini & Stephen Coate, 2008. "A Dynamic Theory of Public Spending, Taxation, and Debt," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 201-36, March.
- Marco Battaglini & Steve Coate, 2006. "A Dynamic Theory of Public Spending, Taxation and Debt," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001094, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Battaglini, Marco & Coate, Stephen, 2007. "A Dynamic Theory of Public Spending, Taxation and Debt," Working Papers 07-04, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Marco Battaglini & Stephen Coate, 2006. "A Dynamic Theory of Public Spending, Taxation and Debt," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 321307000000000026, www.najecon.org.
- Stephen Coate & Marco Battaglini, 2007. "A Dynamic Theory of Public Spending, Taxation and Debt," 2007 Meeting Papers 573, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Marco Battaglini & Stephen Coate, 2006. "A Dynamic Theory of Public Spending, Taxation and Debt," NBER Working Papers 12100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imam Patrick Amir & Jacobs Davina, 2014.
"Effect of Corruption on Tax Revenues in the Middle East,"
Review of Middle East Economics and Finance,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 24, April.
- Patrick A. Imam & Davina F. Jacobs, 2007. "Effect of Corruption on Tax Revenues in the Middle East," IMF Working Papers 07/270, International Monetary Fund.
- Alessandro Olper & Johan Swinnen, 2013.
"Mass Media and Public Policy: Global Evidence from Agricultural Policies,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 27(3), pages 413-436.
- Olper, Alessandro & Swinnen, Johan, 2013. "Mass media and public policy : global evidence from agricultural policies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6362, The World Bank.
- Alessandro Olper & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2009. "Mass Media and Public Policy:Global Evidence from Agricultural Policies," LICOS Discussion Papers 23209, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Olper, Alessandro & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Mass Media and Public Policy: Global Evidence from Agricultural Policies," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51694, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Terence D Agbeyegbe & Janet Gale Stotsky & Asegedech WoldeMariam, 2004.
"Trade Liberalization, Exchange Rate Changes, and Tax Revenue in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
IMF Working Papers
04/178, International Monetary Fund.
- Agbeyegbe, Terence D. & Stotsky, Janet & WoldeMariam, Asegedech, 2006. "Trade liberalization, exchange rate changes, and tax revenue in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 261-284, April.
- Terence D.Agbeyegbe & Janet G. Stotsky & Asegedech WoldeMariam, 2004. "Trade Liberalization, Exchange Rate Changes, and Tax Revenue in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 403, Hunter College Department of Economics, revised 2004.
- Roshaiza Taha & Nanthakumar Loganathan, 2008. "Causality Between Tax Revenue And Government Spending In Malaysia," The International Journal of Business and Finance Research, The Institute for Business and Finance Research, vol. 2(2), pages 63-73.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nielsen, S.B., 1997.
"Capital income and profit taxation with foreign ownership of firms,"
Other publications TiSEM
b4f6a916-7f7f-4fe1-9cf0-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Soren Bo, 1997. "Capital income and profit taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 149-165, February.
- Harry Huizinga & Soeren Bo Nielsen, "undated". "Capital Income and Profits Taxation with Foreign Ownerwhip of Firms," EPRU Working Paper Series 95-09, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nielsen, S.B., 1995. "Capital income and profits taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Discussion Paper 1995-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Huizinga, H. & Nielsen, S.B., 1995. "Capital Income and Profits Taxation with Foreign Ownership of Firms," Papers 9582, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bohn, Frank, 2002.
"Public Finance under Political Instability and Debt Conditionality,"
Economics Discussion Papers
8843, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Bohn, Frank, 2003. "Public Finance under Political Instability and Debt Conditionality," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 25, Royal Economic Society.
- Marina Azzimonti, 2009.
"Barriers to investment in polarized societies,"
2009 Meeting Papers
1233, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gaetano Lisi, 2011. "Job search theory and the slippery slope framework: an attempt to integration," Working Papers 2011-02, Universita' di Cassino, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:99e05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Katircioglu, Salih Turan, 2010. "Is There A Long-Run Relationship Between Taxation And Growth: The Case Of Turkey," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 99-106, March.
- Mehmet Serkan Tosun & Sohrab Abizadeh, 2005. "Economic growth and tax components: an analysis of tax changes in OECD," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(19), pages 2251-2263.
- Odd-Helge Fjeldstad & Bertil Tungodden, 2001.
"Fiscal corruption: A vice or a virtue?,"
CMI Working Papers
WP 2001:13, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Volkerink, BjÃ¸rn & Haan, Jakob de, 1999. "Political and institutional determinants of the tax mix : an empirical investigation for OECD countries," Research Report 99E05, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00668. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.