Tax Systems in the World: An Empirical Investigation into the Importance of Tax Bases, Administration Costs, Scale and Political Regime
We study the structure of taxation in a sample of 100 democratic and nondemocratic regimes over three time periods. The results provide strong support for several regularities in the world as a whole, specifically (1) scale effect: utilization of each tax source increases as the government expands, (2) base effect: tax systems rely more heavily on relatively larger tax bases, and (3) administrative cost effect: lower costs of administration lead to increased reliance on the corresponding revenue source. We also investigate the role of political regime and find that democracies rely substantially more on other income taxation, possibly because this tax source requires a higher degree of voluntary compliance. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2006
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hettich, W. & Winer, S.L., 1993.
"The Political Economy of Taxation,"
8, Carleton - Business Administration.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Robinson, James A, 1999.
"A Theory of Political Transitions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2277, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenny, Lawrence W, 1991. "Cross-Country Estimates of the Demand for Money and Its Components," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(4), pages 696-705, October.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Ricard Gil & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2004.
"Do Democracies Have Different Public Policies than Nondemocracies?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 51-74, Winter.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier Sala-i-Martin & Ricard Gil, 2003. "Do Democracies Have Different Public Policies than Nondemocracies?," NBER Working Papers 10040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dennis C. Mueller & Thomas Stratmann, 2002.
"The Economic Effects of Democratic Participation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
656, CESifo Group Munich.
- James M. Poterba & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1988.
"Inflation And Taxation With Optimizing Governments,"
NBER Working Papers
2567, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poterba, James M & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1990. "Inflation and Taxation with Optimizing Governments," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Poterba, J.M. & Rotemberg, J.J., 1989. "Inflation And Taxation With Optimizing Governments," Working papers 521, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Lars P. Feld & Bruno S. Frey, 2000.
"Trust Breeds Trust: How Taxpayers are Treated,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
322, CESifo Group Munich.
- Slemrod, Joel, 2004. "Are corporate tax rates, or countries, converging?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1169-1186, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521021807 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong-Wha, 1994. "Sources of economic growth," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-46, June.
- Pommerehne, Werner W & Weck-Hannemann, Hannelore, 1996. " Tax Rates, Tax Administration and Income Tax Evasion in Switzerland," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 88(1-2), pages 161-70, July.
- Dudley, L. & Montmarquette, C., 1986.
"Bureaucratic Corruption As a Constraint on Voter Choice,"
Cahiers de recherche
8635, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Leonard Dudley & Claude Montmarquette, 1987. "Bureaucratic corruption as a constraint on voter choice," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 127-160, September.
- Winer, Stanley L. & Hettich, Walter, 1991. "Debt and tariffs : An empirical investigation of the evolution of revenue systems," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 215-242, July.
- Muhammed N. Islam & Stanley L. Winer, 2004. "Tinpots, Totalitarians (and Democrats): An Empirical Investigation of the Effects of Economic Growth on Civil Liberties and Political Rights," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 118(3_4), pages 289-323, 03.
- Hettich, Walter & Winer, Stanley L, 1988. "Economic and Political Foundations of Tax Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 701-12, September.
- Gary S. Becker & Casey B. Mulligan, 1998.
"Deadweight Costs and the Size of Government,"
NBER Working Papers
6789, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker & Casey B. Mulligan, 1998. "Deadweight Costs and the Size of Government," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 144, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Martin C. McGuire & Mancur Olson Jr., 1996. "The Economics of Autocracy and Majority Rule: The Invisible Hand and the Use of Force," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 72-96, March.
- Kenny, Lawrence W & Toma, Mark, 1997. " The Role of Tax Bases and Collections Costs in the Determination of Income Tax Rates, Seigniorage and Inflation," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 92(1-2), pages 75-90, July.
- Habibi, Nader, 1994. "Budgetary policy and political liberty: A cross-sectional analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 579-586, April.
- Fauvelle-Aymar, Christine, 1999. "The Political and Tax Capacity of Government in Developing Countries," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 391-413.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Tabellini, Guido, 1991.
"Explaining fiscal policies and inflation in developing countries,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(1, Supple), pages S16-S48, March.
- Sebastian Edwards & Guido Tabellini, 1990. "Explaining Fiscal Policies and Inflation in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 3493, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766, March.
- Hettich, Walter & Winer, Stanley, 1984. "A positive model of tax structure," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 67-87, June.
- James Kau & Paul Rubin, 1981. "The size of government," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 261-274, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521622912 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mulligan Casey B & Sala-i-Martin Xavier, 2004. "Internationally Common Features of Public Old-Age Pensions, and Their Implications for Models of the Public Sector," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-37, May.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521583299 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521794497 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:itaxpf:v:13:y:2006:i:2:p:181-215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.