Taxation, Economic Growth and Political Stability
The study analyzed the effect of Political Stability (PS) and Economic Growth (GDP) on Tax and used Freedom of Corruption (FC) and Government Effectiveness (GE) as control variables. Study used unbalanced (includes 98 countries) as well as balanced (includes 57 countries) data for the period 2002–2008. Study found that all variables are non-normal. Further, it is found that PS affects tax in lower quantiles and somewhat higher quantiles but not in highest and intermediate quantiles. GE affects taxes in all quantiles but not in the highest level and value of the coefficient is also found to decreasing with the higher quantiles. Effect of GDP on tax is negative in all quantiles. Importantly, FC is found to be having negative effect at lower level of quantiles and positive at higher level of quantiles with increasing the coefficient value as quantiles increases. Copyright CEEUN 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/european+integration/journal/11300|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak, 2008.
"The collection efficiency of the Value Added Tax: Theory and international evidence,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 391-410.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak, 2005. "The Collection Efficiency of the Value Added Tax: Theory and International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 11539, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Jinjarak, Yothin, 2005. "The collection efficiency of the value added tax: theory and international evidence," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt42d103zh, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:99e05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marina Azzimonti, 2011. "Barriers to Investment in Polarized Societies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 2182-2204, August.
- marina, azzimonti, 2009. "Barriers to investment in polarized societies," MPRA Paper 25936, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marina Azzimonti, 2009. "Barriers to investment in polarized societies," 2009 Meeting Papers 1233, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Volkerink, BjÃ¸rn & Haan, Jakob de, 1999. "Political and institutional determinants of the tax mix : an empirical investigation for OECD countries," Research Report 99E05, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "Recent Advances in Quantile Regression Models: A Practical Guideline for Empirical Research," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 88-126.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005. "Quantile Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731, November.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001. "Quantile Regression," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005. "Quantile Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, Diciembre.
- Alex Coad & Rekha Rao, 2006. "Innovation and market value: a quantile regression analysis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(13), pages 1-10.
- Bohn, Frank, 2002. "Public Finance under Political Instability and Debt Conditionality," Economics Discussion Papers 8843, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Bohn, Frank, 2003. "Public Finance under Political Instability and Debt Conditionality," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 25, Royal Economic Society.
- Cukierman, Alex & Edwards, Sebastian & Tabellini, Guido, 1992. "Seigniorage and Political Instability," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 537-555, June.