A structural VARX modelling of international parities between China and Japan in the liberalization era
This study systemically investigates the international parity conditions for China and Japan in the liberalization era (1990:Q1-2010:Q2). Advanced econometric procedures including the structural VARX and persistent profiles are utilized in the empirical analysis. The finding upholds support for both purchasing power (PPP) and uncovered interest parity (UIP) conditions, when structural breaks due to the Asian and subprime crises were taken into accounts. By comparing the persistent profiles, we find shocks to real sector are more likely to lead to the establishment of parity at faster rate than capital market. This seems to suggest sequencing problem in market integration is not an issue.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Raj Aggarwal & Chan Tze Haw, 2007.
"East Asian Real Exchange Rates and PPP: New Evidence from Panel-data Tests,"
Global Economic Review,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 103-119.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Aggarwal, Raj & Chan, Tze-Haw, 2005. "East Asian Real Exchange Rates and PPP: New Evidence from panel-data tests," MPRA Paper 2023, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
- Pomfret, Richard, 2005.
"Sequencing trade and monetary integration: issues and application to Asia,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 105-124, February.
- Richard Pomfret, 2004. "Sequencing Trade and Monetary Integration: Issues and Applications to Asia," School of Economics Working Papers 2004-14, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1996.
"Cointegration and speed of convergence to equilibrium,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 117-143.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1993. "Cointegration and Speed of Convergence to Equilibrium," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9311, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol & Smith, Richard J., 2000.
"Structural analysis of vector error correction models with exogenous I(1) variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 293-343, August.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1997. "Structural Analysis of Vector Error Correction Models with Exogenous I(1) Variables," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9706, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2005. "Real Equilibrium Exchange Rate in China," Working Papers 2005-01, CEPII research center.
- Juselius, Katarina, 1995. "Do purchasing power parity and uncovered interest rate parity hold in the long run? An example of likelihood inference in a multivariate time-series model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 211-240, September.
- C. Emre Alper & Oya Pinar Ardic, 2010. "covered interest parity," The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, Palgrave Macmillan.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00438. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.