Risk transmission between Latin America stock markets and the US: impacts of the 2007/2008 Crisis
The aim of this paper is to investigate whether the US subprime financial turmoil has had any statistically significant effect on the conditional volatility of stock prices in Latin America for which the BEKK methodology is adopted, developed by Engle and Kroner (1995). The t-student distribution is employed as it can provide a best fit for financial data. In order to do this study, we will investigate four Latin America emerging capital markets (Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Mexico) and the United States, considering the period of the recent financial crisis of 2007/2008, analyzing before, during and after the crisis period. Our results show that before the crisis there is no evidence of volatility spillovers from the North American stock market to Latin American ones. During the crisis, there is evidence of volatility spillover effects on some countries. Brazil and Chile affect the US volatility and Argentina, Chile and Mexico are affected by the US's. After the crisis, the volatility of all Latin American stock markets affect and are affected by the US market. These results show an increase in spillover effects from a shock to US stock market to Latin American countries after the 2007/2008 financial crisis.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Nguyen Duc & Bellalah Mondher, 2008.
"The Comovements in International Stock Markets: New Evidence from Latin American Emerging Countries,"
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Mondher Bellalah & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2010. "The comovements in international stock markets: new evidence from Latin American emerging countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(13), pages 1323-1328.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Mondher Bellalah & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2008. "The Comovements In International Stock Markets: New Evidence From Latin American Emerging Countries," Working Papers halshs-00202943, HAL.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & M. Bellalah & D. Nguyen, 2008. "The Comovements in International Stock Markets: New Evidence from Latin American Emerging Countries," Post-Print halshs-00207719, HAL.
- Mohamed AROURI & Makram BELLALAH & D.-K. NGUYEN, 2008. "The Commovements in International Stock Markets : New Evidence from Lating American Emerging Countries," LEO Working Papers / DR LEO 1562, Orleans Economics Laboratory / Laboratoire d'Economie d'Orleans (LEO), University of Orleans.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Mondher Bellalah & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2007. "The Comovements in International Stock Markets: New Evidence from Latin American Emerging Countries," Working Papers 05, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & M. Bellalah & D. Nguyen, 2007. "The Comovements in International Stock Markets: New Evidence from Latin American Emerging Countries," Post-Print halshs-00207779, HAL.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Bodnar, Gordon M., 2009. "No place to hide: The global crisis in equity markets in 2008/2009," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1246-1292, December.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2009.
"Global and Regional Spillovers in Emerging Stock Markets: A Multivariate GARCH-in-mean Analysis,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2794, CESifo Group Munich.
- Beirne, John & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Schulze-Ghattas, Marianne & Spagnolo, Nicola, 2010. "Global and regional spillovers in emerging stock markets: A multivariate GARCH-in-mean analysis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 250-260, September.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2009. "Global and Regional Spillovers in Emerging Stock Markets: A Multivariate GARCH-in-Mean Analysis," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 942, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gilles Dufrénot & Valérie Mignon & Anne Péguin-Feissolle, 2010.
"The Effects of the Subprime Crisis on the Latin American Financial Markets: an Empirical Assessment,"
2010-11, CEPII research center.
- Dufrénot, Gilles & Mignon, Valérie & Péguin-Feissolle, Anne, 2011. "The effects of the subprime crisis on the Latin American financial markets: An empirical assessment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 2342-2357, September.
- Gilles Dufrénot & Valérie Mignon & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2011. "The Effects of the Subprime Crisis on the Latin American Financial Markets: An Empirical Assessment," Working Papers halshs-00587460, HAL.
- Benjamin Miranda Tabak & Eduardo José Araújo Lima, 2002. "Causality and Cointegration in Stock Markets: The Case of Latin America," Working Papers Series 56, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Didier, Tatiana & Love, Inessa & Peria, Maria Soledad Martinez, 2010. "What explains stock markets'vulnerability to the 2007-2008 crisis ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5224, The World Bank.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.