The Effects of the Subprime Crisis on the Latin American Financial Markets: an Empirical Assessment
The aim of this article is to answer the following question: can the considerable rise in the volatility of the LAC stock markets in the aftermath of the 2007/2008 crisis be explained by the worsening financial environment in the US markets? To this end, we rely on a timevarying transition probability Markov-switching model, in which “crisis” and “non-crisis” periods are identified endogenously. Using daily data from January 2004 to April 2009, our findings do not validate the “financial decoupling” hypothesis since we show that the financial stress in the US markets is transmitted to the LAC’s stock market volatility, especially in Mexico.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 113, rue de Grenelle, 75700 Paris SP07|
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernanda G Barba & Paulo S Ceretta, 2011. "Risk transmission between Latin America stock markets and the US: impacts of the 2007/2008 Crisis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(2), pages 1025-1037.
- Heiko Hesse & Nathaniel Frank & Brenda Gonzalez-Hermosillo, 2008. "Transmission of Liquidity Shocks; Evidence from the 2007 Subprime Crisis," IMF Working Papers 08/200, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrew Powell & Juan F. Martinez S., 2008.
"On Emerging Economy Sovereign Spreads and Ratings,"
Research Department Publications
4565, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Brenda Gonzalez-Hermosillo & Heiko Hesse, 2009.
"Global Market Conditions and Systemic Risk,"
IMF Working Papers
09/230, International Monetary Fund.
- Dooley, Michael & Hutchison, Michael, 2009.
"Transmission of the U.S. subprime crisis to emerging markets: Evidence on the decoupling-recoupling hypothesis,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1331-1349, December.
- Michael P. Dooley & Michael M. Hutchison, 2009. "Transmission of the U.S. Subprime Crisis to Emerging Markets: Evidence on the Decoupling-Recoupling Hypothesis," NBER Working Papers 15120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. G Gelos & Robert Rennhack & James P Walsh & Pelin Berkmen, 2009.
"The Global Financial Crisis - Explaining Cross-Country Differences in the Output Impact,"
IMF Working Papers
09/280, International Monetary Fund.
- Berkmen, S. Pelin & Gelos, Gaston & Rennhack, Robert & Walsh, James P., 2012. "The global financial crisis: Explaining cross-country differences in the output impact," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 42-59.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2009.
"Cross-Country Causes and Consequences of the 2008 Crisis: International Linkages and American Exposure,"
NBER Working Papers
15358, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- AndrewK. Rose & MarkM. Spiegel, 2010. "Cross-Country Causes And Consequences Of The 2008 Crisis: International Linkages And American Exposure," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 340-363, 08.
- Rose, Andrew K & Spiegel, Mark, 2009. "Cross-Country Causes and Consequences of the 2008 Crisis: International Linkages and American Exposure," CEPR Discussion Papers 7466, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2009. "Cross-country causes and consequences of the 2008 crisis: international linkages and American exposure," Working Paper Series 2009-18, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Andrew J. Filardo & Stephen F. Gordon, 1993.
"Business cycle durations,"
Research Working Paper
93-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor Ng & Michael Rothschild, 1988.
"Asset Pricing with a Factor Arch Covariance Structure: Empirical Estimates for Treasury Bills,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Ng, Victor K. & Rothschild, Michael, 1990. "Asset pricing with a factor-arch covariance structure : Empirical estimates for treasury bills," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 213-237.
- Filardo, Andrew J, 1994.
"Business-Cycle Phases and Their Transitional Dynamics,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 299-308, July.
- Andrew J. Filardo, 1993. "Business cycle phases and their transitional dynamics," Research Working Paper 93-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Filardo JBES 1994 paper with time-varying Markov switching," Statistical Software Components RTZ00059, Boston College Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Martin Lettau & Burton G. Malkiel & Yexiao Xu, 2000.
"Have Individual Stocks Become More Volatile? An Empirical Exploration of Idiosyncratic Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
7590, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell, 2001. "Have Individual Stocks Become More Volatile? An Empirical Exploration of Idiosyncratic Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 1-43, 02.
- Malkiel, Burton & Campbell, John & Lettau, Martin & Xu, Yexiao, 2001. "Have Individual Stocks Become More Volatile? An Empirical Exploration of Idiosyncratic Risk," Scholarly Articles 3128707, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Fritz Breuss, 2011. "Global financial crisis as a phenomenon of stock market overshooting," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 38(1), pages 131-152, February.
- Kim, Chang-Jin & Piger, Jeremy & Startz, Richard, 2008.
"Estimation of Markov regime-switching regression models with endogenous switching,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 143(2), pages 263-273, April.
- Chang-Jin Kim & Jeremy M. Piger & Richard Startz, 2004. "Estimation of Markov regime-switching regression models with endogenous switching," Working Papers 2003-015, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- René Garcia, 1995.
"Asymptotic Null Distribution of the Likelihood Ratio Test in Markov Switching Models,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Garcia, Rene, 1998. "Asymptotic Null Distribution of the Likelihood Ratio Test in Markov Switching Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(3), pages 763-788, August.
- Soosung Hwang & Steve Satchell, 2005.
"GARCH model with cross-sectional volatility: GARCHX models,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 203-216.
- Steve Satchell & Soosung Hwang, 2001. "GARCH Model with Cross-sectional Volatility; GARCHX Models," Working Papers wp01-16, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Adam Clements & Jerome Collet, 2008. "Do common volatility models capture cyclical behaviour in volatility?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(7), pages 599-604.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-384, March.
- MArdi Dungey & Renee Fry & Brenda Gonzales-Hermosillo & Vance L. Martin & Chrismin Tang, 2008.
"Are Financial Crises Alike?,"
CAMA Working Papers
2008-15, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Goldfeld, Stephen M. & Quandt, Richard E., 1973. "A Markov model for switching regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-15, March.
- Connor, Gregory & Korajczyk, Robert A. & Linton, Oliver, 2006. "The common and specific components of dynamic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 231-255, May.
- Erik Berglof & Yevgeniya Korniyenko & Alexander Plekhanov & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2010. "Understanding the Crisis in Emerging Europe," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 6(6), pages 985-1008, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepidt:2010-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.