Efficiency, Environmental Contaminants and Farm Size: Testing for Links Using Stochastic Production Frontiers
This paper investigates whether there is any relationship between farm size, technical efficiency and the use of agrochemicals which are potentially environmentally contaminating. These questions are pertinent in the context of current EU policy decisions. Using two models of stochastic frontier production and a set of panel data on 35 farms from the South West of England for the years 1987-1991, we obtain an indication, that there is a positive relationship between technical efficiency and use of contaminants, and between technical efficiency and farm size. However, there is a weak negative relationship between farm size and use of contaminants.
Volume (Year): 2 (1999)
Issue (Month): (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal|
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/jae.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaddour Hadri, 1997. "A frontier approach to disequilibrium models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(11), pages 699-701.
- Hadri, K. & Guermat, C. & Whittaker, J., 1998. "Doubly Heteroscedastic Stochastic Production Frontiers with an English Cere al Farms," Discussion Papers 9908, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Byrnes, Patricia, et al, 1987. "Technical Efficiency and Size: The Case of Illinois Grain Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 14(4), pages 367-381.
- Guermat, C. & Hadri, K., 1999. "Backpropagation Neural Network versus Translog Model in Stochastic Frontiers: a Note Carlo Compatrison," Discussion Papers 9916, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C, 1993. "Short-Run Returns to Scale, Farm-Size, and Economic Efficiency," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 336-341, May.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Bagi, Faqir Singh, 1982. "Relationship Between Farm Size and Technical Efficiency in West Tennessee Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 139-144, December.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- repec:exe:wpaper:99/14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Faqir Singh Bagi & Cliff J. Huang, 1983. "Estimating Production Technical Efficiency for Individual Farms in Tennessee," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 31(2), pages 249-256, 07.
- Schmidt, Peter & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1979. "Estimating technical and allocative inefficiency relative to stochastic production and cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-366, February.
- Guermat, C. & Hadri, K., 1999. "Heteroscedasticity in Stochastic Frontier Models: a Monte Carlo Analysis," Discussion Papers 9914, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- B. E. Bravo-Ureta & L. Rieger, 1990. "Alternative Production Frontier Methodologies And Dairy Farm Efficiency," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 215-226.
- Trosper, Ronald L, 1978. "American Indian Relative Ranching Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(4), pages 503-516, September.
- Bagi, Faqir Singh, 1982. "Relationship Between Farm Size And Technical Efficiency In West Tennessee Agriculture," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(02), December.
- Dawson, P J, 1987. "Farm-Specific Technical Efficiency in the England and Wales Dairy Sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 14(4), pages 383-394.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:jaecon:v:2:y:1999:n:2:p:337-356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.