Asymmetric News Effects on Exchange Rate Volatility: Good vs. Bad News in Good vs. Bad Times
We study the impact of positive and negative macroeconomic U.S. and European news announcements in different phases of the business cycle on the high-frequency volatility of the EUR/USD exchange rate. The results suggest that news effects depend on the state of the economy. In general, news increases volatility more in good times than in bad times. News effects are also asymmetric with respect to sign: negative news increases volatility more in good times than in bad times, while there is no difference between the volatility effects of good news in bad and good times.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faust, Jon & Rogers, John H. & Wang, Shing-Yi B. & Wright, Jonathan H., 2007.
"The high-frequency response of exchange rates and interest rates to macroeconomic announcements,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 1051-1068, May.
- Jon Faust & John H. Rogers & Shing-Yi Wang & Jonathan H. Wright, 2003. "The high-frequency response of exchange rates and interest rates to macroeconomic announcements," International Finance Discussion Papers 784, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mark J. Flannery & Aris A. Protopapadakis, 2002. "Macroeconomic Factors Do Influence Aggregate Stock Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 751-782.
- Kathryn Dominguez & Freyan Panthaki, 2005.
"What Defines "News" in Foreign Exchange Markets?,"
NBER Working Papers
11769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Veronesi, Pietro, 1999. "Stock Market Overreaction to Bad News in Good Times: A Rational Expectations Equilibrium Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(5), pages 975-1007.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2003.
"Real-Time Price Discovery in Stock, Bond and Foreign Exchange Markets,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
04-028, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 28 Jun 2004.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Vega, Clara, 2004. "Real-time price discovery in stock, bond and foreign exchange markets," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/19, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2005. "Real-Time Price Discovery in Stock, Bond and Foreign Exchange Markets," NBER Working Papers 11312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev, 1998. "Deutsche Mark-Dollar Volatility: Intraday Activity Patterns, Macroeconomic Announcements, and Longer Run Dependencies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 219-265, 02.
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2006. "Why is it so difficult to uncover the risk-return tradeoff in stock returns?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 118-125, July.
- DeGennaro, Ramon P. & Shrieves, Ronald E., 1997. "Public information releases, private information arrival and volatility in the foreign exchange market," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 295-315, December.
- Helinä Laakkonen, 2007.
"The Impact of Macroeconomic News on Exchange Rate Volatility,"
Finnish Economic Papers,
Finnish Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 23-40, Spring.
- Laakkonen , Helinä, 2004. "The impact of macroeconomic news on exchange rate volatility," Research Discussion Papers 24/2004, .
- John H. Boyd & Jian Hu & Ravi Jagannathan, 2005.
"The Stock Market's Reaction to Unemployment News: Why Bad News Is Usually Good for Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 649-672, 04.
- John H. Boyd & Ravi Jagannathan & Jian Hu, 2001. "The Stock Market's Reaction to Unemployment News: Why Bad News is Usually Good for Stocks," NBER Working Papers 8092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996.
"Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995. "Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Bauwens, Luc & Ben Omrane, Walid & Giot, Pierre, 2005.
"News announcements, market activity and volatility in the euro/dollar foreign exchange market,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1108-1125, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & BEN OMRANE, Walid & GIOT, Pierre, 2003. "News announcements, market activity and volatility in the Euro/Dollar foreign exchange market," CORE Discussion Papers 2003029, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & BEN OMRANE, Walid & GIOT, Pierre, . "News announcements, market activity and volatility in the euro/dollar foreign exchange market," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1787, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pearce, Douglas K. & Solakoglu, M. Nihat, 2007. "Macroeconomic news and exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 307-325, October.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. "Persistence in Variance, Structural Change, and the GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 225-34, April.
- Jennifer Conrad & Bradford Cornell & Wayne R. Landsman, 2002. "When Is Bad News Really Bad News?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2507-2532, December.
- Melvin, Michael & Yin, Xixi, 2000.
"Public Information Arrival, Exchange Rate Volatility, and Quote Frequency,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 644-61, July.
- Michael Melvin & Xixi Yin, . "Public Information Arrival, Exchange Rate Volatility, and Quote Frequency," Working Papers 96/1, Arizona State University, Department of Economics.
- Alvaro Almeida & Richard Payne & Charles Goodhart, 1997.
"The Effects of Macroeconomic News on High Frequency Exchange Rate Behaviour,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp258, Financial Markets Group.
- Almeida, Alvaro & Goodhart, Charles & Payne, Richard, 1998. "The Effects of Macroeconomic News on High Frequency Exchange Rate Behavior," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 383-408, September.
- David Veredas, 2006. "Macroeconomic surprises and short-term behaviour in bond futures," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 843-866, January.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Chan, Yue-cheong & Chui, Andy C. W. & Kwok, Chuck C. Y., 2001. "The impact of salient political and economic news on the trading activity," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 195-217, June.
- Chang, Yuanchen & Taylor, Stephen J., 2003. "Information arrivals and intraday exchange rate volatility," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 85-112, April.
- Laakkonen, Helinä, 2007. "Exchange rate volatility, macro announcements and the choice of intraday seasonality filtering method," Research Discussion Papers 23/2007, .
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-87, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:sndecm:v:14:y:2009:i:1:n:5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.