Monetary Regimes In Post-Communist Countries Some Long-Term Reflections
This article offers an attempt at typologisation of the evolution of monetary regimes in post-communist countries (1990-2008), which is exceptionally varied by character. Two large groups have emerged: type 1 – countries, which started their reforms with a regime of fixed exchange rate and do-minating external sources of money supply, and type 2 – countries starting their reforms with a floating exchange rate and predominating internal sources of money supply. The first type is much more successful and appropriate for managing the problems of transition. Some other elements of ty-pologisation have also been suggested based on specific definitions of monetary system and monetary regime. The article also presents various approaches, which can explain the evolution of monetary re-gimes observed in the former socialist countries.
Volume (Year): 57 (2010)
Issue (Month): (november)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitatea Al. I. Cuza; B-dul Carol I nr. 22; Iasi|
Phone: 004 0232 201070
Fax: 004 0232 217000
Web page: http://anale.feaa.uaic.ro/anale/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beck, Thorsten & Laeven, Luc, 2005.
"Institution building and growth in transition economies,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3657, The World Bank.
- Thorsten Beck & Luc Laeven, 2006. "Institution building and growth in transition economies," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 157-186, June.
- Beck, Thorsten & Laeven, Luc, 2006. "Institution Building and Growth in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 5718, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Laeven, L., 2006. "Institution building and growth in transition economies," Other publications TiSEM b872919e-8dac-46d6-9c0a-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Damjan Kozamernik, 2004. "The ERM II issues: An interpretation of the Slovenian approach," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 32(4), pages 268-279, December.
- Nikolay Nenovsky, 2007.
"Monetary Convergence on the Road to EMU: Conceptual Issues for Eastern Europe,"
- Nikolay Nenovsky, 2006. "Monetary Convergence on the Road to EMU: Conceptual Issues for Eastern Europe," Post-Print halshs-00259695, HAL.
- Nikolay Nenovsky, 2006. "Monetary Convergence on the Road to EMU: Conceptual Issues for Eastern Europe," ICER Working Papers 35-2006, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Arratibel, Olga & Furceri, Davide & Martin, Reiner, 2008. "Real convergence in Central and Eastern European EU Member States: which role for exchange rate volatility?," Working Paper Series 0929, European Central Bank.
- Kocenda, Evzen, 1999.
"Limited Macroeconomic Convergence in Transition Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nikolay Nenovsky, 2003.
"Peut-on mesurer le changement institutionnel du régime monétaire ?,"
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Yorgos Rizopoulos, 2004. "Peut-on mesurer le changement institutionnel du régime monétaire ?," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 75(2), pages 17-36.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Y. Rizopoulos, 2004. "Peut-on mesurer le changement institutionnel du régime monétaire?," Post-Print halshs-00259756, HAL.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Y. Rizopoulos, 2003. "Peut-on mesurer le changement institutionnel du régime monétaire?," Post-Print halshs-00259754, HAL.
- Frommel, Michael & Schobert, Franziska, 2006. "Exchange rate regimes in Central and East European countries: Deeds vs. words," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 467-483, September.
- George Tavlas & Harris Dellas & Alan Stockman, 2008.
"The Classification and Perfomance of Alternative Exchange-Rate Systems,"
90, Bank of Greece.
- Tavlas, George & Dellas, Harris & Stockman, Alan C., 2008. "The classification and performance of alternative exchange-rate systems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 941-963, August.
- Helmut Stix, 2008. "Euroization: What Factors drive its Persistence?," Working Papers 140, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Peter Backé & Christian Thimann & Olga Arratibel & Oscar Calvo-Gonzalez & Arnaud Mehl & Carolin Nerlich, 2004. "The acceding countries’ strategies towards ERM II and the adoption of the euro - an analytical review," Occasional Paper Series 10, European Central Bank.
- János Kornai, 2006.
"Velká transformace střední a východní Evropy: úspěch a zklamání
[The great transformation of central and eastern Europe: success and disappointment]," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2006(4), pages 435-466.
- Michael Berlemann & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2004. "Lending of First versus Lending of Last Resort: The Bulgarian Financial Crisis of 1996/19971," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 46(2), pages 245-271, June.
- Dobrinsky, Rumen, 2000. "The Transition Crisis in Bulgaria," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(5), pages 581-602, September.
- Polterovich, Victor, 2007. "Institutional Trap," MPRA Paper 20595, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Hans Genberg & Alexander K. Swoboda, 2005.
"Exchange Rate Regimes: Does What Countries Say Matter?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(si), pages 8.
- Hans Genberg & Alexander K. Swoboda, 2004. "Exchange-Rate Regimes: "Does What Countries Say Matter?"," IHEID Working Papers 07-2004, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Schuler, Kurt, 1999. "The Problem with Pegged Exchange Rates," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 83-102.
- Edgar L. Feige & Ivica Urban, 2008.
"Measuring Underground (Unobserved, Non-Observed, Unrecorded) Economies in Transition Countries: Can We Trust GDP?,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp913, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Feige, Edgar L. & Urban, Ivica, 2008. "Measuring underground (unobserved, non-observed, unrecorded) economies in transition countries: Can we trust GDP?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 287-306, June.
- Feige, Edgar L. & Urban, Ivica, 2007. "Measuring Underground (Unobserved, Non-Observed, Unrecorded) Economies in Transition Countries: Can We Trust GDP?," MPRA Paper 7345, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nikolaynenovsky Kalinhristov & Mihail Mihaylov, 2002. "Comparing the Institutional and Organizational Design of Currency Boards in Transition Countries," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 6-35, January.
- Nikolaynenovsky Kalinhristov & Mihail Mihaylov, 2002. "Comparing the Institutional and Organizational Design of Currency Boards in Transition Countries," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(1), pages 6-35, January.
- Petrovic, Pavle & Mladenovic, Zorica, 2000. "Money Demand and Exchange Rate Determination under Hyperinflation: Conceptual Issues and Evidence from Yugoslavia," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 785-806, November.
- Steve Hanke, 2002. "On dollarization and currency boards: Error and deception," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(4), pages 203-222.
- Pelinescu, Elena & Caraiani, Petre, 2006. "Does the Inflation Targeting Have a Positive Role upon the Convergence of the Inflation Rate?," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 3(3), pages 39-50, September.
- Hochreiter, Eduard & Tavlas, George S., 2004. "On the road again: an essay on the optimal path to EMU for the new member states," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 793-816, October.
- K. Hristov & M. Mihaylov & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2002. "Comparing institutional and organizational design of Currency Boards in transition countries," Post-Print halshs-00259880, HAL.
- Jeffry Frieden & David Leblang & Neven Valev, 2010. "The political economy of exchange rate regimes in transition economies," The Review of International Organizations, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Leszek Balcerowicz, 2006. "Enlargement, the Lisbon Agenda, and the Economic Development of Member States," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 34(3), pages 261-273, September.
- Bernard Chavance, 2008. "Formal and Informal Institutional Change : the Experience of Postsocialist Transformation," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 5(1), pages 57-71, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aic:journl:y:2010:v:57:p:217-234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sireteanu Napoleon-Alexandru)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.