Measuring the Institutional Change of the Monetary Regime in a Political Economy Perspective (Groups of interest and monetary variables during the Currency Board introduction in Bulgaria)
The paper explores the possibilities to measure the institutional change in the monetary field. A political economy theoretical framework is built up, where the change of the monetary regime is analyzed as the outcome of the debtors - creditors interactions. In this perspective, the value of some traditional monetary variables during the period before and after the introduction of the Currency Board in Bulgaria, in 1997, reveals the main actors' evolving relative positions.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109|
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- North, Douglass C, 1994.
"Economic Performance through Time,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 359-368, June.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Y. Rizopoulos, 2003. "Extreme Monetary Regime Change. Evidence from Currency Board Introduction in Bulgaria," Post-Print halshs-00259844, HAL.
- Nikolaynenovsky Kalinhristov & Mihail Mihaylov, 2002. "Comparing the Institutional and Organizational Design of Currency Boards in Transition Countries," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(1), pages 6-35, January.
- Andrei Shleifer & Daniel Treisman, 2001. "Without a Map: Political Tactics and Economic Reform in Russia," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262692694.
- Peter Bernholz, 2001. "Monetary Constitution, Political-Economic Regime, and Long-Term Inflation," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 3-12, March.
- Brian J. Loasby, 2000. "Market institutions and economic evolution," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 297-309.
- K. Hristov & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2002. "New Currency Boards and Discretion. The empirical Evidence from Bulgaria," Post-Print halshs-00259875, HAL.
- Marie-Thérèse Camilleri Gilson, 2002. "Policy Pre-Commitment and Institutional Design: A Synthetic Indicator Applied to Currency Boards," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 330, OECD Publishing.
- Mancur Olson, Jr., 1995. "Why the Transition from Communism Is So Difficult," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 437-461, Fall.
- Erik Berglof & Patrick Bolton, 2001.
"The Great Divide and Beyond: Financial Architecture in Transition,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
414, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Erik Berglof & Patrick Bolton, 2002. "The Great Divide and Beyond: Financial Architecture in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Berglöf, Erik & Bolton, Patrick, 2003. "The Great Divide and Beyond - Financial Architecture in Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 3476, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schotter, Andrew & Schwodiauer, Gerhard, 1980. "Economics and the Theory of Games: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 18(2), pages 479-527, June.
- K. Hristov & M. Mihaylov & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2002. "Comparing institutional and organizational design of Currency Boards in transition countries," Post-Print halshs-00259880, HAL.
- Commons, John R., 1931. "Institutional Economics," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 21, pages 648-657.
- Kornai, Janos, 2000.
"What the Change of System from Socialism to Capitalism Does and Does Not Mean,"
3634160, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Jànos Kornai, 2000. "What the Change of System from Socialism to Capitalism Does and Does Not Mean," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(1), pages 27-42, Winter.
- Nenovsky, Nikolay & Hristov, Kalin, 2002. "The new currency boards and discretion: empirical evidence from Bulgaria," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 55-72, April.
- Dorrucci, Ettore & Firpo, Stefano & Mongelli, Francesco Paolo & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2002. "European integration: what lessons for other regions? The case of Latin America," Working Paper Series 0185, European Central Bank.
- Raiser, M. & Di Tommaso, M.L. & Weeks, M., 2000. "The Measurement and Determination of Institutional Change: Evidence from Transition Economics," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0029, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Gérard Roland, 2002. "The Political Economy of Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 29-50, Winter.
- Lee J. Alston & Andres Gallo, 2000. "Evolution and Revolution in the Argentine Banking System under Convertibility: The Roles of Crises and Path Dependence," NBER Working Papers 8008, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geoffrey M. Hodgson, 1998. "The Approach of Institutional Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 166-192, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2004-732. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.