Measuring Underground (Unobserved, Non-Observed, Unrecorded) Economies in Transition Countries: Can We Trust GDP?
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Feige, Edgar L. & Urban, Ivica, 2008. "Measuring underground (unobserved, non-observed, unrecorded) economies in transition countries: Can we trust GDP?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 287-306, June.
- Edgar L. Feige & Ivica Urban, 2008. "Measuring Underground (Unobserved, Non-Observed, Unrecorded) Economies in Transition Countries: Can We Trust GDP?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp913, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
References listed on IDEAS
- World Bank, 2002. "Transition, The First Ten Years : Analysis and Lessons for Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14042.
- Simon Johnson & Daniel Kaufman & Andrei Shleifer, 1997. "The Unofficial Economy in Transition," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(2), pages 159-240.
- Edgar L. Feige, 1986.
"A Re-Examination of the "Underground Economy" in the United States: A Comment on Tanzi,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(4), pages 768-781, December.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2005. "A Re-Examination of the 'Underground Economy' in the United States; A Comment on Tanzi," Macroeconomics 0501021, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Edgar L. Feige & Ivica Urban, 2003. "Estimating the Size and Growth of Unrecorded Economic Activity in Transition Countries: A Re-evaluation of Electric Consumption Method Estimates and their Implications," Macroeconomics 0311010, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Alexeev & William Pyle, 2001.
"A Note on Measuring the Unofficial Economy in the Former Soviet Republics,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
436, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Michael Alexeev & William Pyle, 2002. "A Note on Measuring the Unofficial Economy in the Former Soviet Republics," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0230, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Helmut Stix, 2001. "Survey Results about Foreign Currency Holdings in Five Central and Eastern European Countries," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(3), pages 41-48, February.
- Ratna Sahay & Jeronimo Zettelmeyer & Eduardo Borensztein & Andrew Berg, 1999. "The Evolution of Output in Transition Economies; Explaining the Differences," IMF Working Papers 99/73, International Monetary Fund.
- Brian M. Doyle, 2000. ""Here, dollars, dollars ..."estimating currency demand and worldwide currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers 657, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Feige,Edgar L. (ed.), 1989. "The Underground Economies," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521262309.
- Seitz, Franz, 1995. "The circulation of Deutsche Mark abroad," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 1995,01e, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Feige, Edgar L., 1990.
"Defining and estimating underground and informal economies: The new institutional economics approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 989-1002, July.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2003. "Defining And Estimating Underground And Informal Economies: The New Institional Economics Approach," Development and Comp Systems 0312003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2003.
"The Dynamics of Currency Substitution, Asset Substitution and De facto Dollarization and Euroization in Transition Countrieses,"
0305003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Feige,E.L., 2003. "The dynamics of currency substitution, asset substitution and de facto dollarization and euroization in transition countries," Working papers 3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2003. "The Dynamics of Currency Substitution, Asset Substitution and De facto Dollarization and Euroization in Transition Countries," Macroeconomics 0302005, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nauro F. Campos & Abrizio Coricelli, 2002.
"Growth in Transition: What We Know, What We Don't, and What We Should,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-836, September.
- Campos, Nauro F & Coricelli, Fabrizio, 2002. "Growth in Transition: What we Know, What we Don't and What we Should," CEPR Discussion Papers 3246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nauro F. Campos & Fabrizio Coricelli, 2002. "Growth in Transition: What We Know, What We Don't, and What We Should," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 470, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Feige, Edgar L, 1994. "The Underground Economy and the Currency Enigma," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 49(Supplemen), pages 119-136.
- Johnson, Simon & Kaufmann, Daniel & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 1998. "Regulatory Discretion and the Unofficial Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 387-392, May.
- Mária Lackó, 2000. "Hidden Economy - an Unknown Quantity? Comparative Analysis of Hidden Economies in Transition Countries, 1989-95," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(1), pages 117-149, March.
- Trevor Breusch, 2006. "Size, Causes and Consequences of the Underground Economy: An International Perspective Edited by Christopher Bajada and Friedrich Schneider," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(259), pages 492-494, December.
- Oleh Havrylyshyn, 2001. "Recovery and Growth in Transition: A Decade of Evidence," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(4), pages 1-4.
- Richard D. Porter & Ruth Judson, 1996. "The location of U.S. currency: how much is abroad?," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 883-903.
- Friedman, Eric & Johnson, Simon & Kaufmann, Daniel & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 2000. "Dodging the grabbing hand: the determinants of unofficial activity in 69 countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 459-493, June.
- Gerxhani, Klarita, 2004. "Tax evasion in transition: Outcome of an institutional clash? Testing Feige's conjecture in Albania," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 729-745, August.
- repec:hrv:faseco:30728045 is not listed on IDEAS
- Manik L. Shrestha & Adriaan M. Bloem, 2000. "Comprehensive Measures of GDP and the Unrecorded Economy," IMF Working Papers 00/204, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Alexeev & William Pyle, 2003. "A note on measuring the unofficial economy in the former Soviet Republics -super-1," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(1), pages 153-175, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Friedrich Schneider, 2016. "Comment on Feige's Paper "Reflections on the Meaning and Measurement of Unobserved Economies: What do we really know about the 'Shadow Economy'?"," CESifo Working Paper Series 5818, CESifo Group Munich.
- Luisanna Onnis & Patrizio Tirelli, 2010. "Challenging the popular wisdom. New estimates of the unobserved economy," Working Papers 184, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2010.
- Sadia Banchirigah & Gavin Hilson, 2010. "De-agrarianization, re-agrarianization and local economic development: Re-orientating livelihoods in African artisanal mining communities," Policy Sciences, Springer;Society of Policy Sciences, vol. 43(2), pages 157-180, June.
- Arkhipov, Roman & Katyshev, Pavel, 2016. "Electric power generation and GDP in Russia: Cointegration analysis," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 44, pages 38-49.
- Feige, Edgar L., 2015.
"Reflections on the meaning and measurement of Unobserved Economies: What do we really know about the “Shadow Economy”?,"
68466, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Feige, Edgar L., 2016. "Reflections on the meaning and measurement of Unobserved Economies: What do we really know about the "Shadow Economy"," MPRA Paper 69271, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Feb 2016.
- Nikolay Nenovsky, 2010.
"Monetary Regimes In Post-Communist Countries Some Long-Term Reflections,"
Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice,
Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 57, pages 217-234, november.
- Nikolay Nenovsky, 2009. "Monetary Regimes in Post-Communist Countries. Some Long-Term Reflections," Working paper series 12009en, Agency for Economic Analysis and Forecasting.
- Bogdan Mróz, 2012. "The Shadow Economy and Systemic Transformation: The Case of Poland," Chapters,in: Tax Evasion and the Shadow Economy, chapter 6 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Jože Kocjancic & Stefan Bojnec, 2011. "Analisys of the Shadow Economy in the Wood Industry," MIC 2011: Managing Sustainability? Proceedings of the 12th International Conference, Portorož, 23–26 November 2011 [Selected Papers], University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper.
- Colombo, Emilio & Onnis, Luisanna & Tirelli, Patrizio, 2016.
"Shadow economies at times of banking crises: Empirics and theory,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 180-190.
- Emilio Colombo & Luisanna Onnis & Patrizio Tirelli, 2013. "Shadow economies at times of banking crises: empirics and theory," Working Papers 234, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2013.
- Putniņš, Tālis J. & Sauka, Arnis, 2015. "Measuring the shadow economy using company managers," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 471-490.
- Serguey Braguinsky & Sergey Mityakov & Andrey Liscovich, 2014. "Direct Estimation of Hidden Earnings: Evidence from Russian Administrative Data," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(2), pages 281-319.
- Colin C. Williams & Jan Windebank, 2011. "Regional Variations in the Nature of the Shadow Economy: Evidence from a Survey of 27 European Union Member States," Chapters,in: Handbook on the Shadow Economy, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Byung-Yeon Kim, 2011. "The Unofficial Economy in Russia," KIER Working Papers 797, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Pääkkönen, Jenni, 2010. "Economic freedom as driver of growth in transition," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 469-479, December.
- da Rocha, Bruno T., 2015. "Let the markets begin: The interplay between free prices and privatisation in early transition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 350-370.
- Diego Ravenda & Josep Argilés-Bosch & Maika Valencia-Silva, 2015. "Labor Tax Avoidance and Its Determinants: The Case of Mafia Firms in Italy," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 132(1), pages 41-62, November.
- Feige, Edgar L. & Cebula, Richard, 2011. "America’s unreported economy: measuring the size, growth and determinants of income tax evasion in the U.S," MPRA Paper 34781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pablo Duarte, 2017.
"The relationship between GDP and the size of the informal economy: empirical evidence for Spain,"
Springer, vol. 52(4), pages 1409-1421, June.
- Duarte, Pablo, 2014. "The relationship between GDP and the size of the informal economy: Empirical evidence for Spain," Working Papers 127, University of Leipzig, Faculty of Economics and Management Science.
- Jesús Clemente & Gemma Larramona, 2012. "Can a legalization programme for immigrants generate conflict among natives?," Chapters,in: Migration Impact Assessment, chapter 11, pages 365-386 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada & Gërxhani, Klarita, 2016. "Tax evasion and well-being: A study of the social and institutional context in Central and Eastern Europe," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 45(S), pages 149-159.
- Stanisław Cichocki, 2009. "Shadow Economy and Its Relations with Tax System and State Budget in Poland," Ekonomia journal, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw, vol. 24.
- Feige, Edgar L., 2016. "Professor Schneider's Shadow Economy:What do we really know? A Rejoinder," MPRA Paper 71903, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Milen V. Velev, 2014. "A Research on the Relationship between the Real Aggregate Output and the Unemployment Rate in Bulgaria," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 3, pages 58-91.
- Robina Ather Ahmed & Mark Rider, 2008. "Pakistan’s Tax Gap: Estimates By Tax Calculation and Methodology," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0811, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
More about this item
KeywordsKey words: Underground; unrecorded; unobserved; non-observed; NOE; hidden; informal; shadow; GDP; national accounts; transition economies;
- O11 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- P24 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - National Income, Product, and Expenditure; Money; Inflation
- E26 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Informal Economy; Underground Economy
- E01 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2008-03-01 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-TRA-2008-03-01 (Transition Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:7345. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .