Assessing Time-Varying Oligopoly and Oligopsony Power in the U.S. Paper Industry
The U.S. paper industry has become increasingly concentrated and therefore been suspected of imperfect competition. In this study, the new empirical industrial organization approach is employed to measure the degree of oligopoly and oligopsony power in the U.S. paper industry simultaneously. The model is estimated by iterative three-stage least squares using annual data from 1955 to 2003. The results reveal that there has been significant oligopoly and oligopsony power in the U.S. paper industry, and the oligopoly power has been consistently lower than the oligopsony power.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffery Bernstein, 1991.
"Price Margins and Capital Adjustment: Canadian Mill Products and Pulp and Paper Industries,"
Carleton Economic Papers
91-07, Carleton University, Department of Economics, revised Sep 1992.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I., 1992. "Price margins and capital adjustment : Canadian mill products and pulp and paper industries," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 491-510, September.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein, 1992. "Price Margins and Capital Adjustment: Canadian Mill Products and Pulp and Paper Industries," NBER Working Papers 3982, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I., 1991. "Price Margins and Capital Adjustment: Canadian Mill Products and Pulp and Paper Industries," Working Papers 91-42, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Sanjib Bhuyan & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 1997. "Oligopoly Power in the Food and Tobacco Industries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 1035-1043.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:47268. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.