Price Margins and Capital Adjustment: Canadian Mill Products and Pulp and Paper Industries
The purpose of this paper is to estimate a model incorporating noncompetitive behaviour in product and factor markets, In addition, capital accumulation is subject to adjustment costs so that firms are not constrained to be in long-run equilibrium. The model is applied to two major Canadian manufacturing industries: pulp and paper and mill products. The results show for both industries in each of the three product markets and the wood input market that there is competitive behaviour. In addition, the industries are not in long-run equilibrium as marginal adjustment costs cause marginal profit to exceed the rental rate on capital. With the industries exhibiting short-run competitive behaviour in product and factor markets, new estimates are derived for scale economies and rates of technological change. Unlike the results from other studies, both industries exhibit small scale economies and positive rates of technological change.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1992|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as International Journal of Industrial Organization 10, pp. 491-510 (1992).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberts, Mark J., 1984. "Testing oligopolistic behavior," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 367-383, December.
- Morrison, C. J. & Berndt, E. R., 1981. "Short-run labor productivity in a dynamic model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 339-365, August.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & Pierre A. Mohnen, 1991.
"Price-Cost Margins, Exports and Productivity Growth: With an Application to Canadian Industries,"
NBER Working Papers
3584, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & Pierre Mohnen, 1991. "Price-Cost Margins, Exports and Productivity Growth: With an Application to Canadian Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(3), pages 638-59, August.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1988.
"Research and Development and Intraindustry Spillovers: An Empirical Application of Dynamic Duality,"
88-06, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I & Nadiri, M Ishaq, 1989. "Research and Development and Intra-industry Spillovers: An Empirical Application of Dynamic Duality," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 249-67, April.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1986. "Research and Development and Intraindustry Spillovers: An Empirical Application of Dynamic Duality," NBER Working Papers 2002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Treadway, Arthur B, 1971. "The Rational Multivariate Flexible Accelerator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 845-55, September.
- Jorgenson, Dale W., 1986. "Econometric methods for modeling producer behavior," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1841-1915 Elsevier.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1989. "Unraveling the Productivity Growth Slowdown in the U.S., Canada and Japan: The Effects of Subequilibrium, Scale Economies and Markup," NBER Working Papers 2993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mohnen, Pierre A. & Nadiri, M. Ishaq & Prucha, Ingmar R., 1986. "R&D, production structure and rates of return in the U.S., Japanese and German manufacturing sectors: A non-separable dynamic factor demand model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 749-771, August.
- Geroski, Paul A, 1988. "In Pursuit of Monopoly Power: Recent Quantitative Work in Industrial Economics," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(2), pages 107-23, April.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983. "Dynamic Factor Demands and the Effects of Energy Price Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1066-79, December.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1982. "Generalized Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1269-86, September.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Yatchew, Adonis J., 1985. "The empirical determination of technology and expectations : A simplified procedure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 235-258, February.
- Epstein, Larry G., 1982. "Comparative dynamics in the adjustment-cost model of the firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 77-100, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3982. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.