Financial Structure, Production and Productivity Growth in U.S. Food Manufacturing Industry
This paper examines the effects of financial decsion on production, input demands, profitability, and productivityis in U.S. food manufacturing industry. Empirical results shows that output supply, variable input demands, profitability and productivity are affected by agency costs of debt and signaling benefits of dividend payments. Positive contribution of signalling benefits of dividend payments was more than offset by the negative effects of agency cost of debt in TFP growth.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Morrison, Catherine J., 1992.
"High-tech capital formation and economic performance in U.S. manufacturing industries : an exploratory analysis,"
3419-92., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Morrison, Catherine J., 1995. "High-tech capital formation and economic performance in U.S. manufacturing industries An exploratory analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-43, January.
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1984.
"The Economic Effects of Dividend Taxation,"
343, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Brander, James A & Spencer, Barbara J, 1989. "Moral Hazard and Limited Liability: Implications for the Theory of the Firm," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 833-49, November.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983. "Dynamic Factor Demands and the Effects of Energy Price Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1066-79, December.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1980.
"Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
0254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Catherine J. Morrison & Donald Siegel, 1997. "External Capital Factors And Increasing Returns In U.S. Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 647-654, November.
- Greenwald, Bruce C. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1989.
"Financial Market Imperfections and Productivity Growth,"
Working Paper Series
206, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Greenwald, Bruce C. & Kohn, Meir & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1990. "Financial market imperfections and productivity growth," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 321-345, June.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1989. "Financial Market Imperfections and Productivity Growth," NBER Working Papers 2945, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernstein, J.I. & Nadiri, M.I., 1993.
"Production, Financial Structure and Productivity Growth in U.S. Manufacturing,"
93-10, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1993. "Production, Financial Structure and Productivity Growth in U.S. Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 4309, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1990.
"Tax Policy and the Dividend Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
3434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1988.
"Corporate Taxes and Incentives and the Structure of Production: A Selected Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
2579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1988. "Corporate Taxes And Incentives And The Structure Of Production: A Selected Survey," Working Papers 88-11, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Kim, Moshe & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 1990. "Technology, debt and the exploitation of growth options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1113-1131, December.
- Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 1999. "Scale Effects and Mark-ups in the US Food and Fibre Industries: Capital Investment and Import Penetration Impacts," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 64-82.
- Leland, Hayne E & Pyle, David H, 1977.
"Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 371-87, May.
- Hayne E. Leland and David H. Pyle., 1976. "Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 41, University of California at Berkeley.
- Morrison, C. J. & Berndt, E. R., 1981. "Short-run labor productivity in a dynamic model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 339-365, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea01:20756. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.