Price-Cost Margins, Exports and Productivity Growth: With an Application to Canadian Industries
A model is estimated for oligopolistic industries producing multiple outputs in short-run equilibrium. Outputs are sold domestically and exported, while capital is treated as a quasi-fixed factor. The model is applied to the Canadian nonelectrical machinery, electrical products and chemical products industries. The results show that there is significant oligopoly power in each of the industries, and that the degree of this power differs between the domestic and export markets. Total factor productivity is decomposed. Price-cost margins exert little influence but the rate of technological change, returns to scale and the rate of capital adjustment determine productivity growth.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as The Canadian Journal of Economics, Vol. 24 No. 3, pp. 638-659, (August 1991).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I., 1987.
"An Examination of the Equilibrium Specification and Structure of Production for Canadian Telecommunications,"
87-21, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I, 1989. "An Examination of the Equilibrium Specification and Structure of Production for Canadian Telecommunications," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(3), pages 265-82, July-Sept.
- Robert H. Porter, 1983. "A Study of Cartel Stability: The Joint Executive Committee, 1880-1886," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 301-314, Autumn.
- Iwata, Gyoichi, 1974. "Measurement of Conjectural Variations in Oligopoly," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 947-66, September.
- Hulten, Charles R, 1973. "Divisia Index Numbers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1017-25, November.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986.
"Market Structure and Cyclical Fluctuations in U.S. Manufacturing,"
NBER Working Papers
2115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Domowitz, Ian & Hubbard, R Glenn & Petersen, Bruce C, 1988. "Market Structure and Cyclical Fluctuations in U.S. Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 55-66, February.
- Kulatilaka, Nalin, 1985. "Tests on the validity of static equilibrium models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 253-268, May.
- Mohnen, P, 1987. "The Effects of U.S. Shocks on Canadian Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of the Electrical Products Industry," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 221-47.
- Gollop, Frank M. & Roberts, Mark J., 1979. "Firm interdependence in oligopolistic markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 313-331, August.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1979. "Testing price taking behavior," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 283-294, February.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Schankerman, Mark & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1986. "A test of static equilibrium models and rates of return to quasi-fixed factors, with an application to the Bell system," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 97-118.
- Diewert, W. E., 1977. "Generalized slutsky conditions for aggregate consumer demand functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 353-362, August.
- Cowling, Keith & Waterson, Michael, 1976. "Price-Cost Margins and Market Structure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(171), pages 267-74, August.
- Elie Appelbaum & Ulrich R. Kohli, 1979. "Canada-United States Trade: Tests for the Small-Open-Economy Hypothesis," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3584. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.