The effect of international trade on mark-ups distribution
This paper presents empirical evidence about the relationship between market openness and markup distribution of manufacturing firms. The empirical analysis uses a panel data set of Spanish firms in the period 1990-2005, with a structural approach that lets us to identify individual mark-ups. The results point out that tougher competition associated to openness reduces the average of marginal costs and prices, while it increases the average firm size. However, the evidence about the effect on average markups and the dispersion of performance variables is weaker. These results partially support the theoretical predictions by the recent literature on efficiency heterogeneity and international trade and, in particular, Melitz and Ottaviano (2008).
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano, 2008.
"Market Size, Trade, and Productivity,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 75(1), pages 295-316.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Scholarly Articles 3229096, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Development Working Papers 201, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," NBER Working Papers 11393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lourdes Moreno Martin & Diego Rodriguez Rodriguez, 2010. "Export activity, persistence and mark-ups," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 475-488.
- Lourdes Moreno & Diego Rodríguez, 2004.
"Domestic and Foreign Price/Marginal-cost Margins: an Application to Spanish Manufacturing Firms,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 60-80, 02.
- Lourdes Moreno Martín & Diego Rodríguez Rodríguez, 2000. "Domestic and foreign price-marginal cost margins: An application to Spanish manufacturing firms," Working Papers 00-03, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Gianmarco Ottaviano & Takatoshi Tabuchi & Jacques-FranÁois Thisse, 2002.
"Agglomeration and Trade Revisited,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 409-436, May.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1998. "Agglomeration and Trade Revisited," CEPR Discussion Papers 1903, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gianmarco Ottaviano & Takatoshi Tabuchi & Jacques-Francois Tissse, 1999. "Agglomeration and Trade Revisited," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-65, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 1999. "Agglomeration and trade revisited," CORE Discussion Papers 1999041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Roeger, Werner, 1995. "Can Imperfect Competition Explain the Difference between Primal and Dual Productivity Measures? Estimates for U.S. Manufacturing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(2), pages 316-30, April.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & Pierre Mohnen, 1991.
"Price-Cost Margins, Exports and Productivity Growth: With an Application to Canadian Industries,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(3), pages 638-59, August.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & Pierre A. Mohnen, 1991. "Price-Cost Margins, Exports and Productivity Growth: With an Application to Canadian Industries," NBER Working Papers 3584, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:22652. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.