Optimal Dynamic Management of a Renewable Energy Source under Uncertainty
We consider a risk averse planner who has access to different energy sources to produce electricity; hydroelectricity is produced with a dam and thermal electricity is obtained from an unlimited supply at some exogenous cost. The dam is supplied with a random water ow. The presence of constraints on a minimal and maximal storage capacity makes electricity consumption smoothing possible only when the quantity of water available to the agent lies in a certain range that is determined. Consumption smoothing is possible even when the dam is almost empty thanks to the alternative costly energy source. Moreover, a comparative statics analysis reveals that the marginal propensity to produce hydroelectricity is an increasing function of the cost of the second technology. Therefore, the availability of the fossil source at a low cost improves time diversification. Finally, the optimal electric park is composed of a number of dams that increases with the cost of the alternative technology.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 103-104 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3, avenue Pierre Larousse, 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Web page: https://annals.ensae.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carroll, Christopher D & Kimball, Miles S, 1996.
"On the Concavity of the Consumption Function,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 981-992, July.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Miles S. Kimball, 1995. "On the concavity of the consumption function," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christopher D. Carroll & Miles S. Kimball, 1995. "On the Concavity of the Consumption Function," Macroeconomics 9503003, EconWPA.
- Angus Deaton & Guy Laroque, 1992. "On the Behaviour of Commodity Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(1), pages 1-23.
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989. "On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices," Papers 145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Angus Deaton & Guy Laroque, 1990. "On The Behavior of Commodity Prices," NBER Working Papers 3439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989. "On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices," Papers 145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Deaton, Angus, 1991. "Saving and Liquidity Constraints," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1221-1248, September.
- Angus Deaton, 1989. "Saving and Liquidity Constraints," NBER Working Papers 3196, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deaton, A., 1989. "Saving And Liquidity Constraints," Papers 153, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Christian Gollier, 2004. "The Economics of Risk and Time," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262572249, January.
- Christopher D Carroll, 1990. "Buffer-Stock Saving and the Life Cycle/Permanent Income Hypothesis," Economics Working Paper Archive 371, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics, revised Aug 1996.
- Christopher D. Carroll, 1996. "Buffer-Stock Saving and the Life Cycle/Permanent Income Hypothesis," NBER Working Papers 5788, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Garcia, Alfredo & Reitzes, James D & Stacchetti, Ennio, 2001. "Strategic Pricing when Electricity is Storable," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 223-247, November.
- Loek Groot, 2004. "La consommation de ressources environnementales en incertitude," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 70(3), pages 255-286.
- Heal, Geoffrey M., 1993. "The optimal use of exhaustible resources," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics,in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 18, pages 855-880 Elsevier.
- Heal, G., 1990. "The Optimal Use Of Exhaustible Resources," Papers fb-_90-10, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Crampes, C. & Moreaux, M., 2001. "Water resource and power generation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 975-997, May.
- Deaton, Angus & Laroque, Guy, 1996. "Competitive Storage and Commodity Price Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(5), pages 896-923, October.
- Wright, Brian, 2001. "Storage and price stabilization," Handbook of Agricultural Economics,in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 817-861 Elsevier.
- Michael Hoel, 1978. "Resource Extraction, Uncertainty, and Learning," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 642-645, Autumn.
- Wright, Brian D & Williams, Jeffrey C, 1982. "The Economic Role of Commodity Storage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 596-614, September.
- Alain AYONG LE KAMA, 2004. "La consommation de ressources environnementales en incertitude," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2004031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Michael Hoel, 1978. "Resource Extraction when a Future Substitute has an Uncertain Cost," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(3), pages 637-644.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Howitt, Peter, 1989. "A note on uncertainty and the hotelling rule," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 80-86, January.
- Brian D. Wright & Jeffrey C. Williams, 1984. "The Welfare Effects of the Introduction of Storage," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 99(1), pages 169-192.
- Gollier, Christian, 2002. "Time diversification, liquidity constraints, and decreasing aversion to risk on wealth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1439-1459, October.
- Soderholm, Patrik, 2001. "Fossil fuel flexibility in west European power generation and the impact of system load factors," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 77-97, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)