Are Young French Jobseekers of Ethnic Immigrant Origin Discriminated Against? A Controlled Experiment in the Paris Area
This study uses the findings of a correspondence test in order to assess the potential discrimination at the job access level against young people of ethnic minority origin from the underprivileged suburbs of the Paris area (Ile-de-France). We measure simultaneously the effects of place of residence (privileged or underprivileged town), of nationality (French or Moroccan), and of sound of surname and of forename on the chances of obtaining a job interview when answering a job advertisement. We base our assessment on a controlled experiment conducted on the profession of accountant. We constructed 16 jobseeker profiles and sent 1 097 résumés in reply to 140 job vacancies advertised at the end of 2006. We find evidence of an important discrimination against candidates of foreign origin, that is partly counterbalanced by the actions of the governmental employment agency and the large corporations.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 99-100 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3, avenue Pierre Larousse, 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Web page: https://annals.ensae.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pascale Petit, 2003. "Comment évaluer la discrimination à l'embauche ?," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 17(3), pages 55-87.
- Aeberhardt, Romain & Pouget, Julien, 2007.
"National Origin Wage Differentials in France: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2779, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Romain Aeberhardt & Julien Pouget, 2007. "National Origin Wage Differentials in France. Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data”," Working Papers 2007-15, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Rachid Boumahdi & Jean-François Giret, 2005.
"Une analyse économétrique des disparités d'accès à l'emploi et de rémunérations entre jeunes d'origine française et jeunes issus de l'immigration,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 56(3), pages 625-636.
- Rachid Boumahdi & Jean-François Giret, 2005. "Une analyse économétrique des disparités d'accès à l'emploi et de rémunérations entre jeunes d'origine française et jeunes issus de l'immigration," Post-Print halshs-00005182, HAL.
- Riach, Peter A & Rich, Judith, 1991.
"Testing for Racial Discrimination in the Labour Market,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 239-256, September.
- Peter Riach & Judith Rich, 1991. "Testing for racial discrimination in the labour market," Natural Field Experiments 00327, The Field Experiments Website.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adr:anecst:y:2010:i:99-100:p:187-215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurent Linnemer)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.