Are young French jobseekers of ethnic immigrant origin discriminated against? A controlled experiment in the Paris area
This study uses the findings of a correspondence testing in order to assess the potential discrimination at job access level against young people of ethnic origin from the underprivileged suburbs of the Paris area (Ile-de-France). We measure simultaneously the effects of place of residence (privileged or underprivileged city), of nationality (French or Moroccan), and of sound of surname and of forename on the chances of obtaining a job interview when answering a job ad. We base our assessment on a controlled experiment conducted on the profession of accountant. We constructed 16 jobseeker profiles and sent 1097 resumes in reply to 139 job vacancies advertised at the end of 2006. We find evidence of a significant discrimination.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 1 69 47 71 77
Fax: +33 1 69 47 70 50
Web page: http://epee.univ-evry.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riach, Peter A & Rich, Judith, 1991.
"Testing for Racial Discrimination in the Labour Market,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 239-56, September.
- Judith Rich & Peter Riach, 1991. "Testing for racial discrimination in the labour market," Natural Field Experiments 00327, The Field Experiments Website.
- Rachid Boumahdi & Jean-François Giret, 2005. "Une analyse économétrique des disparités d'accès à l'emploi et de rémunérations entre jeunes d'origine française et jeunes issus de l'immigration," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 56(3), pages 625-636.
- Pascale Petit, 2003. "Comment évaluer la discrimination à l'embauche ?," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 17(3), pages 55-87.
- Aeberhardt, Romain & Pouget, Julien, 2007.
"National Origin Wage Differentials in France: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2779, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Romain Aeberhardt & Julien Pouget, 2007. "National Origin Wage Differentials in France. Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data”," Working Papers 2007-15, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eve:wpaper:08-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.