Mortality, family and lifestyles
AbstractWhile there is a large empirical literature on the intergenerational transmission of health and survival outcomes in relation to lifestyles, little theoretical work exists on the long-run prevalence of (un)healthy lifestyles induced by mortality patterns. To examine that issue, this paper develops an overlapping generations model where a healthy lifestyle and an unhealthy lifestyle are transmitted vertically or obliquely across generations. It is shown that there must exist a locally stable heterogeneous equilibrium involving a majority of healthy agents, as a result of the larger parental gains from socialization efforts under a higher life expectancy. Wealso examine the robustness of our results to the introduction of parental altruistic concerns for children's health and of asymmetric socialization costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00564898.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00564898
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
altruism ; family ; lifestyle ; longevity ; socialization;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory Ponthiere, 2010.
"Unequal Longevities and Lifestyles Transmission,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 12(1), pages 93-126, 02.
- Jean-Baptiste Michau, 2013.
"Unemployment Insurance And Cultural Transmission: Theory And Application To European Unemployment,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 11(6), pages 1320-1347, December.
- Jean-Baptiste Michau, 2009. "Unemployment Insurance and Cultural Transmission: Theory and Application to European Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0936, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anne Case & Darren Lubotsky & Christina Paxson, 2001.
"Economic Status and Health in Childhood: The Origins of the Gradient,"
NBER Working Papers
8344, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anne Case & Darren Lubotsky & Christina Paxson, 2002. "Economic Status and Health in Childhood: The Origins of the Gradient," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1308-1334, December.
- Anne Case & Darren Lubotsky & Christina Paxson, 2002. "Economic status and health in childhood: the origins of the gradient," Working Papers 262, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Hersch, Joni, 2000. " Gender, Income Levels, and the Demand for Cigarettes," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 21(2-3), pages 263-82, November.
- Irina Grafova, 2007. "Your Money or Your Life: Managing Health, Managing Money," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 285-303, June.
- Bereket Kebede, 2004.
"Genetic Endowments, Parental and Child Health in Rural Ethiopia,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Bereket Kebede, 2005. "Genetic Endowments, Parental And Child Health In Rural Ethiopia," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 52(2), pages 194-221, 05.
- Bereket Kebede, 2003. "Genetic Endowments, Parental and Child Health in Rural Ethiopia," CSAE Working Paper Series 2003-10, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Bereket Kebede, 2003. "Genetic Endowments, Parental and Child Health in Rural Ethiopia," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2003-10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Baudin, Thomas, 2010.
"A Role For Cultural Transmission In Fertility Transitions,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(04), pages 454-481, September.
- Thomas Baudin, 2007. "A Role for Cultural Transmission in Fertility Transitions," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00159595, HAL.
- Thomas Baudin, 2007. "A role for cultural transmission in fertility transitions," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne v07032, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- BAUDIN, Thomas, . "A role for cultural transmission in fertility transitions," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2252, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alberto Bisin & Thierry Verdier, 2000.
""Beyond The Melting Pot": Cultural Transmission, Marriage, And The Evolution Of Ethnic And Religious Traits,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 115(3), pages 955-988, August.
- Bisin, A. & Verdier, T., 1999. "Beyond the Melting Pot : Cultural Transmission, Marriage, and the Evolution of Ethnic and Religious Traits," DELTA Working Papers 1999-10, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Bisin, A. & Verdier, T., 1999. "Beyond the Melting Pot: Cultural Transmission, Marriage, and the Evolution of Ethnic and Religious Traits," Papers 1999-10, Laval - Laboratoire Econometrie.
- Bisin, Alberto & Verdier, Thierry, 2001.
"The Economics of Cultural Transmission and the Dynamics of Preferences,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 298-319, April.
- Bisin, A. & Verdier, T., 1997. "The Economics of Cultural Transmission and the Dynamics of Preferences," DELTA Working Papers 97-03, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Alberto Bisin & Giorgio Topa & Thierry Verdier, 2004. "Religious Intermarriage and Socialization in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(3), pages 615-664, June.
- Zhuo Chen & Steven Yen & David Eastwood, 2007. "Does smoking have a causal effect on weight reduction?," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 49-67, March.
- Paul Contoyannis & Andrea M Jones, .
"Socioeconomic Status, Health and Lifestyle,"
01/19, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Gregory Ponthiere, 2007. "Monetizing Longevity Gains under Welfare Interdependencies: An Exploratory Study," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 449-469, September.
- Jones, Andrew M., 1994. "Health, addiction, social interaction and the decision to quit smoking," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 93-110, March.
- Goode, Alison & Mavromaras, Kostas G. & Smith, Murray, 2008. "Intergenerational Transmission of Healthy Eating Behaviour and the Role of Household Income," IZA Discussion Papers 3535, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anoshua Chaudhuri, 2009. "Spillover Impacts of a Reproductive Health Program on Elderly Women in Rural Bangladesh," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 113-125, June.
- S. Balia & AM. Jones, 2004.
"Mortality, Lifestyle and Socio-Economic Status,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200416, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Silvia Balia & Andrew M Jones, 2005. "Mortality, lifestyle and socio-economic status," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 05/02, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Coneus, Katja & Spieß, Christa Katharina, 2008. "The Intergenerational Transmission of Health in Early Childhood," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-073, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Anatoli Yashin & Ivan Iachine, 1997. "How frailty models can be used for evaluating longevity limits: Taking advantage of an interdisciplinary approach," Demography, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 31-48, February.
- Alisha Coleman-Jensen, 2011. "Working for Peanuts: Nonstandard Work and Food Insecurity Across Household Structure," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 84-97, March.
- Ahlburg, Dennis, 1998. "Intergenerational Transmission of Health," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 265-70, May.
- Olivier, Jacques & Thoenig, Mathias & Verdier, Thierry, 2008. "Globalization and the dynamics of cultural identity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 356-370, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.