Social Science & Medicine
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
To be notified about new items in this series: Free volume/issue alert on ScienceDirect (see also NEP)
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Editor: The email address of this editor does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ellen Annandale to have the entry updated or send us the correct address.
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Wendy Shamier)
Series handle: repec:eee:socmed
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
More pages of listings: 0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9| 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33| 34| 35| 36| 37| 38| 39| 40| 41| 42| 43| 44| 45| 46| 47| 48| 49| 50| 51| 52| 53| 54| 55| 56| 57
2013, Volume 97, Issue C
- 1-6 The impact of different prioritisation policies on waiting times: Case studies of Norway and Scotland
by Januleviciute, Jurgita & Askildsen, Jan Erik & Kaarboe, Oddvar & Holmås, Tor Helge & Sutton, Matt
- 7-14 Race, life course socioeconomic position, racial discrimination, depressive symptoms and self-rated health
by Hudson, Darrell L. & Puterman, Eli & Bibbins-Domingo, Kirsten & Matthews, Karen A. & Adler, Nancy E.
- 15-19 Child health security in China: A survey of child health insurance coverage in diverse areas of the country
by Xiong, Juyang & Hipgrave, David & Myklebust, Karoline & Guo, Sufang & Scherpbier, Robert W. & Tong, Xuetao & Yao, Lan & Moran, Andrew E.
- 20-28 Aboriginal Australians' experience of social capital and its relevance to health and wellbeing in urban settings
by Browne-Yung, Kathryn & Ziersch, Anna & Baum, Fran & Gallaher, Gilbert
- 29-40 The effect of marriage and HIV risks on condom use acceptability in rural Malawi
by Anglewicz, Philip & Clark, Shelley
- 41-48 Efficacy of text messaging-based interventions for health promotion: A meta-analysis
by Head, Katharine J. & Noar, Seth M. & Iannarino, Nicholas T. & Grant Harrington, Nancy
- 49-55 Perceived neighborhood social cohesion and stroke
by Kim, Eric S. & Park, Nansook & Peterson, Christopher
- 56-65 Exploring the health consequences of majority–minority neighborhoods: Minority diversity and birthweight among native-born and foreign-born blacks
by Vang, Zoua M. & Elo, Irma T.
- 66-74 The socioeconomic health gradient across the life cycle: What role for selective mortality and institutionalization?
by Baeten, Steef & Van Ourti, Tom & van Doorslaer, Eddy
- 75-81 Shame as a barrier to health seeking among indigenous Huichol migrant labourers: An interpretive approach of the “violence continuum” and “authoritative knowledge”
by Gamlin, Jennie B.
- 82-86 The acceptability and feasibility of task-sharing for mental healthcare in low and middle income countries: A systematic review
by Padmanathan, Prianka & De Silva, Mary J.
- 87-94 Planning safer suburbs: Do changes in the built environment influence residents' perceptions of crime risk?
by Foster, Sarah & Wood, Lisa & Christian, Hayley & Knuiman, Matthew & Giles-Corti, Billie
- 95-103 Neighbourhood socioeconomic status and individual lung cancer risk: Evaluating long-term exposure measures and mediating mechanisms
by Hystad, Perry & Carpiano, Richard M. & Demers, Paul A. & Johnson, Kenneth C. & Brauer, Michael
- 104-111 Spaces for smoking in a psychiatric hospital: Social capital, resistance to control, and significance for ‘therapeutic landscapes’
by Wood, Victoria J. & Curtis, Sarah E. & Gesler, Wil & Spencer, Ian H. & Close, Helen J. & Mason, James M. & Reilly, Joe G.
- 112-123 What constitutes a health-enabling neighborhood? A grounded theory situational analysis addressing the significance of social capital and gender
by Eriksson, Malin & Emmelin, Maria
- 124-133 Child marriage prevention in Amhara Region, Ethiopia: Association of communication exposure and social influence with parents/guardians' knowledge and attitudes
by Gage, Anastasia J.
- 134-142 Variation in the interpretation of scientific integrity in community-based participatory health research
by Kraemer Diaz, Anne E. & Spears Johnson, Chaya R. & Arcury, Thomas A.
- 143-151 Exploring substance use normalization among adolescents: A multilevel study in 35 countries
by Sznitman, Sharon R. & Kolobov, Tanya & Bogt, Tom ter & Kuntsche, Emmanuel & Walsh, Sophie D. & Boniel-Nissim, Meyran & Harel-Fisch, Yossi
- 152-160 Mothers' reading skills and child survival in Nigeria: Examining the relevance of mothers' decision-making power
by Smith-Greenaway, Emily
- 161-169 The influence of parental monitoring and parent–adolescent communication on Bahamian adolescent risk involvement: A three-year longitudinal examination
by Wang, Bo & Stanton, Bonita & Li, Xiaoming & Cottrell, Lesley & Deveaux, Lynette & Kaljee, Linda
- 170-175 Individual and hospital-specific factors influencing medical graduates' time to medical specialization
by Johannessen, Karl-Arne & Hagen, Terje P.
- 176-191 Negotiating last-minute concerns in closing Korean medical encounters: The use of gaze, body and talk
by Park, Yujong
- 192-200 Healthcare provider views on the health effects of biomass fuel collection and use in rural Eastern Cape, South Africa: An ethnographic study
by Matinga, Margaret Njirambo & Annegarn, Harold J. & Clancy, Joy S.
- 201-209 Compassionate containment? Balancing technical safety and therapy in the design of psychiatric wards
by Curtis, Sarah & Gesler, Wilbert & Wood, Victoria & Spencer, Ian & Mason, James & Close, Helen & Reilly, Joseph
- 210-219 The seven Cs of the high acceptability of home-based VCT: Results from a mixed methods approach in Zambia
by Jürgensen, Marte & Sandøy, Ingvild F. & Michelo, Charles & Fylkesnes, Knut & Mwangala, Sheila & Blystad, Astrid
- 220-227 Protecting the public or setting the bar too high? Understanding the causes and consequences of regulatory actions of front-line regulators and specialized drug shop operators in Kenya
by Wafula, Francis & Molyneux, Catherine & Mackintosh, Maureen & Goodman, Catherine
- 228-237 Effectiveness and equity impacts of town-wide cycling initiatives in England: A longitudinal, controlled natural experimental study
by Goodman, Anna & Panter, Jenna & Sharp, Stephen J. & Ogilvie, David
- 241-249 Subsidized childcare and child development in Colombia: Effects of Hogares Comunitarios de Bienestar as a function of timing and length of exposure
by Bernal, Raquel & Fernández, Camila
- 250-258 Effectiveness of a parenting program in Bangladesh to address early childhood health, growth and development
by Aboud, Frances E. & Singla, Daisy R. & Nahil, Md Imam & Borisova, Ivelina
- 259-266 Malnutrition in early life and adult mental health: Evidence from a natural experiment
by Huang, Cheng & Phillips, Michael R. & Zhang, Yali & Zhang, Jingxuan & Shi, Qichang & Song, Zhiqiang & Ding, Zhijie & Pang, Shutao & Martorell, Reynaldo
- 267-277 Physical growth and cognitive skills in early-life: Evidence from a nationally representative US birth cohort
by Murasko, Jason E.
- 278-287 Periods of child growth up to age 8 years in Ethiopia, India, Peru and Vietnam: Key distal household and community factors
by Schott, Whitney B. & Crookston, Benjamin T. & Lundeen, Elizabeth A. & Stein, Aryeh D. & Behrman, Jere R.
- 288-296 The critical period of infant feeding for the development of early disparities in obesity
by Thompson, Amanda L. & Bentley, Margaret E.
- 297-306 Media representations of early human development: Protecting, feeding and loving the developing brain
by O'Connor, Cliodhna & Joffe, Helene
- 307-315 Screening for developmental disabilities in developing countries
by Bornstein, Marc H. & Hendricks, Charlene
- 316-324 Estimating the critical and sensitive periods of investment in early childhood: A methodological note
by Popli, Gurleen & Gladwell, Daniel & Tsuchiya, Aki
2013, Volume 96, Issue C
- 1-8 Intelligent policy making? Key actors' perspectives on the development and implementation of an early years' initiative in Scotland's public health arena
by Deas, L. & Mattu, L. & Gnich, W.
- 9-16 Disembodied abilities: Sick role and participation in ‘activating’ return-to-work practices
by van Hal, Lineke & Meershoek, Agnes & Nijhuis, Frans & Horstman, Klasien
- 17-23 A cluster analytic examination of acculturation and health status among Asian Americans in the Washington DC metropolitan area, United States
by Lee, Sunmin & Chen, Lu & He, Xin & Miller, Matthew J. & Juon, Hee-Soon
- 24-32 Social valorisation of stoutness as a determinant of obesity in the context of nutritional transition in Cameroon: The Bamiléké case
by Cohen, E. & Boetsch, G. & Palstra, F.P. & Pasquet, P.
- 33-44 Getting doctors into the bush: General Practitioners' preferences for rural location
by Scott, Anthony & Witt, Julia & Humphreys, John & Joyce, Catherine & Kalb, Guyonne & Jeon, Sung-Hee & McGrail, Matthew
- 45-51 A test of the substitution hypothesis: An analysis of urban and rural trends in solid/liquid poisoning suicides in Taiwan
by Chen, Ying-Yeh & Kwok, Chi-Leung & Yip, Paul S.F. & Wu, Kevin Chien-Chang
- 52-59 Discretion or discretions? Delineating professional discretion: The case of English medical practice
by Cheraghi-Sohi, Sudeh & Calnan, Michael
- 60-68 A geographical perspective on access to sexual and reproductive health care for women in rural Africa
by Yao, Jing & Murray, Alan T. & Agadjanian, Victor
- 69-77 How teams use indicators for quality improvement – A multiple-case study on the use of multiple indicators in multidisciplinary breast cancer teams
by Gort, Marjan & Broekhuis, Manda & Regts, Gerdien
- 78-85 Personal identity and the role of ‘carer’ among relatives and friends of people with multiple sclerosis
by Hughes, Nic & Locock, Louise & Ziebland, Sue
- 86-94 A systematic review and meta-analysis of antecedents of blood donation behavior and intentions
by Bednall, Timothy C. & Bove, Liliana L. & Cheetham, Ali & Murray, Andrea L.
- 95-103 Biogenetic explanations and stigma: A meta-analytic review of associations among laypeople
by Kvaale, Erlend P. & Gottdiener, William H. & Haslam, Nick
- 104-111 Making information ‘relevant’: General Practitioner judgments and the production of patient involvement
by Clinch, Megan & Benson, John
- 112-120 Early supplementary feeding among central African foragers and farmers: A biocultural approach
by Meehan, Courtney L. & Roulette, Jennifer W.
- 121-128 Biomedicalization and the public sphere: Newspaper coverage of health and medicine, 1960s–2000s
by Hallin, Daniel C. & Brandt, Marisa & Briggs, Charles L.
- 129-137 The effect of physical activity on long-term income
by Hyytinen, Ari & Lahtonen, Jukka
- 138-146 Parents' and professionals' perceptions of family-centered care for children with autism spectrum disorder across service sectors
by Hodgetts, Sandra & Nicholas, David & Zwaigenbaum, Lonnie & McConnell, David
- 147-153 The evolving concept of “patient-centeredness” in patient–physician communication research
by Ishikawa, Hirono & Hashimoto, Hideki & Kiuchi, Takahiro
- 154-164 Effects of an HIV peer prevention intervention on sexual and injecting risk behaviors among injecting drug users and their risk partners in Thai Nguyen, Vietnam: A randomized controlled trial
by Go, Vivian F. & Frangakis, Constantine & Le Minh, Nguyen & Latkin, Carl A. & Ha, Tran Viet & Mo, Tran Thi & Sripaipan, Teerada & Davis, Wendy & Zelaya, Carla & Vu, Pham The & Chen, Yong & Celentano, David D. & Quan, Vu Minh
- 165-173 The impact of psychological trauma on wages in post-conflict Bosnia and Herzegovina
by Searing, Elizabeth A.M. & Rios-Avila, Fernando & Lecy, Jesse D.
- 174-182 Neighborhood cohesion and daily well-being: Results from a diary study
by Robinette, Jennifer W. & Charles, Susan T. & Mogle, Jacqueline A. & Almeida, David M.
- 183-191 Dietary inequalities of mother–child pairs in the rural Amazon: Evidence of maternal-child buffering?
by Piperata, Barbara A. & Schmeer, Kammi K. & Hadley, Craig & Ritchie-Ewing, Genevieve
- 192-199 Managing misaligned paternity findings in research including sickle cell disease screening in Kenya: ‘Consulting communities’ to inform policy
by Marsh, Vicki & Kombe, Francis & Fitzpatrick, Ray & Molyneux, Sassy & Parker, Michael
- 200-207 Specificity of early movie effects on adolescent sexual behavior and alcohol use
by O'Hara, Ross E. & Gibbons, Frederick X. & Li, Zhigang & Gerrard, Meg & Sargent, James D.
- 208-213 Advancing our understanding of sibling supervision and injury risk for young children
by Morrongiello, Barbara A. & Schell, Stacey L. & Keleher, Bethany
- 216-222 Building institutions for health and health systems in contexts of rapid change
by Bloom, Gerald & Wolcott, Sara
- 223-231 Strengthening institutional and organizational capacity for social health protection of the informal sector in lesser-developed countries: A study of policy barriers and opportunities in Cambodia
by Annear, Peter Leslie & Ahmed, Shakil & Ros, Chhun Eang & Ir, Por
- 232-240 The promises and perils of hospital autonomy
by London, Jonathan D.
- 241-249 Strengthening district health service management and delivery through internal contracting: Lessons from pilot projects in Cambodia
by Khim, Keovathanak & Annear, Peter Leslie
- 250-257 Institutional design and organizational practice for universal coverage in lesser-developed countries: Challenges facing the Lao PDR
by Ahmed, Shakil & Annear, Peter Leslie & Phonvisay, Bouaphat & Phommavong, Chansaly & Cruz, Valeria de Oliveira & Hammerich, Asmus & Jacobs, Bart
- 258-263 Financial burden of household out-of pocket health expenditure in Viet Nam: Findings from the National Living Standard Survey 2002–2010
by Van Minh, Hoang & Kim Phuong, Nguyen Thi & Saksena, Priyanka & James, Chris D. & Xu, Ke
- 264-271 Social health insurance for the poor: Targeting and impact of Indonesia's Askeskin programme
by Sparrow, Robert & Suryahadi, Asep & Widyanti, Wenefrida
- 272-276 Willingness to pay for voluntary community-based health insurance: Findings from an exploratory study in the state of Penang, Malaysia
by Shafie, A.A. & Hassali, M.A.
- 277-284 Consumer choice among Mutual Healthcare Purchasers: A feasible option for China?
by Xu, Weiwei & van de Ven, Wynand P.M.M.
- 285-289 Scaling-up the medical workforce in Timor-Leste: Challenges of a great leap forward
by Cabral, Jorge & Dussault, Gilles & Buchan, James & Ferrinho, Paulo
- 290-296 Medical professionalism among clinical physicians in two tertiary hospitals, China
by Chen, Jing & Xu, Juan & Zhang, Chunmei & Fu, Xinqiao
- 297-304 Unfree markets: Socially embedded informal health providers in northern Karnataka, India
by George, Asha & Iyer, Aditi
2013, Volume 95, Issue C
- 6-15 Child health in the United States: Recent trends in racial/ethnic disparities
by Mehta, Neil K. & Lee, Hedwig & Ylitalo, Kelly R.
- 16-23 Family structure and child anemia in Mexico
by Schmeer, Kammi K.
- 24-33 Going beyond the surface: Gendered intra-household bargaining as a social determinant of child health and nutrition in low and middle income countries
by Richards, Esther & Theobald, Sally & George, Asha & Kim, Julia C. & Rudert, Christiane & Jehan, Kate & Tolhurst, Rachel
- 34-42 Perceived instrumental support and children's health across the early life course
by Turney, Kristin
- 43-51 Social networks of experientially similar others: Formation, activation, and consequences of network ties on the health care experience
by Gage, Elizabeth A.
- 52-59 Parental employment and children's body weight: Mothers, others, and mechanisms
by Ziol-Guest, Kathleen M. & Dunifon, Rachel E. & Kalil, Ariel
- 60-68 Trajectories of growth in body mass index across childhood: Associations with maternal and paternal employment
by Morrissey, Taryn W.
- 69-76 Chaos as a social determinant of child health: Reciprocal associations?
by Kamp Dush, Claire M. & Schmeer, Kammi K. & Taylor, Miles
- 77-86 Turbulent times: Effects of turbulence and violence exposure in adolescence on high school completion, health risk behavior, and mental health in young adulthood
by Boynton-Jarrett, Renée & Hair, Elizabeth & Zuckerman, Barry
- 87-96 Spatial clusters of autism births and diagnoses point to contextual drivers of increased prevalence
by Mazumdar, Soumya & Winter, Alix & Liu, Ka-Yuet & Bearman, Peter
- 97-105 Neighborhood context and racial/ethnic differences in young children's obesity: Structural barriers to interventions
by Kimbro, Rachel Tolbert & Denney, Justin T.
- 106-114 Disentangling neighborhood contextual associations with child body mass index, diet, and physical activity: The role of built, socioeconomic, and social environments
by Carroll-Scott, Amy & Gilstad-Hayden, Kathryn & Rosenthal, Lisa & Peters, Susan M. & McCaslin, Catherine & Joyce, Rebecca & Ickovics, Jeannette R.
- 115-127 A systematic review of studies examining the relationship between reported racism and health and wellbeing for children and young people
by Priest, Naomi & Paradies, Yin & Trenerry, Brigid & Truong, Mandy & Karlsen, Saffron & Kelly, Yvonne
- 128-132 Prenatal attitudes and parity predict selection into a U.S. child health program: A short report
by Martin-Anderson, Sarah
2013, Volume 92, Issue C
- 1-8 Immigrant enclaves and obesity in preschool-aged children in Los Angeles County
by Nobari, Tabashir Z. & Wang, May-Choo & Chaparro, M. Pia & Crespi, Catherine M. & Koleilat, Maria & Whaley, Shannon E.
- 9-21 Conceptualising and measuring the well-being of people with psychosis: Systematic review and narrative synthesis
by Schrank, Beate & Bird, Victoria & Tylee, Andre & Coggins, Tony & Rashid, Tayyab & Slade, Mike
- 22-26 Socioeconomic differences in purchases of more vs. less healthy foods and beverages: Analysis of over 25,000 British households in 2010
by Pechey, Rachel & Jebb, Susan A. & Kelly, Michael P. & Almiron-Roig, Eva & Conde, Susana & Nakamura, Ryota & Shemilt, Ian & Suhrcke, Marc & Marteau, Theresa M.
- 27-34 AIDS treatment and mental health: Evidence from Uganda
by Okeke, Edward N. & Wagner, Glenn J.
- 35-42 Associations of occupational attributes and excessive drinking
by Barnes, Andrew J. & Zimmerman, Frederick J.
- 43-52 “So they believe that if the baby is sick you must give drugs…” The importance of medicines in health-seeking behaviour for childhood illnesses in urban South Africa
by Friend-du Preez, Natalie & Cameron, Noël & Griffiths, Paula
- 53-60 Precursors to overnutrition: The effects of household market food expenditures on measures of body composition among Tsimane' adults in lowland Bolivia
by Rosinger, Asher & Tanner, Susan & Leonard, William R.
- 61-73 Health, policy and geography: Insights from a multi-level modelling approach
by Castelli, Adriana & Jacobs, Rowena & Goddard, Maria & Smith, Peter C.
- 74-82 Realising the transformative potential of healthcare partnerships: Insights from divergent literatures and contrasting cases in high- and low-income country contexts
by Aveling, Emma-Louise & Martin, Graham
- 83-91 Rethinking gender and mental health: A critical analysis of three propositions
by Hill, Terrence D. & Needham, Belinda L.
- 92-104 Estimating a WTP-based value of a QALY: The ‘chained’ approach
by Robinson, Angela & Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte & Bacon, Philomena & Baker, Rachel & Pennington, Mark & Donaldson, Cam
- 105-113 Health consequences of the ‘Great Recession’ on the employed: Evidence from an industrial cohort in aluminum manufacturing
by Modrek, Sepideh & Cullen, Mark R.
- 114-123 Worker health is good for the economy: Union density and psychosocial safety climate as determinants of country differences in worker health and productivity in 31 European countries
by Dollard, Maureen F. & Neser, Daniel Y.
- 124-131 Accounting for fetal death: Vital statistics and the medicalization of pregnancy in the United States
by Fordyce, Lauren
2013, Volume 91, Issue C
- 1-9 Mother's social capital and child health in Indonesia
by Sujarwoto, Sujarwoto & Tampubolon, Gindo
- 10-14 How do you measure trust in the health system? A systematic review of the literature
by Ozawa, Sachiko & Sripad, Pooja
- 15-24 “Safe Going”: The influence of crime rates and perceived crime and safety on walking in deprived neighbourhoods
by Mason, Phil & Kearns, Ade & Livingston, Mark
- 25-31 Absolute and relative family affluence and psychosomatic symptoms in adolescents
by Elgar, Frank J. & De Clercq, Bart & Schnohr, Christina W. & Bird, Phillippa & Pickett, Kate E. & Torsheim, Torbjørn & Hofmann, Felix & Currie, Candace
- 32-38 Does inappropriate selectivity in information use relate to diagnostic errors and patient harm? The diagnosis of patients with dyspnea
by Zwaan, Laura & Thijs, Abel & Wagner, Cordula & Timmermans, Daniëlle R.M.
- 39-47 Perceived organizational justice as a predictor of long-term sickness absence due to diagnosed mental disorders: Results from the prospective longitudinal Finnish Public Sector Study
by Elovainio, Marko & Linna, Anne & Virtanen, Marianna & Oksanen, Tuula & Kivimäki, Mika & Pentti, Jaana & Vahtera, Jussi
- 48-57 The role of social geography on Lady Health Workers' mobility and effectiveness in Pakistan
by Mumtaz, Zubia & Salway, Sarah & Nykiforuk, Candace & Bhatti, Afshan & Ataullahjan, Anushka & Ayyalasomayajula, Bharati
- 58-66 Investigating the relationship between neighborhood poverty and mortality risk: A marginal structural modeling approach
by Do, D. Phuong & Wang, Lu & Elliott, Michael R.
- 67-75 Physical and emotional well-being and the balance of needed and received emotional support: Age differences in a daily diary study
by Wolff, Julia K. & Schmiedek, Florian & Brose, Annette & Lindenberger, Ulman
- 76-83 Criminal victimisation and health: Examining the relation in nine countries of the former Soviet Union
by Stickley, Andrew & Koyanagi, Ai & Roberts, Bayard & Rotman, David & McKee, Martin
- 84-93 A randomized controlled trial of combined exercise and psycho-education for low-SES women: Short- and long-term outcomes in the reduction of stress and depressive symptoms
by van der Waerden, Judith E.B. & Hoefnagels, Cees & Hosman, Clemens M.H. & Souren, Pierre M. & Jansen, Maria W.J.
- 94-100 The high price of debt: Household financial debt and its impact on mental and physical health
by Sweet, Elizabeth & Nandi, Arijit & Adam, Emma K. & McDade, Thomas W.
- 105-109 Using autoethnography to reclaim the ‘place of healing’ in mental health care
by Liggins, J. & Kearns, R.A. & Adams, P.J.
- 110-121 Creation of synthetic homogeneous neighbourhoods using zone design algorithms to explore relationships between asthma and deprivation in Strasbourg, France
by Sabel, C.E. & Kihal, W. & Bard, D. & Weber, C.
- 122-129 Creating ‘therapeutic landscapes’ for mental health carers in inpatient settings: A dynamic perspective on permeability and inclusivity
by Wood, Victoria J. & Curtis, Sarah E. & Gesler, Wil & Spencer, Ian H. & Close, Helen J. & Mason, James & Reilly, Joe G.
- 130-134 Is physical activity in natural environments better for mental health than physical activity in other environments?
by Mitchell, Richard
- 135-140 Woodland as working space: Where is the restorative green idyll?
by Bingley, Amanda
- 141-152 Reprint of: “I'm always entirely happy when I'm here!” Urban blue enhancing human health and well-being in Cologne and Düsseldorf, Germany
by Völker, Sebastian & Kistemann, Thomas
- 153-161 Youth, alcohol and place-based leisure behaviours: A study of two locations in England
by Townshend, Tim G.
- 162-167 The spatial and temporal development of binge drinking in England 2001–2009: An observational study
by Twigg, Liz & Moon, Graham
- 168-177 Neighbourhood deprivation and adolescent self-esteem: Exploration of the ‘socio-economic equalisation in youth’ hypothesis in Britain and Canada
by Fagg, James H. & Curtis, Sarah E. & Cummins, Steven & Stansfeld, Stephen A. & Quesnel-Vallée, Amélie
- 178-185 Seasonal and locational variations in children's play: Implications for wellbeing
by Ergler, Christina R. & Kearns, Robin A. & Witten, Karen
- 186-193 The emotional overlay: Older person and carer perspectives on negotiating aging and care in rural Ontario
by Herron, Rachel V. & Skinner, Mark W.
- 194-201 The weather-stains of care: Interpreting the meaning of bad weather for front-line health care workers in rural long-term care
by Joseph, Gillian M. & Skinner, Mark W. & Yantzi, Nicole M.
- 202-209 Entitlement to concessionary public transport and wellbeing: A qualitative study of young people and older citizens in London, UK
by Jones, Alasdair & Goodman, Anna & Roberts, Helen & Steinbach, Rebecca & Green, Judith
- 210-218 Right to a healthy city? Examining the relationship between urban space and health inequity by Aboriginal youth artist-activists in Winnipeg
by Skinner, Emily & Masuda, Jeffrey R.
- 219-228 Aboriginal urbanization and rights in Canada: Examining implications for health
by Senese, Laura C. & Wilson, Kathi
- 229-237 Defying the odds: A mixed-methods study of health resilience in deprived areas of England
by Cairns-Nagi, Joanne Marie & Bambra, Clare
- 238-245 Deprived yet healthy: Neighbourhood-level resilience in New Zealand
by Pearson, Amber L. & Pearce, Jamie & Kingham, Simon
- 246-255 Expert knowledge sourcing for public health surveillance: National tsetse mapping in Uganda
by Berrang-Ford, Lea & Garton, Kelly
2013, Volume 90, Issue C
- 1-10 Health insurance coverage within sibships: Prevalence of mixed coverage and associations with health care utilization
by Percheski, Christine & Bzostek, Sharon
- 11-23 A spatial analysis of community disadvantage and access to healthcare services in the U.S
by Archibald, Matthew E. & Putnam Rankin, Caddie
- 24-31 Socioeconomic inequalities and mental health problems in children and adolescents: A systematic review
by Reiss, Franziska
- 32-39 How healthcare provider talk with parents of children following severe traumatic brain injury is perceived in early acute care
by Roscigno, Cecelia I. & Savage, Teresa A. & Grant, Gerald & Philipsen, Gerry
- 40-48 Contextual factors and weight change over time: A comparison between U.S. Hispanics and other population sub-groups
by Ullmann, S. Heidi & Goldman, Noreen & Pebley, Anne R.
- 49-55 Parsing the peanut panic: The social life of a contested food allergy epidemic
by Waggoner, Miranda R.
- 56-62 ‘It can do no harm’: Body maintenance and modification in alternative medicine acknowledged as a non risk health regimen
by Pedersen, Inge Kryger
- 63-71 “Your body is your business card”: Bodily capital and health authority in the fitness industry
by Hutson, David J.
2013, Volume 89, Issue C
- 1-7 Estimating the causal effect of alcohol consumption on well-being for a cross-section of 9 former Soviet Union countries
by Mentzakis, Emmanouil & Suhrcke, Marc & Roberts, Bayard & Murphy, Adrianna & McKee, Martin
- 8-15 Predictors of health behaviors after the economic downturn: A longitudinal study
by Macy, Jonathan T. & Chassin, Laurie & Presson, Clark C.
- 16-24 Race, gender, class, sexuality (RGCS) and hypertension
by Veenstra, Gerry
- 25-31 Horizontal equity and efficiency at primary health care facilities in rural Afghanistan: A seemingly unrelated regression approach
by Johns, Benjamin & Steinhardt, Laura & Walker, Damian G. & Peters, David H. & Bishai, David
- 32-38 Racial disparities in travel time to radiotherapy facilities in the Atlanta metropolitan area
by Peipins, Lucy A. & Graham, Shannon & Young, Randall & Lewis, Brian & Flanagan, Barry
- 39-44 The association between relative deprivation and self-rated health, depressive symptoms, and smoking behavior in Taiwan
by Kuo, Chun-Tung & Chiang, Tung-liang
- 45-52 Dividuality, masculine respectability and reputation: How masculinity affects men's uptake of HIV treatment in rural eastern Uganda
by Siu, Godfrey E. & Seeley, Janet & Wight, Daniel
- 53-61 Higher-status occupations and breast cancer: A life-course stress approach
by Pudrovska, Tetyana & Carr, Deborah & McFarland, Michael & Collins, Caitlyn
2013, Volume 88, Issue C
- 1-9 Illicit and prescription drug problems among urban Aboriginal adults in Canada: The role of traditional culture in protection and resilience
by Currie, Cheryl L. & Wild, T. Cameron & Schopflocher, Donald P. & Laing, Lory & Veugelers, Paul
- 10-17 The social and political lives of zoonotic disease models: Narratives, science and policy
by Leach, Melissa & Scoones, Ian
- 18-29 Work-related health risks in Europe: Are older workers more vulnerable?
by Jones, Melanie K. & Latreille, Paul L. & Sloane, Peter J. & Staneva, Anita V.
- 30-38 The importance of children's ADHD for parents' relationship stability and labor supply
by Kvist, Anette Primdal & Nielsen, Helena Skyt & Simonsen, Marianne
- 39-47 Use of hospital and long-term institutional care services in relation to proximity to death among older people in Finland
by Murphy, Michael & Martikainen, Pekka
- 48-55 The impact of a lay counselor led collaborative care intervention for common mental disorders in public and private primary care: A qualitative evaluation nested in the MANAS trial in Goa, India
by Shinde, Sachin & Andrew, Gracy & Bangash, Omer & Cohen, Alex & Kirkwood, Betty & Patel, Vikram
- 56-67 Culture, threat, and mental illness stigma: Identifying culture-specific threat among Chinese-American groups
by Yang, Lawrence H. & Purdie-Vaughns, Valerie & Kotabe, Hiroki & Link, Bruce G. & Saw, Anne & Wong, Gloria & Phelan, Jo C.
- 68-75 Making space for belonging: Critical reflections on the implementation of personalised adult social care under the veil of meaningful inclusion
by Power, Andrew
- 76-82 Ethnic density and area deprivation: Neighbourhood effects on Māori health and racial discrimination in Aotearoa/New Zealand
by Bécares, Laia & Cormack, Donna & Harris, Ricci
- 83-89 The contribution of attenuated selection in utero to small-for-gestational-age (SGA) among term African American male infants
by Goodman, Julia M. & Karasek, Deborah & Anderson, Elizabeth & Catalano, Ralph A.
- 90-97 Health impacts of pedestrian head-loading: A review of the evidence with particular reference to women and children in sub-Saharan Africa
by Porter, Gina & Hampshire, Kate & Dunn, Christine & Hall, Richard & Levesley, Martin & Burton, Kim & Robson, Steve & Abane, Albert & Blell, Mwenza & Panther, Julia
- 98-107 Is wealthier always healthier in poor countries? The health implications of income, inequality, poverty, and literacy in India
by Rajan, Keertichandra & Kennedy, Jonathan & King, Lawrence
- 108-115 Obesity, school obesity prevalence, and adolescent childbearing among U.S. young women
by Kane, Jennifer B. & Frisco, Michelle L.
2013, Volume 87, Issue C
- 1-8 “Eyes that don't see, heart that doesn't feel”: Coping with sex work in intimate relationships and its implications for HIV/STI prevention
by Syvertsen, Jennifer L. & Robertson, Angela M. & Rolón, María Luisa & Palinkas, Lawrence A. & Martinez, Gustavo & Rangel, M. Gudelia & Strathdee, Steffanie A.
- 9-15 Standards and classification: A perspective on the ‘obesity epidemic’
by Nicholls, Stuart G.
- 16-22 How institutional change and individual researchers helped advance clinical guidelines in American health care
by Nigam, Amit
- 23-30 Interactive effects of social support and social conflict on medication adherence in multimorbid older adults
by Warner, Lisa M. & Schüz, Benjamin & Aiken, Leona & Ziegelmann, Jochen P. & Wurm, Susanne & Tesch-Römer, Clemens & Schwarzer, Ralf
- 31-38 The world as the new local clinic: A critical analysis of three discourses of global medical competency
by Martimianakis, Maria Athina (Tina) & Hafferty, Frederic W.
- 39-51 Family structure, victimization, and child mental health in a nationally representative sample
by Turner, Heather A. & Finkelhor, David & Hamby, Sherry L. & Shattuck, Anne
- 52-59 Becoming and remaining community health workers: Perspectives from Ethiopia and Mozambique
by Maes, Kenneth & Kalofonos, Ippolytos
- 60-67 Motivational interviewing within the different stages of change: An analysis of practice nurse-patient consultations aimed at promoting a healthier lifestyle
by Noordman, Janneke & de Vet, Emely & van der Weijden, Trudy & van Dulmen, Sandra
- 68-76 Resisting the colonization of the lifeworld? Immigrant patients' experiences with co-ethnic healthcare workers
by Lo, Ming-Cheng Miriam & Bahar, Roxana
- 77-83 Exploring tuberculosis by types of housing development
by Low, Chien-Tat & Lai, Poh-Chin & Tse, Wing-Sze Cindy & Tsui, Chung-Kan & Lee, Herman & Hui, Pak-Kwan
- 84-92 A new theory-based social classification in Japan and its validation using historically collected information
by Hiyoshi, Ayako & Fukuda, Yoshiharu & Shipley, Martin J. & Bartley, Mel & Brunner, Eric J.
- 93-98 The equalisation hypothesis and changes in geographical inequalities of age based mortality in England, 2002–2004 to 2008–2010
by Green, Mark A.
- 99-107 Combining work and family: Rewards or risks for children's mental health?
by Strazdins, Lyndall & OBrien, Léan V. & Lucas, Nina & Rodgers, Bryan
- 108-115 Associations among environmental supports, physical activity, and blood pressure in African-American adults in the PATH trial
by Coulon, Sandra M. & Wilson, Dawn K. & Egan, Brent M.
- 116-122 Can capabilities be self-reported? A think aloud study
by Al-Janabi, Hareth & Keeley, Thomas & Mitchell, Paul & Coast, Joanna
- 123-131 Racial attitudes, physician–patient talk time ratio, and adherence in racially discordant medical interactions
by Hagiwara, Nao & Penner, Louis A. & Gonzalez, Richard & Eggly, Susan & Dovidio, John F. & Gaertner, Samuel L. & West, Tessa & Albrecht, Terrance L.
- 132-137 Smoking initiation, continuation and prevalence in deprived urban areas compared to non-deprived urban areas in The Netherlands
by Kuipers, Mirte A.G. & Wingen, Marleen & Stronks, Karien & Kunst, Anton E.
- 138-146 “Never mind the logic, give me the numbers”: Former Australian health ministers' perspectives on the social determinants of health
by Baum, Frances E. & Laris, Paul & Fisher, Matthew & Newman, Lareen & MacDougall, Colin
- 147-154 The impact of social context on self-management in women living with HIV
by Webel, Allison R. & Cuca, Yvette & Okonsky, Jennifer G. & Asher, Alice K. & Kaihura, Alphoncina & Salata, Robert A.
- 155-167 “I'm afraid I have bad news for you…” Estimating the impact of different health impairments on subjective well-being
by Binder, Martin & Coad, Alex
- 168-175 The uses of ultrasonography in relation to foetal malformations in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
by Mirlesse, Véronique & Ville, Isabelle
- 185-193 Pathways from parental AIDS to child psychological, educational and sexual risk: Developing an empirically-based interactive theoretical model
by Cluver, Lucie & Orkin, Mark & Boyes, Mark E. & Sherr, Lorraine & Makasi, Daphne & Nikelo, Joy
2013, Volume 86, Issue C
- 1-8 Health consumption as work: The home pregnancy test as a domesticated health tool
by Childerhose, Janet E. & MacDonald, Margaret E.
- 9-16 Strong effects of home-based voluntary HIV counselling and testing on acceptance and equity: A cluster randomised trial in Zambia
by Fylkesnes, Knut & Sandøy, Ingvild Fossgard & Jürgensen, Marte & Chipimo, Peter J. & Mwangala, Sheila & Michelo, Charles
- 17-25 Prevalence and predictors of partner violence against women in the aftermath of war: A survey among couples in Northern Uganda
by Saile, Regina & Neuner, Frank & Ertl, Verena & Catani, Claudia
- 26-34 Does antenatal care matter in the use of skilled birth attendance in rural Africa: A multi-country analysis
by Adjiwanou, Vissého & LeGrand, Thomas
- 35-44 Peer effects in adolescent bodyweight: Evidence from rural China
by Loh, Chung-Ping A. & Li, Qiang
- 45-51 Juggling on a rollercoaster? Gains, loss and uncertainties in IVF patients' accounts of volunteering for a U.K. ‘egg sharing for research’ scheme
by Haimes, Erica
- 52-65 Donor conceived offspring conceive of the donor: The relevance of age, awareness, and family form
by Hertz, Rosanna & Nelson, Margaret K. & Kramer, Wendy
- 66-78 Understanding careseeking for child illness in sub-Saharan Africa: A systematic review and conceptual framework based on qualitative research of household recognition and response to child diarrhoea, pneumonia and malaria
by Colvin, Christopher J. & Smith, Helen J. & Swartz, Alison & Ahs, Jill W. & de Heer, Jodie & Opiyo, Newton & Kim, Julia C. & Marraccini, Toni & George, Asha
- 79-87 Consultation and illness behaviour in response to symptoms: A comparison of models from different disciplinary frameworks and suggestions for future research directions
by Wyke, Sally & Adamson, Joy & Dixon, Diane & Hunt, Kate
- 88-95 Social health insurance without corporate actors: Changes in self-regulation in Germany, Poland and Turkey
by Wendt, Claus & Agartan, Tuba I. & Kaminska, Monika Ewa
- 96-102 Social capital and depressive symptoms: The association of psychosocial and network dimensions of social capital with depressive symptoms in Montreal, Canada
by Bassett, Emma & Moore, Spencer
2013, Volume 85, Issue C
- 1-8 Socioeconomic status, health behavior, and leukocyte telomere length in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2002
by Needham, Belinda L. & Adler, Nancy & Gregorich, Steven & Rehkopf, David & Lin, Jue & Blackburn, Elizabeth H. & Epel, Elissa S.
- 9-17 ‘Faking til you make it’: Social capital accumulation of individuals on low incomes living in contrasting socio-economic neighbourhoods and its implications for health and wellbeing
by Browne-Yung, Kathryn & Ziersch, Anna & Baum, Fran
- 18-26 The relationship between five different measures of structural social capital, medical examination outcomes, and mortality
by Muennig, Peter & Cohen, Alison K. & Palmer, Aileen & Zhu, Wenyi
- 27-31 Cross-sectional study of ethnic differences in the utility of area deprivation measures to target socioeconomically deprived individuals
by Baker, Jessica & Mitchell, Richard & Pell, Jill
- 32-37 Individual-level social capital and self-rated health in Japan: An application of the Resource Generator
by Kobayashi, Tomoko & Kawachi, Ichiro & Iwase, Toshihide & Suzuki, Etsuji & Takao, Soshi
- 38-42 How effective has the essential health package been in improving priority setting in low income countries?
by Kapiriri, Lydia
- 43-49 Effects of neighborhood violence and perceptions of neighborhood safety on depressive symptoms of older adults
by Wilson-Genderson, Maureen & Pruchno, Rachel