Frequency-Domain Test Of Time Reversibility
AbstractWe introduce a frequency-domain test of time reversibility, theREVERSE test. It is based on the bispectrum. We analyticallyestablish the asymptotic distribution of the test and also exploreits finite-sample properties through Monte-Carlo simulation.Following other researchers who demonstrated that the problem ofbusiness-cycle asymmetry can be stated as whether macroeconomicfluctuations are time irreversible, we use the REVERSE test as afrequency-domain test of business-cycle asymmetry. Our empiricalresults show that time irreversibility is the rule rather than theexception for a representative set of macroeconomic time series forfive OECD countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Macroeconomic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 2 (1998)
Issue (Month): 01 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_MDYProvider-Email:email@example.com
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sichel, D.E., 1988.
"Business Cycle Asymmetry: A Deeper Look,"
85, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1.
- Neftci, Salih N, 1984. "Are Economic Time Series Asymmetric over the Business Cycle?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(2), pages 307-28, April.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Are Business Cycles Symmetric?," NBER Working Papers 1444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Falk, Barry L., 1986.
"Further Evidence on the Asymmetric Behavior of Economic Time Series over the Business Cycle,"
Staff General Research Papers
11097, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Falk, Barry, 1986. "Further Evidence on the Asymmetric Behavior of Economic Time Series over the Business Cycle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1096-1109, October.
- Simon M. Potter, 1993.
"A Nonlinear Approach to U.S. GNP,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
693, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ramsey, J.B. & Rothman, P., 1993.
"Time Irreversibility and Business Cycle Asymmetry,"
93-39, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Marc Hallin & Claude Lefèvre & Madan L. Puri, 1988. "On time-reversibility and the uniqueness of moving average representations for non-Gaussian stationary time series," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2017, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Randal Verbrugge Randal Verbrugge, 1997. "Investigating Cyclical Asymmetries," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-10, April.
- Barry E. Jones & Travis D. Nesmith, 1999. "Tests for non-linear dynamics in systems of non-stationary economic time series: the case of short-term US interest rates," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-55, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- McCAUSLAND, William, 2004.
"Time Reversibility of Stationary Regular Finite State Markov Chains,"
Cahiers de recherche
2004-07, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- McCausland, William J., 2007. "Time reversibility of stationary regular finite-state Markov chains," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 303-318, January.
- McCAUSLAND, William J., 2004. "Time Reversibility of Stationary Regular Finite State Markov Chains," Cahiers de recherche 09-2004, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Nesmith Travis D & Jones Barry E, 2008.
"Linear Cointegration of Nonlinear Time Series with an Application to Interest Rate Dynamics,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Barry E. Jones & Travis D. Nesmith, 2006. "Linear cointegration of nonlinear time series with an application to interest rate dynamics," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2007-03, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Theodore Panagiotidis & Gianluigi Pelloni, 2007.
"Non-Linearity In The Canadian And Us Labour Markets: Univariate And Multivariate Evidence From A Battery Of Tests,"
Working Paper Series
06-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- T. Panagiotidis & G. Pelloni, 2004. "Non-Linearity in the Canadian and US Labour Markets: Univariate and Multivariate Evidence from A Battery of Tests," Working Papers 506, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Theodore Panagiotidis & Gianluigi Pelloni, 2005. "Non-Linearity in the Canadian and US Labour Market: Univariate and Multivariate Evidence from a battery of tests," Discussion Paper Series 2005_8, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Aug 2005.
- Amado Peiro, 2004. "Are business cycles asymmetric? Some European evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 335-342.
- Miguel Artiach, 2011. "Second-order moments of frequency asymmetric cycles," Working Papers. Serie AD 2011-27, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Randal J. Verbrugge, 1998. "A cross-country investigation of macroeconomic asymmetries," Macroeconomics 9809017, EconWPA, revised 30 Sep 1998.
- Coakley, Jerry & Fuertes, Ana-Maria, 2006. "Testing for sign and amplitude asymmetries using threshold autoregressions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 623-654, April.
- Beare, Brendan K. & Seo, Juwon, 2012. "Time irreversible copula-based Markov Models," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt31f8500p, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Phillip Wild & John Foster, 2012. "On testing for non-linear and time irreversible probabilistic structure in high frequency ASX financial time series data," Discussion Papers Series 466, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Yi-Ting Chen & Chung-Ming Kuan, 2002. "Time irreversibility and EGARCH effects in US stock index returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 565-578.
- Steven Cook & Alan Speight, 2006. "International Business Cycle Asymmetry and Time Irreversible Nonlinearities," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(10), pages 1051-1065.
- Hinich, Melvin J. & Foster, John & Wild, Phillip, 2006. "Structural change in macroeconomic time series: A complex systems perspective," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 136-150, March.
- Fong, Wai Mun, 2003. "Time reversibility tests of volume-volatility dynamics for stock returns," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 39-45, October.
- Chen, Yi-Ting & Chou, Ray Y. & Kuan, Chung-Ming, 2000. "Testing time reversibility without moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 199-218, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.