Journal of Development Economics
2000, Volume 61, Issue 1
1999, Volume 60, Issue 2
- 271-295 Competition and corruption in an agency relationship
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques & N'Guessan, Tchetche
- 297-316 Multiple equilibria, coordination, and transitional growth
by Karayalcin, Cem & Mitra, Devashish
- 317-341 Testing endogenous growth in South Korea and Taiwan
by Feenstra, Robert C. & Madani, Dorsati & Yang, Tzu-Han & Liang, Chi-Yuan
- 343-380 Strategic policies and growth: an applied model of R&D-driven endogenous growth
by Diao, Xinshen & Roe, Terry & Yeldan, Erinc
- 381-405 A quantitative reassessment of the finance-growth nexus: evidence from a multivariate VAR
by Luintel, Kul B. & Khan, Mosahid
- 407-421 Inertial inflation, indexation and price stickiness: evidence from Brazil
by Durevall, Dick
- 423-438 The ghost of financing gap: testing the growth model used in the international financial institutions
by Easterly, William
- 439-465 Optimal export taxes in a multicountry framework
by Yilmaz, Kamil
- 467-495 The effect of distance and road quality on food collection, marketing margins, and traders' wages: evidence from the former Zaire
by Minten, Bart & Kyle, Steven
- 497-527 Information and the operation of markets: tests based on a general equilibrium model of land leasing in India
by Lanjouw, Jean Olson
- 529-557 Leaders, managers, and the organization of township and village enterprises in China
by Chen, Hongyi & Rozelle, Scott
1999, Volume 60, Issue 1
- 3-25 Group lending under asymmetric information
by Van Tassel, Eric
- 27-50 Group lending, local information and peer selection
by Ghatak, Maitreesh
- 51-77 Outreach, sustainability and leverage in monitored and peer-monitored lending
by Conning, Jonathan
- 79-104 On the design of a credit agreement with peer monitoring
by Armendariz de Aghion, Beatriz
- 105-141 The impact of group lending in Northeast Thailand
by Coleman, Brett E.
- 143-172 Rotating savings and credit associations: the choice between random and bidding allocation of funds
by Kovsted, Jens & Lyk-Jensen, Peter
- 173-194 The economics of rotating savings and credit associations: evidence from the Jamaican 'Partner'
by Handa, Sudhanshu & Kirton, Claremont
- 195-228 The economics of lending with joint liability: theory and practice
by Ghatak, Maitreesh & Guinnane, Timothy W.
- 229-248 The role of subsidies in microfinance: evidence from the Grameen Bank
by Morduch, Jonathan
- 249-269 Peer group micro-lending programs in Canada and the United States
by Conlin, Michael
1999, Volume 59, Issue 2
- 203-232 Foreign aid and population policy: some ethical considerations
by Blackorby, Charles & Bossert, Walter & Donaldson, David
- 233-252 Vertical multinationals and host-country characteristics
by Zhang, Kevin Honglin & Markusen, James R.
- 253-273 Budget institutions and fiscal performance in Latin America
by Alesina, Alberto & Hausmann, Ricardo & Hommes, Rudolf & Stein, Ernesto
- 275-293 Costly intermediation, the big push and the big crash
by Becsi, Zsolt & Wang, Ping & Wynne, Mark A.
- 295-318 Comparing the welfare costs and initial dynamics of alternative inflation stabilization policies
by Uribe, Martin
- 319-336 Building consensus for stabilizations
by Werner, Alejandro M.
- 337-364 Hot money, accounting labels and the permanence of capital flows to developing countries: an empirical investigation
by Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P.
- 365-387 Capital flight under uncertainty about domestic taxation and trade liberalization
by Bhattacharya, Rina
- 389-417 Industrial development, technological change, and long-run growth
by Peretto, Pietro F.
- 419-444 Symbiosis vs. crowding-out: the interaction of formal and informal credit markets in developing countries
by Jain, Sanjay
- 445-461 Daily wages and piece rates in agrarian economies
by Baland, Jean-Marie & Dreze, Jean & Leruth, Luc
- 463-496 Rural industry and labor market integration in eastern China
by Yao, Yang
- 497-525 Gender bias and economic development in an endogenous growth model
by Zhang, Junsen & Zhang, Jie & Li, Tianyou
1999, Volume 59, Issue 1
- 3-42 Does natural resource abundance increase Latin American income inequality?
by Leamer, Edward E. & Maul, Hugo & Rodriguez, Sergio & Schott, Peter K.
- 43-76 The big push, natural resource booms and growth
by Sachs, Jeffrey D. & Warner, Andrew M.
- 77-101 Income distribution, factor endowments, and trade openness
by Spilimbergo, Antonio & Londono, Juan Luis & Szekely, Miguel
- 103-123 Trade liberalization and wage inequality
by Beyer, Harald & Rojas, Patricio & Vergara, Rodrigo
- 125-154 Who gains from trade reform? Some remaining puzzles
by Harrison, Ann & Hanson, Gordon
- 155-192 Taxes and income distribution in Chile: some unpleasant redistributive arithmetic
by Engel, Eduardo M. R. A. & Galetovic, Alexander & Raddatz, Claudio E.
1999, Volume 58, Issue 2
- 277-296 Macroeconomic adjustment with segmented labor markets
by Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua
- 297-318 International risk sharing, learning by doing, and growth
by Feeney, JoAnne
- 319-332 What's in a default? Lending to LDCs in the face of default risk
by Easton, Stephen T. & Rockerbie, Duane W.
- 333-358 Government expenditure and the dynamics of high inflation
by Ruge-Murcia, Francisco J.
- 359-385 Growth versus welfare in a model of nonrival infrastructure
by Dasgupta, Dipankar
- 387-404 Productiveness and welfare implications of public infrastructure: a dynamic two-sector general equilibrium analysis
by Rioja, Felix K.
- 405-427 Manufacturing investment in South Africa: a time-series model
by Fielding, David
- 429-462 State factories in transition--openness, competition, and productivity
by Li, Huagang
- 463-483 Free-riding, carbon treaties, and trade wars: the role of domestic environmental policies
by Abrego, Lisandro & Perroni, Carlo
- 485-512 Guestworker migration, remittances and the extended family: evidence from Pakistan
by Ilahi, Nadeem & Jafarey, Saqib
- 513-531 Estimating the elderly's returns on the farm: evidence from Cote d'Ivoire
by Grimard, Franque & Hamilton, Barton
- 533-552 A laboratory study of voluntary public goods provision with imperfect monitoring and communication
by Cason, Timothy N. & Khan, Feisal U.
- 553-562 Can foreign currency deposits prop up a collapsing exchange-rate regime?
by Mizen, Paul
1999, Volume 58, Issue 1
- 1-24 The hazards of piecemeal reform: british civil courts and the credit market in colonial India
by Kranton, Rachel E. & Swamy, Anand V.
- 25-44 Cost sharing and catch sharing
by Matthiasson, Thorolfur
- 45-60 Share tenancy as strategic delegation
by Ray, Tridip
- 61-81 Are the poor less well insured? Evidence on vulnerability to income risk in rural China
by Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin
- 83-100 Development banking
by de Aghion, Beatriz Armendariz
- 101-122 Factor endowments, nontradables prices and measures of 'openness'
by Falvey, Rod & Gemmell, Norman
- 123-147 Tariff design with varying degrees of commitment
by Terra, Maria Cristina T.
- 149-184 Optimal saving policy for exhaustible resource economies
by Farzin, Y. H.
- 185-218 Agricultural expansion and deforestation: modelling the impact of population, market forces and property rights
by Angelsen, Arild
- 219-230 An analysis of the optimal provision of public infrastructure: a computational model using Mexican data
by Feltenstein, Andrew & Ha, Jiming
- 231-244 Is there an environmental Kuznets curve for deforestation?
by Koop, Gary & Tole, Lise
- 245-254 A note on soil depth, failing markets and agricultural pricing
by Bulte, Erwin & van Soest, Daan
- 255-264 Structural breaks in parallel markets?: the case of Nigeria, 1980-1993
by Ashworth, John & Evans, Lynne & Teriba, Ayo
1998, Volume 57, Issue 2
- 233-257 Inequality and development: the role of dualism
by Bourguignon, Francois & Morrisson, Christian
- 259-287 New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth
by Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn
- 289-317 Changes in the returns to education in Costa Rica
by Funkhouser, Edward
- 319-341 Satiation and underdevelopment
by Funk, Peter
- 343-360 Illegal immigration: a supply side analysis
by Bandyopadhyay, Subhayu & Bandyopadhyay, Sudeshna Champati
- 361-389 The composition of U.S.-East Asia trade and changing comparative advantage
by Carolan, Terrie & Singh, Nirvikar & Talati, Cyrus
- 391-420 Changes in utilization and productivity in a deregulating economy
by Bhalotra, Sonia R.
- 421-442 Joint ventures and technology transfer: the Solomon Islands pole-and-line fishery
by Campbell, H. F. & Hand, A. J.
- 443-455 Financial liberalisation and private investment: evidence from Turkey
by Guncavdi, Oner & Bleaney, Michael & McKay, Andrew
- 457-471 Disequilibrium institutional factors in aggregate money demand: evidence from three economies
by Qin, Duo
- 473-486 Monetary dynamics in Ghana: evidence from cointegration, error correction modelling, and exogeneity
by Ghartey, Edward E.
1998, Volume 57, Issue 1
- 5-44 Saving determinants in Colombia: 1925-1994
by Cardenas, Mauricio & Escobar, Andres
- 45-66 Capital flows and saving in Latin America and Asia: a reinterpretation
by Reinhart, Carmen M. & Talvi, Ernesto
- 67-95 The political economy of public savings and the role of capital mobility
by Aizenman, Joshua & Powell, Andrew
- 97-116 Domestic savings, public savings and expenditures on consumer durable goods in Argentina
by Lopez Murphy, Ricardo & Navajas, Fernando
- 117-146 Discount rate heterogeneity and social security reform
by Samwick, Andrew A.
- 147-184 Argentina and the world capital market: saving, investment, and international capital mobility in the twentieth century
by Taylor, Alan M.
- 185-199 Why aren't savings rates in Latin America procyclical?
by Lane, Philip R. & Tornell, Aaron
- 201-228 Savings in Chile. What went right?
by Morande, Felipe G.
1998, Volume 56, Issue 2
- 239-264 Land allocation under dual individual-collective use in Mexico
by McCarthy, Nancy & de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth
- 265-280 Formal-informal sector interaction in rural credit markets
by Bose, Pinaki
- 281-305 The determinants of child mortality in the Philippines: estimation of a structural model
by Guilkey, David K. & Riphahn, Regina T.
- 307-335 Returns to education under collective and household farming in China
by Li, Tianyou & Zhang, Junsen
- 337-365 Economic analysis of foreign education and students abroad
by Kim, Jinyoung
- 367-392 Technology diffusion and international income convergence
by Detragiache, Enrica
- 393-410 The Uruguay Round and welfare in some distorted agricultural economies
by Anderson, James E.
- 411-431 Spatial integration, transport costs, and the response of local prices to policy changes in Ghana
by Badiane, Ousmane & Shively, Gerald E.
- 433-445 Emigration and welfare in an economy with foreign capital
by Djajic, Slobodan
- 447-462 Trade liberalization, market discipline and productivity growth: new evidence from India
by Krishna, Pravin & Mitra, Devashish
1998, Volume 56, Issue 1
- 1-26 Renegotiation-proof tenurial contracts as screening mechanisms
by Muthoo, Abhinay
- 27-50 Migration, self-selection and earnings in Philippine rural communities
by Lanzona, Leonardo A.
- 51-79 Returns to scale in a highly regulated economy: evidence from Indian firms
by Fikkert, Brian & Hasan, Rana
- 81-96 Output gains from economic stabilization
by Gylfason, Thorvaldur
- 97-114 The demand for imports in Korea: a production analysis approach
by Truett, Lila J. & Truett, Dale B.
- 115-140 Public sector layoffs, credibility and the dynamics of inflation in a simple macromodel
by Buffie, Edward F.
- 141-157 Domestic and foreign price links in an aggregate supply framework: The case of Greece
by Moschos, D. & Stournaras, Y.
- 159-180 Political stabilization cycles in high-inflation economies
by Stein, Ernesto H. & Streb, Jorge M.
- 181-206 Are some groups more vulnerable to macroeconomic shocks than others? Hypothesis tests based on panel data from Peru
by Glewwe, Paul & Hall, Gillette
- 207-216 The role of ROSCAs: lumpy durables or event insurance?
by Calomiris, Charles W. & Rajaraman, Indira
- 217-228 Export-share requirements, trade balances and welfare: a two-period analysis
by Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H.
1998, Volume 55, Issue 2
- 273-305 Drought and saving in West Africa: are livestock a buffer stock?
by Fafchamps, Marcel & Udry, Christopher & Czukas, Katherine
- 307-331 Migration, remittances, and inequality: estimating the net effects of migration on income distribution
by Barham, Bradford & Boucher, Stephen
- 333-352 Output response to prices and public investment in agriculture: Indonesian food crops
by Rosegrant, Mark W. & Kasryno, Faisal & Perez, Nicostrato D.
- 353-367 Increasing returns, human capital, and the Kuznets curve
by Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B.
- 369-398 International technology transfer and the technology gap
by Glass, Amy Jocelyn & Saggi, Kamal
- 399-420 Empirical investigation of one OPEC country's successful non-oil export performance
by Rodgers, Yana van der Meulen
- 421-437 Exchange rate determination and inflation in Southeast Asian countries
by Alba, Joseph D. & Papell, David H.
- 439-463 Equity and bond flows to Latin America and Asia: the role of global and country factors
by Chuhan, Punam & Claessens, Stijn & Mamingi, Nlandu
- 465-481 Investment in education: do economic volatility and credit constraints matter?
by Flug, Karnit & Spilimbergo, Antonio & Wachtenheim, Erik
- 485-518 Moneylenders and bankers: price-increasing subsidies in a monopolistically competitive market
by Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E.
- 519-525 Long-term growth in Tunisia : C. Morrison and B. Talbi, eds. (OECD, Paris, 1996, pp. 141)
by Nugent, Jeffrey B.
- 527-530 Economies in transition: Comparing Asia and Europe : Wing Thye Woo, S. Parker and J. D. Sachs, eds. (MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1997), pp. xiv + 412, US$22.50
by Leitzel, Jim
1998, Volume 55, Issue 1
- 1-42 Wealth, risk and activity choice: cattle in Western Tanzania
by Dercon, Stefan
- 43-56 Missing risk sharing markets and the benefits of cross-hedging in developing countries
by Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E.
- 57-80 Motives for private transfers over the life cycle: An analytical framework and evidence for Peru
by Cox, Donald & Eser, Zekeriya & Jimenez, Emmanuel
- 81-113 Premiums to employment in larger establishments: evidence from Peru
by Schaffner, Julie Anderson
- 115-131 The importance of firm wage differentials in explaining hourly earnings variation in the large-scale sector of Guatemala
by Funkhouser, Edward
- 133-153 International intellectual property rights protection and the rate of product innovation
by Lai, Edwin L. -C.
- 155-171 Convergence clubs and subsistence economies
by Ben-David, Dan
- 173-190 Pooling sovereign risks: The case of environmental treaties and international debt
by Mohr, Ernst & Thomas, Jonathan P.
- 191-214 High real interest rates in the aftermath of disinflation: is it a lack of credibility?
by Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Leiderman, Leonardo
- 215-232 Tax evasion and the optimal inflation tax
by Nicolini, Juan Pablo
- 233-247 The political economy of underinvestment in agriculture
by Baland, Jean-Marie & Kotwal, Ashok
- 249-255 Trade policy and product variety: when is a VER superior to a tariff?
by Collie, David R. & Su, Yu-Tien
1997, Volume 54, Issue 2
- 217-234 Widowhood and poverty in rural India: Some inferences from household survey data
by Dreze, Jean & Srinivasan, P. V.
- 235-260 Rural labor and credit markets
by Caselli, Francesco
- 261-284 Is growth a dirty word? Pollution, abatement and endogenous growth
by Byrne, Margaret M.
- 285-305 Developing countries and environmental protection: the effects of budget balance and pollution ceiling constraints
by Batabyal, Amitrajeet A.
- 307-322 Shock versus gradualism in models of rational expectations: the case of trade liberalization
by Auernheimer, Leonardo & George, Susan Mary
- 323-356 Terms-of-trade uncertainty and economic growth
by Mendoza, Enrique G.
- 357-385 A dynamic general equilibrium model of industrialization when manufactures are unnecessary
by Love, David R. F.
- 387-404 Explaining the duration of exchange-rate pegs
by Klein, Michael W. & Marion, Nancy P.
- 405-436 Economic determinants of IMF financial arrangements
by Knight, Malcolm & Santaella, Julio A.
- 437-453 Stochastic technologies and the adoption decision
by Hennessy, David A.
- 455-467 Soil conservation as an investment in land
by Grepperud, S.
- 469-478 Nutritional efficiency wages: a policy framework
by Bose, Gautam
- 479-491 On the tying of aid to tariff reform
by Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos-Moller, Pascalis
- 493-518 Erratum to "Balanced and unbalanced growth" [Journal of Development Economics 53(1997) 41-66]
by Rauch, James E.
1997, Volume 54, Issue 1
- 1-3 Introduction
by Edwards, Sebastian
- 5-25 When are fixed exchange rates really fixed?
by Velasco, Andres
- 27-57 On the effectiveness of capital controls: The experience of Colombia during the 1990s
by Cardenas, Mauricio & Barrera, Felipe
- 59-75 Exchange rate-based stabilization with endogenous fiscal response
by Talvi, Ernesto
- 77-100 Equilibrium real exchange rate, volatility, and stabilization
by Gonzaga, Gustavo M. & Terra, Maria Cristina T.
- 101-122 On the credibility of alternative exchange rate regimes
by Canavan, Chris & Tommasi, Mariano
- 123-147 The size and timing of devaluations in capital-controlled economies
by Flood, Robert & Marion, Nancy
- 149-168 Financial markets and inflation under imperfect information
by De Gregorio, Jose & Sturzenegger, Federico
- 169-187 Free trade agreements versus customs unions
by Krueger, Anne O.
- 207-215 Review of tax policy and planning in developing countries : A. Bagchi and N. Stern, eds. (Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1994)
by Wildasin, David E.
1997, Volume 53, Issue 2
- 229-249 The role of rents to human capital in economic development
by Saint-Paul, Gilles
- 251-286 Wage and labor supply effects of illness in Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana: instrumental variable estimates for days disabled
by Schultz, T. Paul & Tansel, Aysit
- 287-303 Can a brain drain be good for growth in the source economy?
by Mountford, Andrew
- 305-338 Government intervention, efficiency wages, and the employer size wage effect in Zimbabwe
by Velenchik, Ann D.
- 339-371 An empirical investigation of rationing constraints in rural credit markets in India
by Kochar, Anjini
- 373-390 LDC agriculture: Nonparametric Malmquist productivity indexes
by Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K.
- 391-422 Household consumption smoothing through ethnic ties: evidence from Cote d'Ivoire
by Grimard, Franque
- 423-445 Is demand for polluting goods manageable? An econometric study of car ownership and use in Mexico
by Eskeland, Gunnar S. & Feyzioglu, Tarhan N.
- 447-470 Is there persistence in the growth of manufactured exports? Evidence from newly industrializing countries
by Mody, Ashoka & Yilmaz, Kamil
- 471-474 The role of the state in economic change : Ha-Joon Chang and Robert Rowthorn (Eds), The Role of the State in Economic Change (Clarendon Press, Oxford) pp. xiii + 302, [UK pound]40.00
by Little, Ian
- 475-477 Adjustment in Oil-importing developing countries, a comparative economic analysis : Pradeep K. Mitra, Cambridge University, Press, Cambridge, 1994, pp. xiv + 321
by Stewart, Frances
- 479-484 India's Political Economy: Governance and Reform : by John P. Lewis, Oxford University Press, Delhi, 1995, 401 pp., price not stated, ISBN 0 19 563515 9
by Mitra, Subrata Kumar
- 485-488 Resources, deprivation and poverty : by Brian Nolan and Christopher T. Whelan, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1996, 261 p, [UK pound]35.00
by Margo, Robert A.
- 489-492 India: The future of economic reform : Robert Cassen and Vijay Joshi (Eds.), Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 1995, 374 pp., $29.95, ISBN 0-19-563719-4
by Rajaraman, Indira
1997, Volume 53, Issue 1
- 1-15 Quality and trade
by Murphy, Kevin M. & Shleifer, Andrei
- 17-39 Environmental externalities in traditional agriculture and the impact of trade liberalization: the case of Ghana
by Lopez, Ramon
- 41-66 Balanced and unbalanced growth
by Rauch, James E.
- 67-83 Developing countries' imports of technology, in-house technological capabilities and efforts: an analysis of the Indian experience
by Katrak, Homi
- 85-98 A simple test of the nutrition-based efficiency wage model
by Swamy, Anand V.
- 99-114 Parental choice of human capital investment
by Glomm, Gerhard
- 115-137 Research, productivity, and output growth in Chinese agriculture
by Fan, Shenggan & Pardey, Philip G.
- 139-155 Testing the long-run neutrality of money in a developing economy: the case of India
by Moosa, Imad A.
- 157-167 Duration of firms in an infant industry: the case of Indian computer hardware
by Das, Sanghamitra & Srinivasan, Krishna
- 169-183 Measuring protection: a cautionary tale
by O'Rourke, Kevin H.
- 185-195 The efficiency wage given long-run employment and concave labor constraint
by Banerji, Sanjay & Gupta, Manas Ranjan
- 197-210 Coordination problems in local-level resource management
by Baland, Jean-Marie & Platteau, Jean-Philippe
- 211-218 India: Macroeconomics and political economy 1964-1991 : Vijay Joshi and I.M.D. Little (Eds.), World Bank, Washington, D.C., 1994, pbk $25, ISBN 0-8213-2652-X and Oxford University Press, Delhi, 1994, hbk Rs. 325, pp xviii + 397, ISBN 0-19 563649-X
by Majumdar, Mukul
- 219-227 Review of Tax Policy and Planning in Developing Countries : A. Bagchi and N. Stern (Eds.), Oxford University Press, Delhi, 1994
by Wildasin, David E.
1997, Volume 52, Issue 2
- 259-277 Investment in new activities and the welfare cost of uncertainty
by Aizenman, Joshua
- 279-294 Welfare effects of liberalization reforms with distortions in financial and labor markets
by Battle, Ann Marie
- 295-316 Return migration, uncertainty and precautionary savings
by Dustmann, Christian
- 317-330 Government spending, taxation of interest, and private saving: An empirical analysis using Greek aggregate data
by Hatzinikolaou, Dimitris
- 331-353 The effect of scale on the response to reform by Chinese state-owned construction units
by Parker, Elliott
- 355-374 Imputing license prices: limitations of a cost-based approach
by Krishna, Kala & Martin, Will & Tan, Ling Hui
- 375-391 Export diversification and structural dynamics in the growth process: The case of Chile
by Amin Gutierrez de Pineres, Sheila & Ferrantino, Michael
- 393-407 Limited liability, moral hazard and share tenancy
by Sengupta, Kunal
- 409-428 Informal sector and informal capital market in a small open less-developed economy
by Gupta, Manash Ranjan
- 429-462 Moneylenders and bankers: price-increasing subsidies in a monopolistically competitive market
by Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E.
- 463-481 The monetary approach to analysing floating exchange rate behaviour in developing countries: Evidence from sub-Saharan African countries, 1986-1992
by Odedokun, M. O.
1997, Volume 52, Issue 1
- 1-30 Kinship ties, social networks, and segmented labor markets: evidence from the construction sector in Egypt
by Assaad, Ragui
- 31-64 Labor market adjustment to political conflict Changes in the labor market in El Salvador during the 1980s
by Funkhouser, Edward
- 65-82 The environment and welfare implications of trade and tax policy
by Lee, Hiro & Roland-Holst, David
- 83-119 Domestic constraints on export-led growth: a case-study of India
by Storm, Servaas
- 121-137 Adjustment, trade policy and investment slumps: evidence from Africa
by Fielding, David