Limits to Arbitrage when Market Participation Is Restricted
There is an extensive literature claiming that it is often difficult to make use of arbitrage opportunities in nancial markets. This paper provides a new reason why existing arbitrage opportunities might not be seized. We consider a world with short-lived securities, no short-selling constraints and no transaction costs. We show that to exploit all existing arbitrage opportunities, traders should pay attention to all nancial markets simultaneously. It gives a general result stating that failure to do so will leave some arbitrage oppor- tunies unexploited with probability one.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basak, Suleyman & Croitoru, Benjamin, 2000.
"Equilibrium Mispricing in a Capital Market with Portfolio Constraints,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(3), pages 715-748.
- Suleyman Basak & Benjamin Croitoru, "undated". "Equilibrium Mispricing in a Capital Market with Portfolio Constraints," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 17-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 2003. "The Decentralization of Information Processing in the Presence of Interactions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(3), pages 667-695.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 2003. "The decentralization of information processing in the presence of interactions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 452, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Shleifer, Andrei, 2000. "Inefficient Markets: An Introduction to Behavioral Finance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292272, April.
- Radner, Roy & Rothschild, Michael, 1975. "On the allocation of effort," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 358-376, June.
- Polemarchakis, H. M. & Siconolfi, P., 1997. "Generic existence of competitive equilibria with restricted participation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 289-311, October.
- Polemarchakis, H. & Siconolfi, P., "undated". "Generic existence of competitive equilibria with restricted participation," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1282, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Timothy van Zandt, 1999. "Real-Time Decentralized Information Processing as a Model of Organizations with Boundedly Rational Agents," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(3), pages 633-658. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)