Taxation and market power
We analyze the incidence and welfare effects of unit sales taxes in experimental monopoly and Bertrand markets. We find, in line with economic theory, that firms with no market power are able to shift a high share of a tax burden on to consumers, independent of whether buyers are automated or human players. In monopoly markets, a monopolist bears a large share of the burden of a tax increase. With human buyers, however, this share is smaller than with automated buyers as the presence of human buyers constrains the pricing behavior of a monopolist.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 0
Fax: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 684
Web page: http://www.wzb.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burkhard Hehenkamp & Wolfgang Leininger, 1999. "A note on evolutionary stability of Bertrand equilibrium," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 367-371.
- Poterba, James M., 1996. "Retail Price Reactions to Changes in State and Local Sales Taxes," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(2), pages 165-76, June.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Gneezy, Uri, 2000.
"Price competition and market concentration: an experimental study,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 7-22, January.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Gneezy, Uri, 1999. "Price Competition and Market Concentration: An experimental Study," Research Papers in Economics 1999:4, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Gneezy, Uri, 1998. "Price Competition and Market Concentration: An Experimental Study," Working Paper Series 1998:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Dufwenberg, M. & Gneezy, U., 1998. "Price Competition and Market COncentration: An Experimental Study," Papers 1998-08, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Timothy J. Besley & Harvey S. Rosen, 1998.
"Sales Taxes and Prices: An Empirical Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
6667, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Robert Tyran & Dirk Engelmann, 2005.
"To Buy or Not to Buy? An Experimental Study of Consumer Boycotts in Retail Markets,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(285), pages 1-16, 02.
- Jean-Robert Tyran & Dirk Engelmann, 2002. "To Buy or Not to Buy? An Experimental Study of Consumer Boycotts in Retail Markets," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2002 2002-13, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Bradley J. Ruffle, 2000. "Some factors affecting demand withholding in posted-offer markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 529-544.
- Roger B. Myerson & Mark A. Satterthwaite, 1981.
"Efficient Mechanisms for Bilateral Trading,"
469S, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Borck, R. & Engelmann, D. & Müller, W. & Normann, H.T., 2002. "Tax liability side equivalence in an experimental posted offer market," Other publications TiSEM bac0e339-660b-4215-99d4-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Lévy-Garboua, Louis & Masclet, David & Montmarquette, Claude, 2009.
"A behavioral Laffer curve: Emergence of a social norm of fairness in a real effort experiment,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 147-161, April.
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & David Masclet & Claude Montmarquette, 2008. "A Behavioral Laffer Curve: Emergence of a Social Norm of Fairness in a Real Effort Experiment," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00340459, HAL.
- Borck, Rainald & Engelmann, Dirk & Müller, Wieland & Normann, Hans-Theo, 2000.
"Tax liability side equivalence in experimental posted-offer markets,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2000,8, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Rainald Borck & Dirk Engelmann & Wieland Müller & Hans-Theo Normann, 2002. "Tax Liability-Side Equivalence in Experimental Posted-Offer Markets," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 672-682, January.
- Chouinard, Hayley & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 2003.
"Incidence of Federal and State Gasoline Taxes,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt5q74052d, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Ortona, Guido & Ottone, Stefania & Ponzano, Ferruccio & Scacciati, Francesco, 2008.
"Labour supply in presence of taxation financing public services. An experimental approach,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 619-631, November.
- Ortona, Guido & Ottone, Stefania & Ponzano, Ferruccio & Scacciati, Francesco, 2006. "Labour supply in presence of taxation financing public services. An experimental approach," POLIS Working Papers 71, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Lanot, Gauthier, 2003. "Measuring tax incidence: an application to mortgage provision in the UK," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(7-8), pages 1747-1778, August.
- Greiner, Ben, 2004. "An Online Recruitment System for Economic Experiments," MPRA Paper 13513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jim Engle-Warnick & Bradley Ruffle, 2006. "Buyer Concentration As A Source Of Countervailing Power: Evidence From Experimental Posted-Offer Markets," Departmental Working Papers 2006-12, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Brown Kruse, Jamie, 2008. "Simulated and Real Buyers in Posted Offer Markets," Handbook of Experimental Economics Results, Elsevier.
- Donald S. Kenkel, 2005. "Are Alcohol Tax Hikes Fully Passed Through to Prices? Evidence from Alaska," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 273-277, May.
- Quirmbach, Herman & Swenson, Charles & Vines, Cynthia, 1996. "An Experimental Examination of General Equilibrium Tax Incidence," Staff General Research Papers 5204, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Gneezy, Uri, 2002. "Information disclosure in auctions: an experiment," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 431-444, August.
- Urs Fischbacher, 2007. "z-Tree: Zurich toolbox for ready-made economic experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 171-178, June.
- Jean-Robert Tyran & Arno Riedl, 2003.
"Tax Liability Side Equivalence in Gift-Exchange Labor Markets,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2003
2003-15, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Riedl, Arno & Tyran, Jean-Robert, 2005. "Tax liability side equivalence in gift-exchange labor markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2369-2382, December.
- Stern, Nicholas, 1987. "The effects of taxation, price control and government contracts in oligopoly and monopolistic competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 133-158, March.
- Rudolf Kerschbamer & Georg Kirchsteiger, 2000.
"Theoretically robust but empirically invalid? An experimental investigation into tax equivalence,"
Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 719-734.
- Georg Kirchsteiger & Rudolf Kerschbamer, 2000. "Theoretically robust but empirically invalid: an experimental investigation into tax equivalence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/5903, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Rudolf KERSCHBAMER & Georg KIRCHSTEIGER, 1997. "Theoretically Robust But Empirically Invalid? An Experimental Investigation into Tax Equivalence," Vienna Economics Papers vie9704, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521497695 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert Bloomfield & Maureen O'Hara & Gideon Saar, 2009. "How Noise Trading Affects Markets: An Experimental Analysis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(6), pages 2275-2302, June.
- Quirmbach, Herman C. & Swenson, Charles W. & Vines, Cynthia C., 1996. "An experimental examination of general equilibrium tax incidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 337-358, September.
- Ruffle, Bradley J., 2005. "Tax and subsidy incidence equivalence theories: experimental evidence from competitive markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(8), pages 1519-1542, August.
- Sutter, Matthias & Weck-Hannemann, Hannelore, 2003. " Taxation and the Veil of Ignorance--A Real Effort Experiment on the Laffer Curve," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 115(1-2), pages 217-40, April.
- Sillamaa, M. A., 1999. "How work effort responds to wage taxation: An experimental test of a zero top marginal tax rate," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 125-134, July.
- Stephen F. Hamilton, 2009. "Excise Taxes with Multiproduct Transactions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 458-71, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:wzbfff:spii201007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.