Specialisation and employment development in Germany: Analysis at regional level
While the number of employees subject to social insurance contributions in Germany remained nearly constant from 1998 to 2007, there have been strong differences in regional and sectoral growth rates. The aim of this paper is to analyse the impact of the sector structure of a region on employment growth in Germany during this period. It will provide new findings about the impact of sector specific localisation effects on employment growth. If specialisation affects regional employment growth it is expected to be important for regional and labour market policies. Moreover, the paper deals with the question weather the sectoral structure of the regions fosters convergence or divergence, i.e. increasing specialisation of the regions. The empirical results show that the economic structures in Germany slowly converge.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 0
Fax: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 776
Web page: http://www.hwwi.org/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Blien, Uwe & Wolf, Katja, 2002.
"Regional development of employment in eastern Germany. An analysis with an econometric analogue to shift-share techniques,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa02p263, European Regional Science Association.
- Uwe Blien & Katja Wolf, 2002. "Regional development of employment in eastern Germany: an analysis with an econometric analogue to shift-share techniques," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 81(3), pages 391-414.
- Julia Kowalewski & Silvia Stiller, 2009. "Strukturwandel im deutschen Verarbeitenden Gewerbe," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer, vol. 89(8), pages 548-555, August.
- Jens Suedekum & Uwe Blien, 2005.
"Local Economic Structure and Industry Development in Germany, 1993-2001,"
AccessEcon, vol. 15(17), pages 1-8.
- Blien, Uwe & Suedekum, Jens, 2005. "Local economic structure and industry development in Germany, 1993-2001," IAB Discussion Paper 200501, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Blien, Uwe & Suedekum, Jens, 2004. "Local Economic Structure and Industry Development in Germany, 1993-2001," IZA Discussion Papers 1333, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2000. "Räumliche Wachstumszusammenhänge - empirische Befunde für Deutschland," HWWA Discussion Papers 84, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Lucas Bretschger, 1999. "original: Knowledge diffusion and the development of regionsKnowledge diffusion and the development of regions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 251-268.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2005:i:17:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hwwirp:1-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.