Wages and Employment Growth: Disaggregated Evidence for West Germany
We address the effects of wages on employment growth on the basis of a theoretical model from which cost and demand effects can be derived. In the empirical analysis we take a highly disaggregated perspective and apply a newly developed shift-share regression technique on an exhaustive and very accurate data set for West Germany. The regression shows that the impact of regional wages on employment growth is significantly negative. There is some variation of this effect across sectors, but in no case we find support for the claim that an exogenous wage increase leads to higher employment growth.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as 'Stimulating employment growth with higher wages? A new approach to address an old controversy' in: Kyklos, 2007, 60 (3), 441-467|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krieger-Boden, Christiane, 2000.
"Globalization, integration and regional specialization,"
Kiel Working Papers
1009, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Christiane Krieger-Boden, 2000. "Globalization, Integration and Regional Specialization," Kiel Working Papers 1009, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2001. "On Interregional Price Differentials," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 52(1), pages 104-115.
- Blien, Uwe & Wolf, Katja, 2002.
"Regional development of employment in eastern Germany. An analysis with an econometric analogue to shift-share techniques,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa02p263, European Regional Science Association.
- Uwe Blien & Katja Wolf, 2002. "Regional development of employment in eastern Germany: an analysis with an econometric analogue to shift-share techniques," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 81(3), pages 391-414.
- Ron Martin & Peter Tyler, 2000. "Regional Employment Evolutions in the European Union: A Preliminary Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(7), pages 601-616, October.
- Glaeser, Edward L & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1126-52, December.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992. "Growth in Cities," Scholarly Articles 3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991. "Growth in Cities," NBER Working Papers 3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio, 1995.
"Regional labor market dynamics in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1627-1655, December.
- Jens Suedekum, 2004. "Selective migration, union wage setting and unemployment disparities in West Germany," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 33-48.
- Thórarinn G. Pétursson & Torsten Sløk, 2001. "Wage formation and employment in a cointegrated VAR model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(2), pages 2.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- Jürgen Jerger & Oliver Landmann, 2002. "Lohnpolitik und Beschäftigung - Debatte ohne Ende?," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(2), pages 207-224, 05.
- J¸rgen Jerger & Jochen Michaelis, 2003. "Wage Hikes as Supply and Demand Shock," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 434-457, November.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 2001. "Increasing Returns versus National Product Differentiation as an Explanation for the Pattern of U.S.-Canada Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 858-876, September.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004.
"Non-Europe : the magnitude and causes of market fragmentation in the EU,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
bla99004a, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2000. "Non-Europe: The magnitude and causes of market fragmentation in the EU," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 136(2), pages 284-314, June.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2000. "Non-Europe : The Magnitude and Causes of Market Fragmentation in the EU," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00267441, HAL.
- Maddison, Angus, 1987. "Growth and Slowdown in Advanced Capitalist Economies: Techniques of Quantitative Assessment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 649-98, June.
- Kurt Geppert, 1996. "Zur wirtschaftlichen Entwicklung in westdeutschen Ballungsräumen: Großstädte trotz ungebrochener Wirtschaftskraft in finanziellen Problemen," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 63(42), pages 663-669.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.