The political Kuznets curve for Russia: Income inequality, rent seeking regional elites and empirical determinants of protests during 2011/2012
The goal of this paper is to apply the theory of the political Kuznets curve to Russia and reveal the key determinants of the probability of recent protests during 2011-2012 in the Russian regions. We apply the political Kuznets curve in the time and spatial dimensions, and find mixed evidence: throughout time, we observe an almost linear and positive relation between income and income distribution, whereas in the spatial dimension there exists an evidence of a concave curve. Empirical investigation of the role of income inequality using the latent variable framework allows us to outmanoeuvre certain measurement issues and state that conventional measures of income inequality, such as the Gini coefficient, may not be able to predict protests. Instead, we use the relation of the governors' family income to the average family income in the region, a proxy for rent-seeking of regional elites, which turns out to be a positive, significant and robust determinant of the protests. Applying additional controls ensures the robustness of the results and highlights the fact that democracy score and the economic factors are also significant. Mapping the distribution of the protests provides information on the clustering effect.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.uni-hohenheim.de/wi-theorie/globalisierung/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander Libman & Vladimir Kozlov & André Schultz, 2012.
"Roving Bandits in Action: Outside Option and Governmental Predation in Autocracies,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(4), pages 526-562, November.
- Libman, Alexander & Kozlov, Vladimir & Schultz, André, 2012. "Roving bandits in action: Outside option and governmental predation in autocracies," Frankfurt School - Working Paper Series 190, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management.
- De Rosa, Donato & Iootty, Mariana, 2012. "Are natural resources cursed ? an investigation of the dynamic effects of resource dependence on institutional quality," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6151, The World Bank.
- Ivan Savin & Peter Winker, 2012.
"Heuristic Optimization Methods for Dynamic Panel Data Model Selection: Application on the Russian Innovative Performance,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 337-363, April.
- Ivan Savin & Peter Winker, 2010. "Heuristic Optimization Methods for Dynamic Panel Data Model Selection. Application on the Russian Innovative Performance," Working Papers 027, COMISEF.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2010.
"Methodologies of Analyzing Inter-Regional Income Inequality and Their Applications to Russia,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp984, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2010. "Methodologies of Analyzing Inter-Regional Income Inequality and Their Applications to Russia," MPRA Paper 66824, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Konstantin Kholodilin & Alexei Oshchepkov & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2009.
"The Russian regional convergence process: Where does it go?,"
KOF Working papers
09-216, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Aleksey Oshchepkov & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2009. "The Russian Regional Convergence Process: Where Does It Go?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 861, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Acemoglu,Daron & Robinson,James A., 2009.
"Economic Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521671422.
- Alexander Libman, 2012. "Democracy, size of bureaucracy, and economic growth: evidence from Russian regions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 1321-1352, December.
- Anthony Downs, 1957. "An Economic Theory of Political Action in a Democracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 135.
- Dobler, Constanze & Hagemann, Harald, 2011. "Economic growth in the post-socialist Russian Federation after 1991: The role of Institutions," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 34/2011, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
- Berkowitz, Daniel & DeJong, David N., 2003.
"Policy reform and growth in post-Soviet Russia,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 337-352, April.
- Sergey Drobyshevsky & Oleg Lugovoy & Ekaterina Astafieva & Anna Kozlovskaya & Pavel Trunin & Lew Lederman, 2005. "Factors of Economic Growth in Russia’s Regions," Published Papers 121, Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy, revised 2012.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. " Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- Christoph Luelfesmann, 2007. "Dual Provision of Public Policies in Democracy," Discussion Papers dp07-20, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Klick Jonathan, 2005. "Limited Autocracy," Review of Law & Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(2), pages 293-304, September.
- Oleg Lugovoy & Vladimir V. Dashkeyev & Ilya Mazaev & Denis Fomchenko & Albert Hecht, 2007. "Analysis of Economic Growth in Regions: Geographical and Institutional Aspect," Published Papers 5, Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy, revised 2007.
- Francesco Scervini, 2012. "Empirics of the median voter: democracy, redistribution and the role of the middle class," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 529-550, December.
- Sergei Guriev & Andrei Rachinsky, 2005.
"The Role of Oligarchs in Russian Capitalism,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 131-150, Winter.
- Holwegler, Bernhard & Trautwein, Hans-Michael, 1998. "Beschäftigungswirkungen der Internationalisierung - Eine Studie aus- und einfließender Direktinvestitionen der Metall- und Elektroindustrie im Raum Stuttgart," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 1/1998, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
- Daniel Berkowitz & David N. DeJong, 2005.
"Entrepreneurship and Post-socialist Growth,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(1), pages 25-46, 02.
- Henry Tam, 2008. "An economic or political Kuznets curve?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 367-389, March.
- Martin C. McGuire & Mancur Olson Jr., 1996. "The Economics of Autocracy and Majority Rule: The Invisible Hand and the Use of Force," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 72-96, March.
- Kufenko, Vadim, 2012. "Empirical analysis of regional economic performance in Russia: Human capital perspective," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 38/2012, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hohpro:392013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.