Modern society is a network society permeated by information technology (IT). As a result of innovations in IT, enormous amounts of information can be communicated to a larger number of recipients faster than ever before. The evolution of networks is heavily influenced by the extensive use of IT, which has enabled co-evolving advanced quantitative and qualitative forms of networking. Although several networks have been formed with the aim to reduce or deal with uncertainty through faster and broader access to information, it is in fact IT that has created new kinds of uncertainty. For instance, although digital information integration in supply chains has made production planning more robust, it has at the same time intensified mutual dependencies, thereby actually increasing the level of uncertainty. The aim of this working paper is to investigate the aspects of evolving networks and uncertainty in networks at the cutting edges of different types of networks and from the perspective of different layers defining these networks.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitätsstr. 14-16, 48143 Münster|
Phone: 02 51 / 83-2 29 10
Fax: 02 51 / 83-2 83 99
Web page: http://www.ercis.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hammer, Michael & Champy, James, 1993. "Reengineering the corporation: A manifesto for business revolution," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 90-91.
- Trautmann, Gerhard & Bals, Lydia & Hartmann, Evi, 2009. "Global sourcing in integrated network structures: The case of hybrid purchasing organizations," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 194-208, June.
- van Baalen, P.J. & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J.M. & van Heck, H.W.G.M., 2005.
"Knowledge sharing in an Emerging Network of Practice: The Role of a Knowledge Portal,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2005-003-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- van Baalen, Peter & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline & van Heck, Eric, 2005. "Knowledge Sharing in an Emerging Network of Practice:: The Role of a Knowledge Portal," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 300-314, June.
- Dan Braha & Yaneer Bar-Yam, 2004. "Information Flow Structure in Large-Scale Product Development Organizational Networks," Industrial Organization 0407012, EconWPA.
- Laurence E. Lynn, Jr. & Carolyn J. Heinrich & Carolyn J. Hill, 1999. "Studying Governance and Public Management: Challenges and Prospects," Working Papers 9930, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Björkman, Ingmar & Kock, Sören, 1995. "Social relationships and business networks: The case of Western companies in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 519-535.
- Günter J. Hitsch, 2006. "An Empirical Model of Optimal Dynamic Product Launch and Exit Under Demand Uncertainty," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(1), pages 25-50, 01-02.
- X. Frank Zhang, 2006. "Information Uncertainty and Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 105-137, 02.
- Avinash Dixit, 2009. "Governance Institutions and Economic Activity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 5-24, March.
- Hakansson, Hakan & Ford, David, 2002. "How should companies interact in business networks?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 133-139, February.
- Donald P. Morgan, 2002. "Rating Banks: Risk and Uncertainty in an Opaque Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 874-888, September.
- Christine M. Beckman & Pamela R. Haunschild & Damon J. Phillips, 2004. "Friends or Strangers? Firm-Specific Uncertainty, Market Uncertainty, and Network Partner Selection," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(3), pages 259-275, June.
- Eccles, Robert G., 1981. "The quasifirm in the construction industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 335-357, December.
- George Bittlingmayer, 1998. "Output, Stock Volatility, and Political Uncertainty in a Natural Experiment: Germany, 1880-1940," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2243-2257, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ercisw:11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.