An analysis of mammography decisions with a focus on educational differences
I analyze the decisions on undertaking breast screening by women aged 50-64 in the UK. I provide estimation results on the discounting of the potential future benefits of screening. I also analyze the education diÂ¤erences in mammography decisions,and examine the underlying mechanism how education inÂ‡uences breast screening attendance. The reduced form estimation results suggest that the observed education gradient is mainly due to diÂ¤erences in health behaviors and health care attitudes.Using the institutional settings of the UK, I estimate a structural model, which reveals that although there are diÂ¤erences in the disutility of breast screening along the education level, there is no such diÂ¤erence in the estimated discount factor. I also Â…nd some evidence that women are forward looking when deciding on mammography attendance,and might even overestimate the potential beneÂ…ts of mammography.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/postgrad/herc/hedg/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurer, Jürgen, 2009.
"Who has a clue to preventing the flu? Unravelling supply and demand effects on the take-up of influenza vaccinations,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 704-717, May.
- JÃ¼rgen Maurer, 2008. "Who has a clue to preventing the flu? Unravelling supply and demand effects on the take-up of influenza vaccinations," MEA discussion paper series 08170, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Hotz, V Joseph & Miller, Robert A, 1993.
"Conditional Choice Probabilities and the Estimation of Dynamic Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 497-529, July.
- V. Joseph Hotz & Robert A. Miller, 1992. "Conditional Choice Probabilities and the Estimation of Dynamic Models," Working Papers 9202, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Hotz, V.J. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Conditional Choice Probabilities and the Estimation of Dynamic Models," GSIA Working Papers 1992-12, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Cutler, David M. & Lleras-Muney, Adriana, 2010. "Understanding differences in health behaviors by education," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Jason M. Fletcher & David E. Frisvold, 2009.
"Higher Education and Health Investments: Does More Schooling Affect Preventive Health Care Use?,"
Journal of Human Capital,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(2), pages 144-176.
- Jason M. Fletcher & David Frisvold, 2008. "Higher Education and Health Investments: Does More Schooling Affect Preventive Health Care Use?," Emory Economics 0813, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Hanming Fang & Yang Wang, 2010.
"Estimating Dynamic Discrete Choice Models with Hyperbolic Discounting, with an Application to Mammography Decisions,"
NBER Working Papers
16438, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanming Fang & Yang Wang, 2010. "Estimating Dynamic Discrete Choice Models with Hyperbolic Discounting, with an Application to Mammography Decisions," PIER Working Paper Archive 10-033, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2008-05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Picone, Gabriel & Uribe, Martin & Mark Wilson, R., 1998. "The effect of uncertainty on the demand for medical care, health capital and wealth," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 171-185, April.
- Marjon van der Pol, 2011. "Health, education and time preference," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(8), pages 917-929, 08.
- Sirven, Nicolas & Or, Zeynep & Jusot, Florence, 2012. "Variations in preventive care utilisation in Europe," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7402, Paris Dauphine University.
- Thierry Magnac & David Thesmar, 2002. "Identifying Dynamic Discrete Decision Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 801-816, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:hectdg:12/11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Rawlings)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.