An analysis of mammography decisions with a focus on educational differences
I analyze the decisions on undertaking breast screening by women aged 50-64 in the UK. I provide estimation results on the discounting of the potential future benefits of screening. I also analyze the education diÂ¤erences in mammography decisions,and examine the underlying mechanism how education inÂ‡uences breast screening attendance. The reduced form estimation results suggest that the observed education gradient is mainly due to diÂ¤erences in health behaviors and health care attitudes.Using the institutional settings of the UK, I estimate a structural model, which reveals that although there are diÂ¤erences in the disutility of breast screening along the education level, there is no such diÂ¤erence in the estimated discount factor. I also Â…nd some evidence that women are forward looking when deciding on mammography attendance,and might even overestimate the potential beneÂ…ts of mammography.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HEDG/HERC, Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom|
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/postgrad/herc/hedg/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurer, Jürgen, 2009.
"Who has a clue to preventing the flu? Unravelling supply and demand effects on the take-up of influenza vaccinations,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 704-717, May.
- JÃ¼rgen Maurer, 2008. "Who has a clue to preventing the flu? Unravelling supply and demand effects on the take-up of influenza vaccinations," MEA discussion paper series 08170, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Picone, Gabriel & Uribe, Martin & Mark Wilson, R., 1998. "The effect of uncertainty on the demand for medical care, health capital and wealth," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 171-185, April.
- Jason M. Fletcher & David Frisvold, 2008.
"Higher Education and Health Investments: Does More Schooling Affect Preventive Health Care Use?,"
0813, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Jason M. Fletcher & David E. Frisvold, 2009. "Higher Education and Health Investments: Does More Schooling Affect Preventive Health Care Use?," Journal of Human Capital, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(2), pages 144-176.
- Uhrig, S.C. Noah, 2008. "The nature and causes of attrition in the British Household Panel Study," ISER Working Paper Series 2008-05, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- V. Joseph Hotz & Robert A. Miller, 1993. "Conditional Choice Probabilities and the Estimation of Dynamic Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 497-529.
- Hanming Fang & Yang Wang, 2010.
"Estimating Dynamic Discrete Choice Models with Hyperbolic Discounting, with an Application to Mammography Decisions,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
10-033, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Hanming Fang & Yang Wang, 2015. "Estimating Dynamic Discrete Choice Models With Hyperbolic Discounting, With An Application To Mammography Decisions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 56, pages 565-596, 05.
- Hanming Fang & Yang Wang, 2010. "Estimating Dynamic Discrete Choice Models with Hyperbolic Discounting, with an Application to Mammography Decisions," NBER Working Papers 16438, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/7402 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cutler, David M. & Lleras-Muney, Adriana, 2010. "Understanding differences in health behaviors by education," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Thierry Magnac & David Thesmar, 2002. "Identifying Dynamic Discrete Decision Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 801-816, March.
- Marjon van der Pol, 2011. "Health, education and time preference," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(8), pages 917-929, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:hectdg:12/11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Rawlings)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.