Intermediary and structural determinants of early childhood health in Colombia: exploring the role of communities
This study examines how structural determinants influence intermediary factors of child health inequities and how they operate through the communities where children live. In particular, we explore individual, family and community level characteristics associated with a composite indicator that quantitatively measures intermediary determinants of early childhood health in Colombia. We use data from the 2010 Colombian Demographic and Health Survey (DHS). Adopting the conceptual framework of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health (CSDH), three dimensions related to child health are represented in the index: behavioural factors, psychosocial factors and health system. In order to generate the weight of the variables and take into account the discrete nature of the data, principal component analysis (PCA) using polychoric correlations are employed in the index construction. Weighted multilevel models are used to examine community effects. The results show that the effect of household’s SES is attenuated when community characteristics are included, indicating the importance that the level of community development may have in mediating individual and family characteristics. The findings indicate that there is a significant variance in intermediary determinants of child health between-community, especially for those determinants linked to the health system, even after controlling for individual, family and community characteristics. These results likely reflect that whilst the community context can exert a greater influence on intermediary factors linked directly to health, in the case of psychosocial factors and the parent’s behaviours, the family context can be more important. This underlines the importance of distinguishing between community and family intervention programmes.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Fundació Bosch i Gimpera, C. Baldiri i Reixac, 4-8, 08028 Barcelona|
Web page: http://www.xreap.cat
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Varela-Irimia, Xosé-Luís, 2011.
"Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990's,"
2072/169683, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Xosé-Luís Varela-Irimia, 2014. "Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990s," SERIEs- Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 419-455, November.
- Xosé-Luís Varela-Irimia, 2011. "Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990?s," Working Papers XREAP2011-11, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Aug 2011.
- Ahamad, Mazbahul Golam & Tasnima, Kaniz & Khaled, Nafisa & Bairagi, Subir Kanti & Deb, Uttam Kumar, 2010. "Infant Mortality Situation in Bangladesh in 2007: A District Level Analysis," MPRA Paper 21102, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hatt, Laurel E. & Waters, Hugh R., 2006. "Determinants of child morbidity in Latin America: A pooled analysis of interactions between parental education and economic status," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 375-386, January.
- Attanasio, Orazio & Gomez, Luis Carlos & Rojas, Ana Gomez & Vera-Hernandez, Marcos, 2004. "Child health in rural Colombia: determinants and policy interventions," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 411-438, December.
- Ana María Osorio & Catalina Bolancé & Manuela Alcañiz, 2011. "Measuring early childhood health: a composite index comparing Colombian departments," IREA Working Papers 201122, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2011.
- Vicente Royuela, 2012. "What about people in European Regional Science?," Working Papers XREAP2012-12, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised May 2012.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Vincenzo Di Maro & Marcos Vera‐Hernández, 2013. "Community Nurseries and the Nutritional Status of Poor Children. Evidence from Colombia," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 123, pages 1025-1058, 09.
- Laia Castany & Enrique Lopez-Bazo & Rosina Moreno, 2007.
"Decomposing differences in total factor productivity across firm size,"
IREA Working Papers
200705, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Mar 2007.
- Laia Castany & Enrique López-Bazo & Rosina Moreno, 2007. "Decomposing differences in total factor productivity across firm size," Working Papers XREAP2007-01, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Mar 2007.
- Magadi, Monica Akinyi & Madise, Nyovani Janet & Rodrigues, Roberto Nascimento, 2000. "Frequency and timing of antenatal care in Kenya: explaining the variations between women of different communities," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 551-561, August.
- Karina Acosta O., 2012. "La desnutrición en los primeros años de vida: Un análisis regional para Colombia," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL 009297, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Ulf Olsson, 1979. "Maximum likelihood estimation of the polychoric correlation coefficient," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 443-460, December.
- Andrea Saltelli, 2007. "Composite Indicators between Analysis and Advocacy," Social Indicators Research- An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 81(1), pages 65-77, March.
- Anna Matas & Josep Lluís Raymond, 2006. "Economic development and changes in car ownership patterns," Working Papers CREAP2006-01, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Jun 2006.
- Philippe Bocquier & Nyovani Madise & Eliya Zulu, 2011. "Is There an Urban Advantage in Child Survival in Sub-Saharan Africa? Evidence From 18 Countries in the 1990s," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 48(2), pages 531-558, May.
- Marta Arespa, 2011. "Macroeconomics of extensive margins: a simple model," Working Papers XREAP2011-19, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Nov 2011.
- Marta Arespa, 2011. "A New Open Economy Macroeconomic Model with Endogenous Portfolio Diversifi cation and Firms Entry," Working Papers XREAP2011-15, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Oct 2011.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:xrp:wpaper:xreap2012-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XREAP)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.