What about people in European Regional Science?
The 51st ERSA Conference held in Barcelona in 2011 was one of the largest ever. Here, by examining the characteristics of the conference, this paper identifies the main trends in Regional Science at a moment in which the discipline is renewing its efforts to provide responses in a complex, globalised world in which cities and regions are acquiring greater and greater importance. This paper follows in the tradition of a long list of studies that have examined the nature of the field of Regional Science and draws on a broad array of sources of information: the delegates’ demographic details, the conference program itself, a satisfaction survey conducted among delegates, a quality survey addressed to those chairing the sessions and, finally, a bibliometric database including each author signing a paper presented at the conference. With this information we describe the ERSA delegates: their relative youthfulness; the areas in which women are taking on a more important role; the countries and regions of the world that have the most dominant profile in Regional Science today; the thematic areas that are being driven by professionals as opposed to academics; the relevance of regional economic growth and innovation as trending topics in the field; the growing frequency of co-authorship and, consequently, of scientific collaboration; and, finally, and perhaps most importantly, the continuous enhancement of the quality of the work being undertaken in the discipline. Indeed, following on from this description, the results of the regression analysis conducted show that for ERSA delegates what matters most is quality, and this must be the direction that future conferences should move toward. Ultimately, therefore, ERSA conferences are comprehensive, all-embracing occasions, representing an ideal opportunity for regional scientists to present their work to each other and to network.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Fundació Bosch i Gimpera, C. Baldiri i Reixac, 4-8, 08028 Barcelona|
Web page: http://www.xreap.cat
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Carlos Duque & Raúl Ramos & Vicente Royuela, 2011.
"Research networks and scientific production in Economics: The recent Spanish Experience,"
REVISTA ECOS DE ECONOMÍA,
UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT, June.
- Raul Ramos & Vicente Royuela & Juan Carlos Duque, 2007. "Research networks and scientific production in Economics, The recent Spanish Experience," IREA Working Papers 200701, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jan 2007.
- Borghans, Lex & Romans, Margo & Sauermann, Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labour economists," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 868-874, October.
- Borghans Lex & Romans Margo & Sauermann Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labor economists," Research Memorandum 020, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Borghans, Lex & Romans, Margo & Sauermann, Jan, 2010. "What Makes a Good Conference? Analysing the Preferences of Labor Economists," IZA Discussion Papers 4870, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Borghans Lex & Romans Margo & Sauermann Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labour economists," ROA Research Memorandum 005, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Daniel Albalate & Germà Bel, 2008. "Tourism and urban transport: Holding demand pressure under supply constraints," Working Papers XREAP2008-14, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2008.
- Jouke van Dijk, 2012. "Regional Science matters," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(1), pages 1-2, 03.
- Laia Castany & Enrique Lopez-Bazo & Rosina Moreno, 2007. "Decomposing differences in total factor productivity across firm size," IREA Working Papers 200705, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Mar 2007.
- Laia Castany & Enrique López-Bazo & Rosina Moreno, 2007. "Decomposing differences in total factor productivity across firm size," Working Papers XREAP2007-01, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Mar 2007.
- Xosé-Luís Varela-Irimia, 2014. "Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990s," SERIEs: Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 419-455, November.
- Xosé-Luís Varela-Irimia, 2011. "Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990?s," Working Papers XREAP2011-11, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Aug 2011.
- Varela-Irimia, Xosé-Luís, 2011. "Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990's," Working Papers 2072/169683, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Marta Arespa, 2011. "Macroeconomics of extensive margins: a simple model," Working Papers XREAP2011-19, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Nov 2011.
- Vicente ROYUELA & J.C. DUQUE & J. SURIÑACH, 2008. "Regional And Urban Science In France: Rankings Of Authors And Institutions And Publication Patterns During The Nineties," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 28, pages 207-232.
- Anna Matas & Josep Lluís Raymond, 2006. "Economic development and changes in car ownership patterns," Working Papers CREAP2006-01, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Jun 2006.
- Marta Arespa, 2011. "A New Open Economy Macroeconomic Model with Endogenous Portfolio Diversifi cation and Firms Entry," Working Papers XREAP2011-15, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Oct 2011.
- Richard Arnott & Neil Wrigley, 2003. "Editorial: Two Years On," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 1-3, January.
- Vicente Royuela & Juan Carlos Duque & Raul Ramos, 2005. "Regional and Urban Research in Italy during the Nineties: Evidence from Publications in Nine Top International Journals," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2005(3).
- Jordi Surinach Caralt & Juan Carlos Duque & Raul Ramos Lobo & Vicente Royuela Mora, 2002. "La investigacion regional en Espana: Un analisis bibliometrico," Working Papers in Economics 89, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:xrp:wpaper:xreap2012-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XREAP)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.