Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990?s
This paper computes and compares alternative quality-adjusted price indexes for new cars in Spain in the period 1990-2000. The proposed hedonic approach simultaneously controls for time-invariant unobserved product e¤ects and time-variant unobserved quality changes, that are assumed to be captured by model age e¤ects. The results show that the non-adjusted price index largely overstates the increase in the cost of living induced by changes in car prices and that previous evidence for this market have not measured the real extent of that bias, probably due to the omission of controls for unobservables. It is also shown that omitting age effects can also lead to misleading conclusions. The estimated price indexes give also some insights on what could have been the determinants of price evolution in the Spanish car market.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pcb.ub.edu/xreap
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan van Dalen & Ben Bode, 2004. "Quality-corrected price indices: the case of the Dutch new passenger car market, 1990-1999," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(11), pages 1169-1197.
- Jonathan Murray & Nicholas Sarantis, 1999. "Price-Quality Relations and Hedonic Price Indexes for Cars in the United Kingdom," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 5-27.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1995.
"Exact Hedonic Price Indexes,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(4), pages 634-53, November.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Exact Hedonic Price Indexes," Papers 95-11, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1995. "Exact Hedonic Price Indexes," NBER Working Papers 5061, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Exact Hedonic Price Indexes," Department of Economics 95-11, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Francisco Requena-Silvente & James Walker, 2006. "Calculating Hedonic Price Indices with Unobserved Product Attributes: An Application to the UK Car Market," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 73(291), pages 509-532, 08.
- Paul D. Chwelos & Ernst R. Berndt & Iain M. Cockburn, 2004.
"Faster, Smaller, Cheaper: An Hedonic Price Analysis of PDAs,"
NBER Working Papers
10746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- P. D. Chwelos & E. R. Berndt & I. M. Cockburn, 2008. "Faster, smaller, cheaper: an hedonic price analysis of PDAs," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(22), pages 2839-2856.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002.
"Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001),"
Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles,
Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Reis, Hugo J. & Santos Silva, J.M.C., 2006. "Hedonic prices indexes for new passenger cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 890-908, December.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C. Santos Silva, 2003. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997- 2001)," Econometrics 0303003, EconWPA.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Working Papers w200210, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Tomat, Gian Maria, 2002. "Durable goods, price indexes and quality change: an application to automobile prices in Italy, 1988-1998," Working Paper Series 0118, European Central Bank.
- Ariel Pakes, 2002.
"A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's,"
NBER Working Papers
8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ariel Pakes, 2003. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indexes with an Application to PC's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1578-1596, December.
- Anna Matas & Josep-Lluis Raymond, 2009. "Hedonic prices for cars: an application to the Spanish car market, 1981-2005," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(22), pages 2887-2904.
- Gian Maria Tomat, 2002. "Durable goods, price indexes and quality change: an application to automobile prices in Italy, 1988-1998," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 439, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Cowling, Keith & Cubbin, John, 1972. "Hedonic Price Indexes for United Kingdom Cars," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 963-78, September.
- C. Lanier Benkard & Patrick Bajari, 2005. "Hedonic Price Indexes With Unobserved Product Characteristics, and Application to Personal Computers," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 61-75, January.
- Kenneth Brown, 2000. "Hedonic price indexes and the distribution of buyers across the product space: an application to mainframe computers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1801-1808.
- Ohta, Makoto, 1987. "Gasoline Cost and Hedonic Price Indexes of U.S. Used Cars for 1970-1983," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(4), pages 521-28, October.
- Mario Izquierdo & Omar Licandro & Alberto Maydey, . "Car quality improvements and price indices in Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 121, FEDEA.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1998. "Consumer Prices, the Consumer Price Index, and the Cost of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
- Triplett, Jack E, 1969. "Automobiles and Hedonic Quality Measurement," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 408-17, May/June.
- Mick Silver & Saeed Heravi, 2004. "Hedonic Price Indexes and the Matched Models Approach," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(1), pages 24-49, 01.
- Christos Ioannidis & Mick Silver, 2003. "Chained, exact and superlative hedonic price changes: estimates from microdata," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 1005-1014.
- Olympia Bover & Mario Izquierdo, 2003. "Quality-adjusted prices: hedonic methods and implications for national accounts," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 27(2), pages 199-238, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:xrp:wpaper:xreap2011-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.