Quality-adjusted prices: hedonic methods and implications for national accounts
Rapid technological progress in recent years has exacerbated the problems that arise in measuring price changes and, consequently, economic magnitudes at constant prices when changes in the quality of products occur. A natural means of tackling these measurement problems is to use hedonic price indices. This survey focuses on the use of hedonic methodology and its implications for the construction of deflators for significant National Accounts aggregates. It thus describes what hedonic methodology involves and analyses the various hedonic studies existing in the literature and the use made of hedonic methodology by different public statistics offices in the computers and related equipment, cars, and housing sectors. Finally, the implications of the use of these hedonic techniques for the estimation in real terms of macroeconomic magnitudes are reviewed.
Volume (Year): 27 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain|
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/revistas/presentacion.asp Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1987. "The Estimation of Demand Parameters in Hedonic Price Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 81-88, February.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995.
"Exact Hedonic Price Indexes,"
Department of Economics
95-11, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2002.
"Identifying Hedonic Models,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 304-309, May.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars P. Nesheim, 2003.
"Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models,"
NBER Working Papers
9910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ekeland, Ivar & Heckman, James J. & Nesheim, Lars, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," IZA Discussion Papers 853, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ivar Ekeland & James Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2002. "Identification and estimation of hedonic models," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 1031, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andrew Baldwin & Pierre Despres & Alice Nakamura & Masao Nakamura, 1996. "New Goods from the Perspective of Price Index Making in Canada and Japan," NBER Chapters, in: The Economics of New Goods, pages 437-476 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches, 1990.
"Price Indexes for Microcomputers: An Exploratory Study,"
NBER Working Papers
3378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches, 1993. "Price Indexes for Microcomputers: An Exploratory Study," NBER Chapters, in: Price Measurements and Their Uses, pages 63-100 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bover, Olympia & Velilla Lucini, Pilar, 2002.
"Hedonic House Prices Without Characteristics: The Case of New Multiunit Housing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3161, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bover, Olympia & Velilla, Pilar, 2002. "Hedonic house prices without characteristics: the case of new multiunit housing," Working Paper Series 0117, European Central Bank.
- John M. Clapp & Carmelo Giaccotto & Dogan Tirtiroglu, 1991. "Housing Price Indices Based on All Transactions Compared to Repeat Subsamples," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 270-285.
- Case, Bradford & Quigley, John M, 1991. "The Dynamics of Real Estate Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 50-58, February.
- Zvi Griliches, 1964. "Notes on the Measurement of Price and Quality Changes," NBER Chapters, in: Models of Income Determination, pages 381-418 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ucp:bknber:9780226304557 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert J. Gordon, 1990. "The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gord90-1, June.
- Bradford Case & Henry O. Pollakowski & Susan M. Wachter, 1991. "On Choosing Among House Price Index Methodologies," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 286-307.
- Cassel, Eric & Mendelsohn, Robert, 1985. "The choice of functional forms for hedonic price equations: Comment," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 135-142, September.
- Donald R. Haurin & Patric H. Hendershott, 1991. "House Price Indexes: Issues and Results," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 259-269.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iec:inveco:v:27:y:2003:i:2:p:199-238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.