Car quality improvements and price indices in Spain
The main goals of this study are to measure quality improvements in automobile sector in Spain and to estimate the quality bias in car price index released by INE. In order to do that, we propose an alternative methodology to estimate hedonic regressions. This methodology involves classifying the "indicators" of quality of an automobile in "sub-indices" that reflect different aspects of quality, subsequently grouping the sub-indices in an overall quality index. Consequently, car quality can be measured by a readily interpretable index; and its price can be estimated with statistical accuracy in an hedonic regression where the overall quality index is used as regressor. Results indicate that the implicit quality bias in the car price index released by INE is 3.1 % per year.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BARRIOS, Salvador & DE LUCIO, Juan José, .
"Economic integration and regional business cycles: evidence from the Iberian regions,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1655, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Salvador Barrios & Juan Jose Lucio, 2003. "Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian Regions," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 497-515, 09.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & de LUCIO, Juan José, 2002. "Economic integration and regional business cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions," CORE Discussion Papers 2002073, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Salvador Barrios & Juan José de Lucio, . "Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions," Working Papers 2001-17, FEDEA.
- Gordon, Robert J., 1990. "The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226304557.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1990. "The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gord90-1, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaddt:2001-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.