Estimating pure inflation in the Polish economy
This paper uses a restricted factor model to estimate the HICP index excluding relative prices changes. The index thus obtained, hereinafter referred to as pure inflation, demonstrates stronger relationship to the central bank instrument (short-term interest rate) than the HICP index and selected measures of core inflation. Pure inflation has also a forecasting performance for future HICP comparable or better than that of competing models. The estimated variable indicates a much weaker role of changes in relative prices in the recent period of rising inflation (2006-2008) than during previous inflation increases (1999-2000 and 2004-05). This may show that inflation was mainly driven by demand pressures in the years 2006-2008.
|Date of creation:||28 Jun 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 02-513 Warszawa, ul. Madalinskiego 6/8|
Phone: + (48)(22) 49 12 51
Fax: + (48)(22) 49 53 12
Web page: http://www.sgh.waw.pl/instytuty/zes
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1993.
"Relative-price changes as aggregate supply shocks,"
93-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ball, L. & Mankiw, G.H., 1992. "Relative-Price Change as Aggregate Supply Shocks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1609, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1992. "Relative-Price Changes as Aggregate Supply Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert W. Rich & Charles Steindel, 2005. "A review of core inflation and an evaluation of its measures," Staff Reports 236, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Riccardo Cristadoro & Mario Forni & Lucrezia Reichlin & Giovanni Veronese, 2001.
"A core inflation index for the euro area,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
435, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Rita S. Chu & Charles Steindel, 2000. "The unreliability of inflation indicators," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 6(Apr).
- Mark W. Watson & Ricardo Reis, 2007.
"Measuring changes in the value of the numeraire,"
2007 Meeting Papers
324, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Reis, Ricardo & Watson, Mark W., 2007. "Measuring changes in the value of the numeraire," Kiel Working Papers 1364, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Ricardo Reis & Mark W. Watson, 2007. "Measuring changes in the value of the numeraire," Kiel Working Papers 1364, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Marlene Amstad & Simon M. Potter, 2009. "Real time underlying inflation gauges for monetary policymakers," Staff Reports 420, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993.
"The Consumer Price Index as a Measure of Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
4505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993. "The consumer price index as a measure of inflation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 15-24.
- Ricardo Reis & Mark W. Watson, 2010.
"Relative Goods' Prices, Pure Inflation, and the Phillips Correlation,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 128-157, July.
- Ricardo Reis & Mark W. Watson, 2007. "Relative Goods' Prices, Pure Inflation, and the Phillips Correlation," NBER Working Papers 13615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michal Brzoza-Brzezina & Jesus Crespo Cuaresma, 2007.
"Mr. Wicksell and the global economy: What drives real interest rates?,"
2007-06, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Michal Brzoza-Brzezina & Jesus Crespo Cuaresma, 2008. "Mr. Wicksell and the global economy: What drives real interest rates?," Working Papers 139, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Stock J.H. & Watson M.W., 2002. "Forecasting Using Principal Components From a Large Number of Predictors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1167-1179, December.
- Haroon Mumtaz & Paolo Surico, 2012. "Evolving International Inflation Dynamics: World And Country-Specific Factors," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 716-734, 08.
- Ziegler, Christina & Eickmeier, Sandra, 2006. "How good are dynamic factor models at forecasting output and inflation? A meta-analytic approach," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,42, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Jacek Kotlowski, 2008. "Forecasting inflation with dynamic factor model – the case of Poland," Working Papers 24, Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000.
"Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1504, Econometric Society.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2002. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 191-221, January.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 440, Boston College Department of Economics.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok & Charles H. Whiteman, 2003. "International Business Cycles: World, Region, and Country-Specific Factors," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1216-1239, September.
- Forni, Mario & Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1999.
"The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Identification and Estimation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2000. "The Generalized Dynamic-Factor Model: Identification And Estimation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 540-554, November.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Lucrezia Reichlin & Marco Lippi, 2000. "The generalised dynamic factor model: identification and estimation," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10143, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 2002. "Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Diffusion Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-162, April.
- Reis, Ricardo & Watson, Mark W, 2007. "Relative Goods’ Prices and Pure Inflation," CEPR Discussion Papers 6593, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wse:wpaper:37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcin Owczarczuk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.