The Effect of National Policies and Labor Market on Land Use Decisions in Developing Countries: An Application of Maximum Simulated Likelihood to System of Censored Acreages with Panel Data
This paper estimates land use responses of households to relative output prices and wages, using panel data from the Philippines. We present multi-output profit maximizing model to elicit the role of relative prices on land allocation between crops and fallowing. We estimate systems of random effects Tobit acreage equations using maximum simulated likelihood technique. The results show that rising return to labor and management intensive crop reduces land expansion. In addition rising wages also reduce agricultural expansion. The results reveal a potential role for market based policies in shaping environmental outcomes in developing countries.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coyle, Barry T., 1993. "On Modeling Systems Of Crop Acreage Demands," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- IAN COXHEAD & Agnes Rola, 1999. "Do National Markets and Price Policies Affect Land Use at the Forest Margin? Evidence from the Philippines," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 426, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Rodr Guez-Meza, Jorge & Southgate, Douglas & Gonz Lez-Vega, Claudio, 2004. "Rural poverty, household responses to shocks, and agricultural land use: panel results for El Salvador," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 225-239, May.
- Raghbendra Jha & John Whalley, 2001.
"The Environmental Regime in Developing Countries,"
in: Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy, pages 217-250
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain, 1993. "Simulation-based inference : A survey with special reference to panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 5-33, September.
- Ian Coxhead & Agnes Rola & Kwansoo Kim, 2001. "How Do National Markets and Price Policies Affect Land Use at the Forest Margin? Evidence from the Philippines," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(2), pages 250-267.
- Holt, Matthew T., 1999. "A Linear Approximate Acreage Allocation Model," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Shively, Gerald & Pagiola, Stefano, 2004. "Agricultural intensification, local labor markets, and deforestation in the Philippines," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 241-266, May.
- Coxhead, Ian & Shively, Gerald & Shuai, Xiaobing, 2002. "Development policies, resource constraints, and agricultural expansion on the Philippine land frontier," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 341-363, May.
- J. Scott Shonkwiler & Steven T. Yen, 1999. "Two-Step Estimation of a Censored System of Equations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 972-982.
- Feder, Gershon, 1985. "The relation between farm size and farm productivity : The role of family labor, supervision and credit constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 297-313, August.
- Michael R. Carter & Yang Yao, 2002. "Local versus Global Separability in Agricultural Household Models: The Factor Price Equalization Effect of Land Transfer Rights," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 702-715.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Kotwal, Ashok, 1986. "Access to Capital and Agrarian Production Organisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(382), pages 482-98, June.
- Moore, Michael R. & Negri, Donald H., 1992. "A Multicrop Production Model Of Irrigated Agriculture, Applied To Water Allocation Policy Of The Bureau Of Reclamation," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Luojia Hu, 2002. "Estimation of a Censored Dynamic Panel Data Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(6), pages 2499-2517, November.
- Ian Coxhead, 1996.
"Induced Innovation and Land Degradation in Developing Country Agriculture,"
Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers
398, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Coxhead, Ian A., 1997. "Induced innovation and land degradation in developing country agriculture," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 41(3), September.
- Ian COXHEAD, 1996. "Induced Innovation And Land Degradation In Developing Country Agriculture," Staff Papers 398, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpot:0503007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.